Diamond Princess Beverage Package

We are on Diamond Princess sailing, Sydney to Singapore, departing Sydney 23 March, 19 nights. There is an All Inclusive Beverage package on the Cruise Personaliser quoted at $NZ70.48 pp per day (or $US59 pp per day). Does anyone know if tips get added on to this each time you order a drink (coffee, juice, and water, as well as alcohol)? I presume the all inclusive is referring to the types of drinks included. Thanks in anticipation.

Ok, firstly that is a repositioning cruise for Diamond so the onboard costs go back to being in USD. Unless it has changed recently the onboard cost for the drinks package will be US $56.35 per day which includes gratuities. At today's exchange rate that works out at NZ $85.30. So the Personalizer price of NZ $70.48 is worth taking if you want a drinks package.

Note - $59 has been the AUD price charged on all ships cruising out of AND back to Australia that operated in AUD, so doesn't apply to that cruise.

There will be no extra gratuities charged on top of your drinks package, once you've paid for the package that's it, unless you choose a drink that is outside the package limit. Alcohol, coffees, juices, water, even ice-cream and milkshakes (I think).

I would also expect the onboard prices to include gratuities but am not sure on that issue. Other USD cruise lines have priced their drinks inclusive of gratuities for the AUS/NZ market. Someone elese may be able to confirm this point.

I'm going on a similar cruise on Golden in April and did as much research as I good around the time I booked last year.

No extra tips. What you pay for the package is it.

When in Aus you pay a flat price, for ease lets call it $57.50 (it's not but it's easier to show the figures) and that's $50+ 15% tips.

On a repositioning cruise it will be in US$ + 15% so it will say $50 and then they'll add $7.50 on.

To complicate things further one will be in $aus one in $us.

Now I hope you can follow that. I'm not sure I can.

As its not a cruise that starts AND end in Aus NZ charges will b in US$ but your ersonaliser will convert those to NZ$.

Yep simple isn't it.

Thanks for that guys (or girls). I phoned Princess this afternoon and they told me that tips/gratuities were "additional" and payable in USD. Had the ship been sailing in and out of Ozzie, then no tips. But because it was not doing this, then tips would be charged.

I then had to wonder if the tip is added each day (15% on top of the $NZ70.48 or the USD equivalent charge), would it cover everything (coffee, juice, water, milk shakes, etc). Or, does it just get whacked on to alcohol?

The guy I spoke to was "a bit new to the job" and was checking with someone "higher up". I might try them again in a week or so, see if I can talk to someone else. It would be so much simpler if they just put "includes gratuities" or "excludes" etc.

I really hope you people have it 100 per cent correct and the Princess man messed up.

Cheers Sandra

No extra tips. What you pay for the package is it.

When in Aus you pay a flat price, for ease lets call it $57.50 (it's not but it's easier to show the figures) and that's $50+ 15% tips.

On a repositioning cruise it will be in US$ + 15% so it will say $50 and then they'll add $7.50 on.

To complicate things further one will be in $aus one in $us.

Now I hope you can follow that. I'm not sure I can.

As its not a cruise that starts AND end in Aus NZ charges will b in US$ but your ersonaliser will convert those to NZ$.

Yep simple isn't it.

Jeez:confused:

Thanks for that guys (or girls). I phoned Princess this afternoon and they told me that tips/gratuities were "additional" and payable in USD. Had the ship been sailing in and out of Ozzie, then no tips. But because it was not doing this, then tips would be charged.

I then had to wonder if the tip is added each day (15% on top of the $NZ70.48 or the USD equivalent charge), would it cover everything (coffee, juice, water, milk shakes, etc). Or, does it just get whacked on to alcohol?

The guy I spoke to was "a bit new to the job" and was checking with someone "higher up". I might try them again in a week or so, see if I can talk to someone else. It would be so much simpler if they just put "includes gratuities" or "excludes" etc.

I really hope you people have it 100 per cent correct and the Princess man messed up.

Cheers Sandra

It's 15% on the Eric day charge , so if it's $70.50 a day its an extra $10.58 per day.

Edited by GUT2407

Cheers Sandra

If they don't include gratuities in the price of drinks etc, then it will be added when you buy that item. So if a cocktail is US $10 then the price that is charged to your onboard account will be US $11.50 (assuming Princess is still 15%).

IF you have bought a drinks package you pay the gratuities when you buy the package and nothing extra is charged to your account when you order your drink UNLESS the drink you order is more expensive than the maximum allowed for the package.

Also you don't have to factor gratuities into the price of the drink when deciding whether it fits into the package. If the package allows drinks up to $10 and the drinks menu says $10 then that drink is covered by the package. EDIT - but when you are calculating whether the drinks package is worth it then you should add 15% to the listed US prices. You might find this useful http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2038576&highlight=drinks+package

If you don't have a drinks package then, yes, the gratuity is charged on coffees, water, juice, etc.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

It's 15% on the Eric day charge , so if it's $70.50 a day its an extra $10.58 per day.

No, Gut, you're wrong.

The NZ $70.50 per day includes gratuities.

