Walking?

Hi! Does anyone know how far it is from the hydrofoil dock to the gate to Peterhof at St Petersburg? We will be taking the Regal Princess Cruise May 12. My husband does not walk fast. Any information is greatly appreciated!:)

Thank you so much! My husband is not too interested in seeing everything. As long as we can get him to a place to see something, he'll be satisfied.

We are seriously planning on taking the 2-day excursion with Alla Tours. I heard it is one of the best rated tours so far.

Thank you so much! My husband is not too interested in seeing everything. As long as we can get him to a place to see something, he'll be satisfied.

We are seriously planning on taking the 2-day excursion with Alla Tours. I heard it is one of the best rated tours so far.

Here is a link to some of my St. P pictures. Peterhoff starts on the second page (I think the 7th picture).

https://msknortherneurope.shutterfly.com/pictures/453

Hi! Does anyone know how far it is from the hydrofoil dock to the gate to Peterhof at St Petersburg? We will be taking the Regal Princess Cruise May 12. My husband does not walk fast. Any information is greatly appreciated!:)

From the dock to the Samson Fountain is approximately 330 yards (Google maps). I have also toured with Alla & our Grand Tour was excellent & Peterhof is gorgeous!! Peterhof Website: http://eng.peterhofmuseum.ru/?lang=eng#

Edited by dogs4fun

One thing I forgot is that the hydrofoil is probably one way and you would pick up your bus on the other side of the site so it might not be an option just to hang around near the dock. The guide might have a way for one to slowly get to the bus without walking the entire site.

One thing I forgot is that the hydrofoil is probably one way and you would pick up your bus on the other side of the site so it might not be an option just to hang around near the dock. The guide might have a way for one to slowly get to the bus without walking the entire site.

OP, I've posted this as a reply to mskaufman since she was kind enough to raise this issue, but the following information is for your benefit.

When we visited Peterhof as part of a group from a river boat trip, we took the bus to Peterhof and were dropped off closest to the entrance to the palace itself. We toured the palace and strolled through the gardens towards the hydrofoil dock for the return trip to the city. I don't know if there is a golf cart option that can be arranged on the grounds of Peterhof. Your husband would probably adore touring the grounds and seeing all the fountains while other members of your group are in the palace itself.

Also, there are a couple of tour companies who offer tours designed for folks with limited stamina and/or mobility problems. In your case, I suggest you check out the web sites to read the description of the professionals' preferred routes and stops for folks with touring issues.

I doubt Peterhof is the only destination you'll be visiting that might present a challenge to your husband. A professional with experience might save you some grief that you hadn't anticipated.

Also, there are a couple of tour companies who offer tours designed for folks with limited stamina and/or mobility problems. In your case, I suggest you check out the web sites to read the description of the professionals' preferred routes and stops for folks with touring issues.

I doubt Peterhof is the only destination you'll be visiting that might present a challenge to your husband. A professional with experience might save you some grief that you hadn't anticipated.

To the OP: Pet Nit Noy raises a good point - if you have mobility issues or limited stamina, there are tours specifically designed for you. Since you state that you have already booked with Alla Tours, the tour for limited mobility/stamina is called the Comfort Tour. I would check with Alla to see if that tour would better suit your needs.

Thank you so much for the considerate suggestions. We are a group of 9 people. All are in relatively good health and most can walk long distance without problems, and would love to see as much as possible. My husband works out three days a week and the only issue we are concerned is that he doesn't walk as fast as before. We have agreed that he will either skip some places (he doesn't enjoy museums) or we try to get him inside some place where he can sit and wait for us. Peterhof is the only place he might enjoy but even that he doesn't plan to walk the whole way around. I hope this arrangement can be worked out.

We have booked the Grand Tour by Alla. I've been corresponding with Valeria, who has been helping us patiently.

Again, thanks! We look forward to meeting everybody in May.

I wanted to respond with this in case you are also visiting Tallinn, since this beautiful city may not be the most accessible for people with disabilities.

Tallinn was one of our favorite stops, and we really loved exploring its spectacularly preserved medieval center. Please note that this lovely city may be challenging for travelers with disabilities or families that use prams, since cars are not allowed in parts of the medieval center, and the cobblestones will make a stroller or wheelchair use difficult. Because my son has limited mobility without a stroller, our plan had been to take a pedicab around the city. There were some pedicabs at the port when we returned to the ship in the afternoon; however, the pedicabs were not yet available at 9 am when we left the ship (we visited Tallinn on their independence day holiday so this may not always be the case). Instead, we took a cab to the top of Toompea Hill (this is where the lovely Alexander Nevsky Cathedral is located) and then walked down. Our son was able to climb the city walls (although the passage is very narrow and steep), and there were gorgeous views. In the main square, we found a pedicab, and we were able to take a very enjoyable 15 minute pedicab tour through the charming city. They area also available for hire for longer tours to all the major tourist stops. Since our son loves trains, we also rode on a tourist train that departs from Kullassepa street whenever it is full and makes a 20 minute loop around the city. We were fortunate to sit in the very back, since we had a great spot to take photographs from the back of the train.

We did the 2 day Comfort Tour with Alla in SPB. There was a lot of walking at St Peterhof, but I had taken a manual wheelchair. We arrived by hydrofoil and departed by mini bus, so we didn't track back on ourselves, so anybody doing the trip would need to walk the whole route.

In Tallin we also took a taxi to the top of the hill and walked down and we did the mini train too. Tallin was our least favourite port of call. I think it was because it has a lot of hype, but we found it overcrowded and too touristy.

We did the 2 day Comfort Tour with Alla in SPB. There was a lot of walking at St Peterhof, but I had taken a manual wheelchair. We arrived by hydrofoil and departed by mini bus, so we didn't track back on ourselves, so anybody doing the trip would need to walk the whole route.

In Tallin we also took a taxi to the top of the hill and walked down and we did the mini train too. Tallin was our least favourite port of call. I think it was because it has a lot of hype, but we found it overcrowded and too touristy.

The Comfort Tour no longer arrives by hydrofoil - it arrives and departs by bus so that there is not quite so much walking involved (i.e. from the dock to the Grand Cascade).

Edited by dogs4fun

Here is a pix from the main building of Peterhoff, where all the fountains are. Off, in the distance, is the Sea of Finland where you will catch the hovercraft. It does seem far, but it is not. On the right you can see the path where people walk.

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe721.jpg

Peterhoff is huge and to walk the entire grounds, for some one who has any mobility issues, won't work.

Here is a pix in the gardens. In the distance is where the main fountains are and where most of the people congregate

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe742.jpg

Looking up at the main building and the fountains

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe730.jpg

The hydrofoils at the dock

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster756.jpg

And looking back at Peterhoff while we were walking towards the hydrofoil

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster752.jpg

Cheers

Len

we visited Peterhof a few years ago just before my husbands hip replacement so he was very limited with walking

The area from hydrofoil to Palace entrance is flat but as previously mentioned 300m can be a long way if you cant walk very well

Many of the paths through the fountain park are gravel so a wheelchair may not be much help

It is possible with plenty of rests and if your tour company knows your limitations they should be able to work out a route to see the highlights in shortest route