Mendenhall Glacier

Mailgirl

About 7 years ago when we were at Mendenhall Glacier, there was a path you could take out by the parking lot that would take you out to the waterfall. As you got closer to the waterfall the path wasn't really a path anymore. You could still make it to the waterfall but it was a little ruff. Anyway it looked like they were going to build some type of walkway to get to the falls. Does anyone know if the walkway was built?

You are referring to the now, very popular Nugget Falls trail, I'm assuming. You had a view of Mendenhall when walking toward it? I used to walk "toward" there, as well, long before the nice trial they now have in place. I went over logs, walked in water and and trudged on. :) A lot of people walked it that way.

The path to Nugget Falls has been in good shape. I hope they don’t improve it too much with a boardwalk or asphalt trail. Too many improvements start to deteriorate the natural beauty of the area.

Here’s a photo from 2013 that shows the path near the Nugget Falls end of the trail.

Mendenhall%252520Glacier%252520Nugget%252520Falls.jpg

You are referring to the now, very popular Nugget Falls trail, I'm assuming. You had a view of Mendenhall when walking toward it? I used to walk "toward" there, as well, long before the nice trial they now have in place. I went over logs, walked in water and and trudged on. :) A lot of people walked it that way.

I'm happy to see there is a better trail. The last time I had to leave my family at the mud puddles and rocky road. They will be very excited. I can't wait, is there a chance that the trail might be under water. I heard if they have a lot of rain the trail floods.

Is the trail such that you could push a handicap stroller along it?

Not easily, with an adult in a chair with small wheels, it is not paved. And the difficulty is even greater, the higher the weight.

Not sure if you are talking able kids? Where it would be a lot easier.

Photo Point trail is more accessible with the paving, but is an uphill push.

I'm happy to see there is a better trail. The last time I had to leave my family at the mud puddles and rocky road. They will be very excited. I can't wait, is there a chance that the trail might be under water. I heard if they have a lot of rain the trail floods.
I think it depends on the tides and how much Mendenhall is melting. I remember when I went in August 2013.... there was trail segments that was partially flooded. It was worth going all the way.

the trail is a long one. I saw a few wheelchairs, but don't think they went all the way before turning back.

Check out this link for vids to get an idea...

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mendenhall+nugget+trail

Edited by xlxo