I bought drinks packages through the personalizer for our upcoming Golden repo cruise and the amount stated in the personalizer was what I paid per day, no extra for gratuities.

This is what I see (Note - I booked in September last year before Princess changed their default exchange rate so I got a very good deal).

"All-Inclusive Beverage Package AU$61.99 per person, per day

Enjoy the convenience of our All-inclusive Package featuring any drink up to $10 including cocktails, wine, beer, bottled water, sodas, specialty coffees & more! A 40% discount on bottles of wine (below $100 retail) is also offered on bottles purchased in bars, dining rooms or specialty restaurants."

Our cruise is 21 days and I paid AU $1301.79 pp which is $61.99 x 21.

Orphaned,

Do check what rate Princess are offering for onboard credit (OBC), and compare it with the current exchange rate.

Princess are well-known for giving very good deals on OBC and you could save quite a bit of money by buying it before you cruise. Work out what you plan to spend onboard, then add a bit extra. Princess will refund any credit balance on your account at the end of the cruise, although it may take a while to come through.

The units for OBC are US $25 $50 and $100 and you should see the NZ dollar equivalent in your personalizer. From that you can calculate the exchange rate they used, or post it here and we'll do it for you. :)

I've prepaid all my expected onboard costs already plus extra just in case. Again, because of when I booked I got an amazing rate.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

orphaned.

OzKiwiJJ is correct.

Go to your personaliser and select the beverage package again.

The sentence at the very top says it includes gratuities.

For info:

The rate of exchange Princess is using for this cruise and the NZD / USD is $1.20.

Edited by Opua Kiwi

orphaned.

For info:

The rate of exchange Princess is using for this cruise and the NZD / USD is $1.20.

Like so: "Packages are not added to your booking until they are paid for. They will also be available to purchase onboard. Prices include gratuity."

Current NZD / USD rate is 1.52 so if you can get OBC at 1.20 that's a great deal.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

No, Gut, you're wrong.

The NZ $70.50 per day includes gratuities.

I bought drinks packages through the personalizer for our upcoming Golden repo cruise and the amount stated in the personalizer was what I paid per day, no extra for gratuities.

This is what I see (Note - I booked in September last year before Princess changed their default exchange rate so I got a very good deal).

"All-Inclusive Beverage Package AU$61.99 per person, per day

Enjoy the convenience of our All-inclusive Package featuring any drink up to $10 including cocktails, wine, beer, bottled water, sodas, specialty coffees & more! A 40% discount on bottles of wine (below $100 retail) is also offered on bottles purchased in bars, dining rooms or specialty restaurants."

Our cruise is 21 days and I paid AU $1301.79 pp which is $61.99 x 21.

That's Goid then. Normally whe the cruise has gone to US$ they don't include the grats but add them on, well that has been my experience, but I haven't done one on Princess for a while. Nowadays it's Sydney-Sydney only.

That's Goid then. Normally whe the cruise has gone to US$ they don't include the grats but add them on, well that has been my experience, but I haven't done one on Princess for a while. Nowadays it's Sydney-Sydney only.

They've probably learnt that they need to include some incentives on repo cruises leaving from Australia or less people would book them. I had to think hard when I realised our upcoming Golden cruise was USD onboard and grats weren't included in the fare. Luckily I got a great deal which made it affordable, and getting the brilliant exchange rate for the OPC and a reasonable drinks package price has made me very happy.

Not long to wait now! :D

orphaned.

OzKiwiJJ is correct.

For info:

So it does :D

Thank you all very much :):):)

Orphaned,

Do check what rate Princess are offering for onboard credit (OBC), and compare it with the current exchange rate.

Princess are well-known for giving very good deals on OBC and you could save quite a bit of money by buying it before you cruise. Work out what you plan to spend onboard, then add a bit extra. Princess will refund any credit balance on your account at the end of the cruise, although it may take a while to come through.

The units for OBC are US $25 $50 and $100 and you should see the NZ dollar equivalent in your personalizer. From that you can calculate the exchange rate they used, or post it here and we'll do it for you. :)

I've prepaid all my expected onboard costs already plus extra just in case. Again, because of when I booked I got an amazing rate.

We have done just that! The exchange rate offered by Princess seems a bit good to be true. We can take care of all our Visas!

• 5 months later...
Hi can you tell me if cocktails are under $10 please

That depends on what the onboard currency of your cruise is.

If it's USD the majority of the cocktails are no more than $10 including the gratuity, and the cocktails are covered in the USD drinks package.

If it's AUD the majority of the cocktails are no more that $14 including the gratuity, and the cocktails are covered in the AUD drinks package.

So how the hell does(OCT 29days China-Aus-repositioning cruise,no grats,all $aus)fit in.:):)

They changed the rules. ;)

The March/April repo cruises were in USD, extra grats.

Then they announced that repos going to/from Australia would be in AUD, no extra grats.

So how the hell does(OCT 29days China-Aus-repositioning cruise,no grats,all $aus)fit in.:):)

Because from Sept repo cruises to and from Aus are now in Aussie $$$$ at least for Aussies who book in Aus, it's changed since all the above was posted.