Food suggestions for post gastric sleeve cruiser

cruisinmeme

We will be sailing in 5 weeks, putting me at close to 3 months post op. I am doing fantastic, know how much food I can eat and pretty well know the drill.

Still looking for ideas I may not think about that would help if any of you that cruised so soon after surgery found.

Firstly CONGRATS on the best thing you could have done for yourself, I am 3 years post op VSG and have lost 400 lbs so far...80 more to go.

The ships water is good really good so drink plenty as we are supposed to do and stick with chicken and fish dishes the red meat tends to be to fatty although ok in moderation.

I use Unjury protein and bring mixer bottles as I stock up on low fat milk in the mornings so getting powder onboard is not an issue.

Take pictures of the breads and desserts ONLY remember we already know what they taste like so pass them up.

My email is on the bottom if you ever need support please contact me. VSG really saves lives 670 lbs to 260 lbs in 3 years I'M ALIVE again like a teenager.

BigCraig(formerly Big)

Edited by bigcraig

Firstly CONGRATS on the best thing you could have done for yourself, I am 3 years post op VSG and have lost 400 lbs so far...80 more to go.

The ships water is good really good so drink plenty as we are supposed to do and stick with chicken and fish dishes the red meat tends to be to fatty although ok in moderation.

I use Unjury protein and bring mixer bottles as I stock up on low fat milk in the mornings so getting powder onboard is not an issue.

Take pictures of the breads and desserts ONLY remember we already know what they taste like so pass them up.

My email is on the bottom if you ever need support please contact me. VSG really saves lives 670 lbs to 260 lbs in 3 years I'M ALIVE again like a teenager.

BigCraig(formerly Big)

Congratulations to the OP, to both of you!

I had the full bypass and sailed a few months later. Lots to eat just like at home. Just be sensible and use the same judgement as home and you will be fine.

Also if your prone to dehydration after surgery... My physician writes a note saying I need 84 oz of Gatorade G2 (which is way more then your allowed to bring on-board). With the note, they let me bring as much as I need.

Hope this helps.

Congratulations to the OP, to both of you!

Thanks, I used to wear pants size 80(Tight) and 7X shirts, nothing like walking in to Walmart and buy size XL pants and LG shirts OMG What a feeling no more expensive mail order clothing Never Ever Again.

Just want to say congrats! I had Duodenal Switch surgery 15 1/2 years ago. I have maintained 130 pound loss. I found eating on a cruise is actually easier to make the right choices. Everything is already made for you...you just have to choose. For lunch I mostly choose a piece of baked fish and salad bar. Some days I do get a sandwich from the Deli. At dinner I try to go for the shrimp cocktail for appetizer, I get more or less what I want for main but can only eat about 1/2. And for dessert, I order what I want and only want a bite or two. I always lose weight on a cruise.

Also if your prone to dehydration after surgery... My physician writes a note saying I need 84 oz of Gatorade G2 (which is way more then your allowed to bring on-board). With the note, they let me bring as much as I need.

Hope this helps.

Did you know it comes in powder?

Thanks everyone for all the cheerleading.lol

I am still to the point I can only eat about 1/2 cup or less so have to pick wisely. You should see me at our church dinners... I take 2 short green beans, 1 fried okra, just to have a taste of something besides my protein.

I really like the premier protein drinks so I will take some of those. I have preordered some bottled water. In my past life I would/could drink 3 glasses water at a meal.

So far no problem with dehydration , but will be careful.

Thanks everyone

I went a cruise in January and actually lost three pounds. I just ate very sensibly but the deserts on the carnival have never thrilled me anyway except for creme brule which I ordered and ate two bites and had enough. We walked and walked and walked (or so it seemed). The first night the waiter asked if everything was alright with my food and I just explained that I had surgery and could only eat a few bites of what ever it was I was eating.

We very rarely went to the buffet - always went to main dining room for breakfast and if I was hungry at lunch would usually have a bite or two of what ever hubs was eating. I did treat myself with a drink most days but I am a year out and 100 lbs down - 30 more to go.

I tried to really eat my protein as I didn't bring any protein powder with me - and drank bottled water the rest of the time.

With only being three months out your tummy will let you know when you are full - and if you are anything like me - if you try and overindulge you will be mostly mad at yourself since you will be in the bathroom with violent -well you know...

Good luck!

Cruising is the absolute best place to be after WLS. So easy to find something to eat.

For me it was the best decision I ever made. I hope that it will be the same for you. 12 yrs now and maintaining my weight. Size 10 now. I believe that my baby clothes were bigger than that!!

I have never had a problem on a cruise finding something to eat. I go for the protein first and than will eat the other stuff if still hungry. I find that if I eat

small meals every couple of hours that that works best for me. I am a snacker at heart so picking on something every couple of hours is not a chore.

I do not bring shakes with me as I don't drink them at home. There is plenty of protein to chose from on the ship. For me at breakfast it's bacon and eggs and maybe some cheese, coffee and sometimes juice. Mid-morning snack maybe some cheese, a strip of bacon and another coffee. Lunch is grilled / fried fish or chicken a veggie and desert. Mid afternoon might be a burger with grilled onions and tomatoes (no bread, too filling) or a couple of cookies. Dinner is the same protein first than whatever I want. I don't always finish whats on my plate. Sometimes I can't even eat half but that's ok. I know my limits and if I ignore those limits I am not comfortable. I also don't make excuses or provide explanation to others as to why I am eating or not eating something. Someone suggested that you go over to the "Disabled" forum but that's not where you need to go. With our surgeries we are NOT disabled but rather we are empowered and living a healthier life.

