New to NCL, a few questions

Moomduck1

Hi,

We have cruised a few times on HAL, but our first NCL cruise is coming up in April. We are very excited. I have a few questions that I am hoping someone can help me with. Thank you in advance! :) We will be on the Spirit going to the Caribbean. 9 of us, ages 26 to 74.

1. No formal nights, correct? This is new to us.

2. I saw a package online for photos. Example, 10 for 150, includes an additional picture, so really 11 for 150. Normally I hate buying these because they're so pricey. But it might be a nice way to get all 9 of us in a picture. Is this a good deal or should I wait til we board to get a better one?

3. Anyone know if they have ping pong tables on board?

4. Can we bring our own wine on board? If we drink it in our room will we be charged? We aren't big drinkers so none of the drink packages work for us.

5. Any tips for NCL newbies?

Hi,

We have cruised a few times on HAL, but our first NCL cruise is coming up in April. We are very excited. I have a few questions that I am hoping someone can help me with. Thank you in advance! :) We will be on the Spirit going to the Caribbean. 9 of us, ages 26 to 74.

1. No formal nights, correct? This is new to us.

2. I saw a package online for photos. Example, 10 for 150, includes an additional picture, so really 11 for 150. Normally I hate buying these because they're so pricey. But it might be a nice way to get all 9 of us in a picture. Is this a good deal or should I wait til we board to get a better one?

3. Anyone know if they have ping pong tables on board?

4. Can we bring our own wine on board? If we drink it in our room will we be charged? We aren't big drinkers so none of the drink packages work for us.

I have never sailed that ship but as a general rule of thumb for NCL.

There are no formal nights. Pants and collard shirt is good enough for the men, No suit or jacket required. They usually have a night or 2 of "dress up or not night" most people don't

Pictures on board usually run about $20 each

I have never been on a ship without ping pong, its like shuffleboard its somewhere you just have to find it. Usually on the pool or sports deck

Yes you can bring 2 bottles per stateroom onboard but they charge you a corkage fee no matter where you drink it. You pay the fee when you come thru security before you even get on ship.

NCL used to hail its self as freestyle but you really do need reservations for specialty dinning.

Hi,

1. No formal nights, correct? Correct This is new to us.

I don't buy the package but usually end up buying a few random pics that we like but if you're into it go for it... doubt there will be a better deal on the ship though.

3. Anyone know if they have ping pong tables on board? unknown

Correct answer already given, however, there is the Viva Vino package which we purchase on our cruises.

Quite a few recent and not so recent reviews, highly recommend reading them.

Hope you enjoy your first NCL cruise. My notes in red.

Thank you for the quick answers! The kids will be glad about the ping pong. I enjoy the formal nights on HAL, but I do like the idea of not having to deal with it on this cruise. I'll check out the Viva Vino package. I'm not sure I want to bother finding a local place in FL to buy wine and then pay the corkage fee. Might be easier to just buy on board after all. I'm in the process of reading different cruise reviews. Getting very excited!

How does the dining work? I'm not asking about the restaurants that charge extra. Is there a way to make reservations for the free dining? We are a party of 9. We won't eat every meal together, but I'm sure we'd like to have 2 or 3 together. Any suggestions on how to accomplish that?

How does the dining work? I'm not asking about the restaurants that charge extra. Is there a way to make reservations for the free dining? We are a party of 9. We won't eat every meal together, but I'm sure we'd like to have 2 or 3 together. Any suggestions on how to accomplish that?

Haven't cruised on the Spirit but have on other NCL ships and found that, even for larger groups, if we went to reservations desk in the Atrium we were able to make reservations for that same evening.

If you try to make reservations for that size group online at 90 days out you'll probably end up with only a couple of choices (very early or quite late) whereas doing it on the ship, you should end up being able to choose your preferred times.

Hope this helps, enjoy your cruise. :)