Alaska - Is it worth it??

Beachammo

We had a balcony cabin on our AK cruise, and only used it for one or two hours, one time, during the entire 10 days. Being up on deck was 1000% better! Fabulous all-around views, and sunnier. When we go again, we will book an inside, or possibly (depending on price) oceanview.

We are going on Royal Caribbeans Explorer of the Seas for the first time to Alaska in June 2017. So excited! After 4 Caribbean cruises my DH thought it is time to try something else. Got our GS for the second time too. Whoever on this forum who said "Once a GS it is hard to go back to regular stateroom", they were absolutely right. ;) In planning stages only for excursions but train ride in Skagway is a must. Flying in to Seattle 2 days prior, any hotel suggestions are appreciated. :)

I think its definitely possible to do Alaska on a budget. I got an inside room on Celebrity Millennium 7-night N.B. at the end of May 2017 with gratuities for $1,500 for 2 people. I plan on flying in to enjoy two days of Vancouver and approximately $400-500 per person for excursions...this is where I wanted to spend the most so I chose to save on the cabin. A lot of people say balconies are fantastic for Alaska, but I'd rather spend the time on the upper decks to get the full surround view.

I used my balcony more on my Alaska cruise than on any other cruise I've ever taken. The scenery was mesmerizing. For the most part the weather was cool and damp and I sat out there in my new RCI fleece-lined jacket studying the passing scene and taking a ridiculous amount of pictures. Both my DD and I were caught totally unaware by just what an incredible experience this cruise was.

It was absolutely the most expensive vacation (bypassing the 2 weeks in Hawaii and the expensive POA easily) but it was worth every penny.

So yes, I did Alaska on a budget ... a big budget. We did things we've never done before, including flightseeing and white-water rafting. And we made memories that were priceless.

Whitewater%20Rafting%202015%20065_zps2okqcqtw.jpg

Been on over a dozen cruises in the Caribbean and always book a balcony.

Our family had three aft balconies on the Radiance Northbound the last week of July 2014 for our Alaska cruise. It rained or poured all day for five consecutive days, the fog was so low we couldn't even see the horizon. So visions of sitting out on our balcony watching the beautiful scenery and looking for wildlife were non existent. The furniture and railing on the balcony remained wet all the time. If you stood at the railing to look out, the water from the balcony above us would just drip on your head.

We finally had a beautiful day for Hubbard Glacier and spent most of our time up on deck or the public areas anyway. It was beautiful!

We did run back to our cabin once our side of the ship was facing the glacier only to say, let's go upstairs and view from the upper decks. It was nice sharing the view with all the other passengers. We took their photos with the glacier in the background and they took ours. This happened several times. We would of never had those photo opportunities if we stayed in our cabin. It was great sharing the excitement and awe with everyone.

I quickly looked at the pricing for Alaska this summer and said to my DH if we go again this summer I would book a window stateroom and save over $1500. I think he was shocked, since I am the one who always wants a balcony.

The public areas on the Radiance have a lot of glass which makes public viewing very easy.

Just my opinion, you can't always count on good weather to use the balcony. Coming from NY we are used to the cold weather so we were prepared to be cool but not for the unrelenting downpours. Balcony was useless to us with the constant rain. I am looking to cruise Alaska again but this time I am looking at window staterooms.

We are going on Royal Caribbeans Explorer of the Seas for the first time to Alaska in June 2017. So excited! After 4 Caribbean cruises my DH thought it is time to try something else. Got our GS for the second time too. Whoever on this forum who said "Once a GS it is hard to go back to regular stateroom", they were absolutely right. ;) In planning stages only for excursions but train ride in Skagway is a must. Flying in to Seattle 2 days prior, any hotel suggestions are appreciated. :)

Congrats on your decision to book Alaska. We went last year for the first time and loved it. We will go back someday. We booked the Hyatt downtown so that we could walk to Pikes Market. Check to see if you can get any discounts on one of your credit cards or use any points that you may have accumulated. We signed up for a Southwest Airline credit card and paid for the cruise and for signing up we received 50,000 points to use for our airfare to Seattle. Research your ports and excursions. Alaska has a lot of national parks that are free of charge. We visited the Totem Pole Park while in Ketchikan and it was amazing. We were able to walk to it then on the way back we walked through local neighbors.

Edited by krazy4kruisin

Ok....I got balcony cabin 9256 on hold for the Alaska one way on Radiance July 28th, 2017. I'm hesitant....there is something in me that won't allow myself to spend over 4k for a seven day cruise ($600 a night). I can spend 4 weeks in the Caribbean in a balcony cabin with MSC for about the same price! Or go around the Mediterranean for 14 days with Royal in the same 9256 cabin.

What makes Alaska soo expensive? There is enough competition that prices really shouldn't be that high.

Opinions?

The most expensive vacation I've ever gone on! BUT also the MOST AMAZING! The memories my family made will last a lifetime, and I definitely recommend it if you can afford it. DW and I definitely sacrificed a few things we wanted (house renovations, new car, etc.) but it was well worth it!

Here is a picture review I did, hope it helps sway you one way or another. Either way enjoy whatever you do :) Good luck!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2246535

we did a Princess Cruise in 2002 - the first one of the season (so first or second week in May). We thought it would be cold, rainy, etc. We have great pictures of us sitting out on the deck in shorts and t-shirts in 75 degree weather drinking tropical drinks. Because we went early in the season, we got to do things that were not available once the snow melted (snowshoe excursion to a glacier, for example).

Dont be afraid of the earlier, cheaper dates!

Just my opinion, you can't always count on good weather to use the balcony. Coming from NY we are used to the cold weather so we were prepared to be cool but not for the unrelenting downpours. Balcony was useless to us with the constant rain. I am looking to cruise Alaska again but this time I am looking at window staterooms.

Also check Celebrity: on some cruises balconies are the same price as OV. Make sure to add your residency to check for those discounts, too. They are offering free perks today but I thought the residency rate (NJ) was a better deal for the cruise I was checking.

Ok....I got balcony cabin 9256 on hold for the Alaska one way on Radiance July 28th, 2017. I'm hesitant....there is something in me that won't allow myself to spend over 4k for a seven day cruise ($600 a night). I can spend 4 weeks in the Caribbean in a balcony cabin with MSC for about the same price! Or go around the Mediterranean for 14 days with Royal in the same 9256 cabin.

What makes Alaska soo expensive? There is enough competition that prices really shouldn't be that high.

Opinions?

Ouch, that's high!

We did our Alaska Cruises on Celebrity and HAL and spent about half that. Biggest difference is we waited for deals (which there are TONS to Alaska). We sailed in June and July and both times booked between March-May.

Since you are in a standard cabin I can't think of a reason why you have booked 18 months in advance?

Ouch, that's high!

We did our Alaska Cruises on Celebrity and HAL and spent about half that. Biggest difference is we waited for deals (which there are TONS to Alaska). We sailed in June and July and both times booked between March-May.

Since you are in a standard cabin I can't think of a reason why you have booked 18 months in advance?

9256 is a very hard to get cabin.