Canada ETA required?

Blondie008

Hi

I know after March 2016 ETAs are required for entry to Canada by air

I was asked the question "are you arriving by air" - ticked no - (going into Victoria by sea of course) - so it would seem an ETA is not required for arrival by ship. When I ticked no - it "exited" me from the ETA process.

Is this the case? Can anyone confirm for sure - UK citizen if it makes any difference.

Oh and for anyone who DOES require an ETA if flying in - please note there are a LOT of cowboys out there tapping into this - as they do when you apply for a US ESTA - its 7$ for an ETA - one outfit I just about completed a process on was charging me $58 - The agencies are in small print - all looks like to official Canadian gov site - but they are agencies. I got ripped off by a USA agency first time I applied for an ESTA - same thing. So be warned if you are flying into Canada and need an ETA - get on to the government site - not the agencies .

Anyone else looking at this?

Just answered my own question - found it on online check in :p

British citizens

Starting March 15, 2016, you need an eTA to visit or transit Canada by air. You can apply now for an eTA.

If you travel before March 15, 2016, you do not need an eTA but you can still apply for one. For now, make sure you travel with acceptable travel documents and identification, such as a valid passport.

If you travel by land or sea, you will not need an eTA when you enter Canada. However, you must travel with acceptable travel documents and identification.

How to apply for an eTA

Applying for an eTA is a simple online process that takes just a few minutes. To apply you must have a valid passport or accepted travel document, credit card, and email address.

Find answers to your questions about the eTA application process.

Confirm your eligibility and apply for an eTA

Just answered my own question - found it on online check in :p

British citizens

Starting March 15, 2016, you need an eTA to visit or transit Canada by air. You can apply now for an eTA.

If you travel before March 15, 2016, you do not need an eTA but you can still apply for one. For now, make sure you travel with acceptable travel documents and identification, such as a valid passport.

If you travel by land or sea, you will not need an eTA when you enter Canada. However, you must travel with acceptable travel documents and identification.

How to apply for an eTA

Applying for an eTA is a simple online process that takes just a few minutes. To apply you must have a valid passport or accepted travel document, credit card, and email address.

Find answers to your questions about the eTA application process.

Confirm your eligibility and apply for an eTA

I'm Canadian and probably not very well informed re travel docs, but what is an ETA? To me that's estimated time of arrival and I'm sure this isn't it...LOL. Assume it's a travel doc but why and what does it cover? Never heard Canada needed anything other than a passport for British citizens and maybe not even that.

I'm Canadian and probably not very well informed re travel docs, but what is an ETA? To me that's estimated time of arrival and I'm sure this isn't it...LOL. Assume it's a travel doc but why and what does it cover? Never heard Canada needed anything other than a passport for British citizens and maybe not even that.

Bring yourself up to date with a little light reading:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/eta.asp

Now you know! :)

Thanks for the heads up on this - I'm travelling to US then up to Canada before my Alaskan cruise whilst likely I will cross the border by train or bus from Washington I might end up flying so better get one just in case!

Thanks! I always thought the British had the same 'entry rights' as Canadians and more than Americans. Just wait until the 'wall' is built. We won't even be able to get in...lol.

If it ever reaches the point where that particular wall is built, I'm not sure that I'd want to get in! :eek: