Formal Night

You will NOT look like fools! Wear what you want. The last time I really dressed formal, I felt like a million bucks! And received many compliments. Believe me, I would still do it, but, my vanity can't get over, that I am now a skinny, wrinkled up, old bag, and don't want a picture to remind myself of that fact!:eek:

Lol, thank you cruzelover55. I will take that into consideration. Maybe we won't wear tuxedos and ballgowns, but we will definitely not stoop down to shorts and tank tops. Since this is our first cruise, I was hoping that people take the idea of a formal dinner on a cruise ship more seriously.:confused::)

Edited by BrushedNickel

cmptrwiz That's it! I have heard conflicting stories. Husband made the dress. Couple asked to leave MDR. Couple NOT asked to leave MDR. The last time I saw the pic it was full length, so maybe that's why I didn't notice how uh...Ripe, she is, to be kind. That took some guts to wear! To each, his own... I might have worn it myself 40 years ago. Or even 30.:D

Lately I've seen a lot of "all white" formal nights where everyone wears white (especially popular with larger groups). Some of the Miami cruises and especially San Juan cruises there are a lot of teenagers in sparkly "Quincinera" dresses which are very formal. But you can wear what you like... If you son is looking forward to wearing his tux, go for it, he will not look out of place in the MDR! In the immortal words of ZZTop, "Everybody loves a sharp dressed man"!

Lol, thank you cruzelover55. I will take that into consideration. Maybe we won't wear tuxedos and ballgowns, but we will definitely not stoop down to shorts and tank tops. Since this is our first cruise, I was hoping that people take the idea of a formal dinner on a cruise ship more seriously.:confused::)

It's so informal now they don't even call it formal night anymore.

Bill

I bet you will not see a single tank top or shorts on elegant night.

I never have despite going looking for them.

I looked every body in that room over and I have never seen it.

Here is what I saw a couple of months ago.

One tux.

A handful of suits, some men with dress shirts, some with ties, some without.

Every body was dressed at least ok. Some pretty darn fancy, but that was mostly women.

And not one single ball cap.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

That's an interesting observation. I watched the Oscars and a large majority wore tuxes. With "clown-like bow-tie" (that's a funny description) which I guess means that the Oscars are a more casual event than other award shows. I guess weddings are also a casual event since grooms predominately wear tuxes, along with the rest of the male part of the bridal party.

Where do you get your facts to back up your statements?

I didn't mean to say that tuxes are casual in the sense that t-shirts & shorts are casual. I meant that tuxes are considered more casual within the realm of dressing up fancy. Suits are considered to be more formal, since that's what must be worn in the high powered business world. Fancy dinners, weddings, proms, & awards shows are not considered to be as formal as the business world. Oddly enough, the following website thinks that suits & not tuxes should be worn at weddings, although I disagree: http://www.diffen.com/difference/Suit_vs_Tuxedo.

Suits tend to be more conservative & less fancy. They tend to not draw as much attention as tuxes, as would be appropriate for conservative, ultra-formal occasions. Although there are options for suits that aren't as plain. And in regards to the tie choice, the bow-tie does draw more attention than the long tie, which is why it's often used for tuxes. However, many tuxes these days are being worn with long ties, which causes the observer to think it's not a tux, when it actually is. The differences between the 2 are a lot more subtle than most people think.

One confusion as to whether tux events or the high powered business world (suit-required) are more formal is the fact that tux events are usually happy & fun occasions, while the business world is more of a chore & not a fun event. I do realize that many parts of the business world have gone away from suits these days, but not the more high-powered side of it.

Edited by k2excursion

cmptrwiz That's it! I have heard conflicting stories. Husband made the dress. Couple asked to leave MDR. Couple NOT asked to leave MDR. The last time I saw the pic it was full length, so maybe that's why I didn't notice how uh...Ripe, she is, to be kind. That took some guts to wear! To each, his own... I might have worn it myself 40 years ago. Or even 30.:D

Classic picture that comes back periodically. Heard a rumor the couple has split up.

I didn't mean to say that tuxes are casual in the sense that t-shirts & shorts are casual. I meant that tuxes are considered more casual within the realm of dressing up fancy. Suits are considered to be more formal, since that's what must be worn in the high powered business world. Fancy dinners, weddings, proms, & awards shows are not considered to be as formal as the business world. Oddly enough, the following website thinks that suits & not tuxes should be worn at weddings, although I disagree: http://www.diffen.com/difference/Suit_vs_Tuxedo.

