VOLENDAM --- We seem to be getting really lucky!!

sail7seas

If my research on cruisecal.com is correct, I think there will only be three ships at St. Thomas the day we are there and that means dock space at Havensight.

Also.......it seems VODM will be the only ship at Half Moon Cay for the day we are there.

I sure hope this really is accurate info as that would be terrific.

Aarrrggghhhhh! Cruisecal.com shows 5 ships at the same time in several ports during our Alaska cruise next July. We better sign up for any excursions we want now, before the rush hits....

Ali

There will be only 3 in St. Maarten also! Last time we were there seven large cruise ships were in. Ugh, wall to wall people and traffic gridlock.

Two weeks to go!!

We'll be there on Sunday. I'm hoping that most of the stores will be open. I have a very strong suspicion they will be. :)

Two weeks and we are getting very eager.

'the2ofus'.....if you wish to try and meet on the ship, my addy is:

sail7seas7@yahoo.com

Sail,

I'm so happy for you that things are working out so pleasantly on your upcoming cruise. Perhaps it is the "magic" of my favorite ship at work.:D Enjoy the Volendam.

Thank you, Sage and KK........ (9 ships in St. Maarten at the same time is about 6 too many. IAt really does detract from enjoying it fully. IMO

Sage....I promise to treat your favorite ship kindly. She is a beautiful ship that we're looking forward to sailing again. It's been several years since we were on Volendam. I know we'll have a great cruise.

I love cruisecal - Brian is the person's name I think that got that site started.

I have a vague memory that within maybe the last two or three months, he had read on this board how many of us love his site and he wrote a message thanking us for saying nice things about it. Maybe he reads here from time to time?

I hate to rain on your parade, but we were in St. Maarten on Sunday this past January and only the Dutch side had stores open. We went to Marigot for lunch and while the restaurants were open, the stores were not. No matter, there was still plenty of fun to be had.

The last two times that we were in St. Thomas on Sunday, the shops downtown closed at 1:00 pm. However, Havensight Mall remains open.

Please remember that the ship must clear U.S. Immigration inspection, and therefore disembarkation might be delayed.

We were lucky on the Volendam, as we were the first ship in port (Havensight), and cleared customs quickly. Other ships had to wait, and some passengers were upset that they could not make the shops downtown before closing.

Alan

The last two times that we were in St. Thomas on Sunday, the shops downtown closed at 1:00 pm. However, Havensight Mall remains open.

Please remember that the ship must clear U.S. Immigration inspection, and therefore disembarkation might be delayed.

We were lucky on the Volendam, as we were the first ship in port (Havensight), and cleared customs quickly. Other ships had to wait, and some passengers were upset that they could not make the shops downtown before closing.

Alan

We won't be in St. Thomas on a Sunday.......I was speaking of St. Maarten.

We have been in St. Thomas in the past on a Sunday and you are correct about the downtown shops closing between 12 noon and 1:00 P.M. but Havensite remaining open.

I hate to rain on your parade, but we were in St. Maarten on Sunday this past January and only the Dutch side had stores open. We went to Marigot for lunch and while the restaurants were open, the stores were not. No matter, there was still plenty of fun to be had.

Not raining on my parade. ;)

Dutch side shopping is what we have in mind. We've been to the French side several times and are content to stay on the Dutch this time.

I'm happy to hear their shops will be open. Thanks for the good news, Sage.

Joyce, the person we are using for a tour in St. Maarten told me the shops in Phillipsburg, St. Maarten will probably open around 10 a.m. and close around 3 p.m. if ships are in port on Sunday. she said the shops in Marigot will be closed.

Oh! I can't believe that there will be two ships at Half Moon Cay on Nov. 4th! Well, hopefully we'll get there first. Now we'll see how well the island is set up for two ships.

Archived