Just want to say congrats! I had Duodenal Switch surgery 15 1/2 years ago. I have maintained 130 pound loss. I found eating on a cruise is actually easier to make the right choices. Everything is already made for you...you just have to choose. For lunch I mostly choose a piece of baked fish and salad bar. Some days I do get a sandwich from the Deli. At dinner I try to go for the shrimp cocktail for appetizer, I get more or less what I want for main but can only eat about 1/2. And for dessert, I order what I want and only want a bite or two. I always lose weight on a cruise.

I also had DS surgery. Was so surprised to read that you had the same. We are a rare breed. Most have the bands or RNY. Glad to see your 15 1/2 yrs!

I had RNY in March of last year and cruised on the Breeze in December. I typically drink the Premier Protein Shakes for breakfast but chose not to lug that onboard. I found the best protein for breakfast in the MDR. There are a gazillion options for protein. And yes, the waiter at dinner will be very concerned at first when you don't finish your meal. Try to explain as best as you can. Sometimes you can order an appetizer size entree. You still won't eat it all but it's still less food.

Congrats to everyone who has posted here on your great achievements! It's not an easy journey but it's so incredibly worth it!!

And again, sanmarcosman, weight loss surgery is not a disability! I'm sure any one of us here would be happy to educate you on the procedure.

You do know that weight loss surgery is NOT a disability, right?

The surgery is not the disability but being huge in our world is and might need accommodations. Anything physical needing special attention/accommodations is lumped onto the Cruising Disabled board. Lots of good info over there. 'Gastric Bypass' comes up in this and other threads---

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1218007&highlight=gastric+bypass

I also had DS surgery. Was so surprised to read that you had the same. We are a rare breed. Most have the bands or RNY. Glad to see your 15 1/2 yrs!

Yes we are a rare breed! Funny, In the last year I started losing again. I had gained some back, about 60 pounds after an original loss of 155. I stayed there for quite a few years. In the last year I have taken off 45 pounds and still losing. So about 15 to go back down to where I was at a size 8. I am back in a 10 now and happy, but would be even happier 15 pounds down (though everyone says I was too thin at that weight). My only complication has been chronic anemia. But working on it! Best thing I ever did! you too?

Yes we are a rare breed! Funny, In the last year I started losing again. I had gained some back, about 60 pounds after an original loss of 155. I stayed there for quite a few years. In the last year I have taken off 45 pounds and still losing. So about 15 to go back down to where I was at a size 8. I am back in a 10 now and happy, but would be even happier 15 pounds down (though everyone says I was too thin at that weight). My only complication has been chronic anemia. But working on it! Best thing I ever did! you too?

Nice job!

I am 1 yr post sleeve and went on cruise 4 months after surgery. When I got on boat I went to meet the maitre d and told him I needed yogurt and soft foods available every 2 hrs due to surgery and in main dining room. He spoke with room service and kitchen staff, and during the day all I had to do was call room service and they would bring me anything I needed and every night in main dining they would give me a menu for the next night and have my meal ready when I got there. It made every thing so much easier. Also use the walking track as much as possible. Nothing goes faster than walking a mile on the high seas. Congratulations on the life changing event!!!

Thanks everyone for all the cheerleading.lol

I am still to the point I can only eat about 1/2 cup or less so have to pick wisely. You should see me at our church dinners... I take 2 short green beans, 1 fried okra, just to have a taste of something besides my protein.

I really like the premier protein drinks so I will take some of those. I have preordered some bottled water. In my past life I would/could drink 3 glasses water at a meal.

So far no problem with dehydration , but will be careful.

Thanks everyone

Wow, I remember those days. After surgery I started out with 1 pre-made meatball from Costco and it took me all day to eat it! Now I can finish a normal portion meal most of the time. Don't get discouraged. With time your food choices and amounts of food will expand and stabilize. I also pre-order cases of water. I do drink about 5-6 bottles of water a day so pre-ordering sure beats lugging the cases with us to the port.:D

Yes, the best thing I ever did and even with all the problems I had after surgery, (I had a wound infection) I would do it again in a heartbeat!!

Regarding your recent weight loss, I too, am going through the same. In the past 3 yrs it seems the DS kicked in again and I have lost an additional 50 lbs.

I am now where I wanted to be when I originally set my weight loss goal 12 yrs ago so I am happy! I seem to have stabilized. Now I gain a few lbs but than lose it within a week or two.

Did you even in your wildest dreams think that there would be a day that someone would tell you your, "too thin"?!?!?!:D:D

While I have not had surgery I have lost a bit of weight over the last year and a half. I am at the point of trying to maintain. I was having a 'difficult' day ready to blow it. Thanks for the thread!!!!!!!!! It has put me back into the right frame of mind.

We will be sailing in 5 weeks, putting me at close to 3 months post op. I am doing fantastic, know how much food I can eat and pretty well know the drill.

Still looking for ideas I may not think about that would help if any of you that cruised so soon after surgery found.

Congratulations!!. I had RNY 5 years ago. Everyone has given you great advice. carry with you a refillable water bottle, because I still can not eat and drink at the same time. I eat a lite breakfast, lite lunch- salad or soup and eat lots of fish at dinner or do appetizers if I want desert. I actually do better at the buffet than sit down, because I can control portion size. I carry protein bars for excursions. Two years after my surgery, I would drink a little wine(mixed with juice), but now I drink no alcohol and do not miss it.

VSG really saves lives 670 lbs to 260 lbs in 3 years I'M ALIVE again like a teenager.

BigCraig(formerly Big)

Congratultions! That is an amazing accomplishment. Great job to you and anyone else that took that huge step to being happier and healthier.

While I have not had surgery I have lost a bit of weight over the last year and a half. I am at the point of trying to maintain. I was having a 'difficult' day ready to blow it. Thanks for the thread!!!!!!!!! It has put me back into the right frame of mind.

So glad that it helped you! Congratulations on your weight loss!