Suits tend to be more conservative & less fancy. They tend to not draw as much attention as tuxes, as would be appropriate for conservative, ultra-formal occasions. Although there are options for suits that aren't as plain. And in regards to the tie choice, the bow-tie does draw more attention than the long tie, which is why it's often used for tuxes. However, many tuxes these days are being worn with long ties, which causes the observer to think it's not a tux, when it actually is. The differences between the 2 are a lot more subtle than most people think.

One confusion as to whether tux events or the high powered business world (suit-required) are more formal is the fact that tux events are usually happy & fun occasions, while the business world is more of a chore & not a fun event. I do realize that many parts of the business world have gone away from suits these days, but not the more high-powered side of it.

That's an interesting article and I appreciate you sharing the link. I think the difference is the article's use of the term "formal" as opposed to "serious". Like you said, tux events are usually for "happy & fun occasions" but I think of business meetings and funerals as somber, serious events and the term formal I equate with "elegance".

Tomato, to-mato, as they say. I love a man in a sharp looking suit as well.

[emoji6]

Reading this is disappointing as we LOVE to dress up for dinner.

I always pack a few nice dresses (No ball gowns though) and Hubbie takes his Tux. He does look smart in it.

I think the amount of people who dress up depends on who is on board and where the ship sails to.

Go on a ship with lots of Brits and you will see a LOT of Tux's on board. Same goes for sailings around the Med.

Us Brits seem to like Dressing up more than our USA cousins...

On our first Caribbean cruise we found so funny on Formal night. Everyone dressed for dinner but then we'd see a lot of them had changed in to more everyday wear straight after. Thought - what's the point in that!!!!

Heads up

I will be taking a nice collection of dresses and H's Tux on the Vista when we sail in October. If we are in a minority then so be it. I don't care.

Here's the link to the rental company that services Carnival for suits and tuxes:

http://www.cruiselineformal.com/cf_pages/packages-ccl.php?c=car

Scroll down to the tux packages. $87 for the basic black tux package, which is what we usually get. The tux will be on board at embarkation and you can pick it up typically at Cherry on Top and then return it there at the end of the cruise. This rate is for the week of the cruise.

Happy cruising!

Edited by momonthego17

That's an interesting article and I appreciate you sharing the link. I think the difference is the article's use of the term "formal" as opposed to "serious". Like you said, tux events are usually for "happy & fun occasions" but I think of business meetings and funerals as somber, serious events and the term formal I equate with "elegance".

Tomato, to-mato, as they say. I love a man in a sharp looking suit as well.

[emoji6]

I was always taught that a suit is semi-formal and tuxes are formal. Attend a black tie event in a suit and you'll be out of place:). (As for weddings a lot depends on how formal the event is. My nephew in law married my niece wearing cargo shorts and a t-shirt so I doubt that many people wore suits or tuxes to that wedding;).)

Reading this is disappointing as we LOVE to dress up for dinner.

I always pack a few nice dresses (No ball gowns though) and Hubbie takes his Tux. He does look smart in it.

I think the amount of people who dress up depends on who is on board and where the ship sails to.

Go on a ship with lots of Brits and you will see a LOT of Tux's on board. Same goes for sailings around the Med.

Us Brits seem to like Dressing up more than our USA cousins...

On our first Caribbean cruise we found so funny on Formal night. Everyone dressed for dinner but then we'd see a lot of them had changed in to more everyday wear straight after. Thought - what's the point in that!!!!

Heads up

I will be taking a nice collection of dresses and H's Tux on the Vista when we sail in October. If we are in a minority then so be it. I don't care.

Same here, I am in cocktail dresses every single night of our cruises, sequins, beading and all. Regardless of what everyone else is wearing. Plus I like taking the pics when I'm dressed up!

Traveled the world over several times actually and some things are still just so foreign to me. The thought of dressing for dinner?

I'd much rather have dinner in my speedo. Comfort trumps bling and social substance.

Sorry, just my opinion, but I don't think ANYONE, even a fit young guy looks good in a speedo. Eye pollution!!!:)

This is really so disappointing! My oldest wanted an excuse to break out his tux and my dh was planning on packing a suit and tie, while my youngest is a bow-tie fan. We are all going to look like a bunch of out-of-place fools on formal night...maybe we need to rethink our formal night wardrobe. What a letdown!

I will be the 2nd to say on some of the ships you won't see tanks or shorts. Last May we sailed on the Freedom and witnessed a guy in a polo type shirt and dresser shorts be asked to leave because of the shorts. The May prior we sailed on Fascination and there were teenage girls who literally wore swimsuit coverups a couple times over bathing suits on regular dining evenings which is supposed to be a no go. In their party that included some adults they wore t shirts and shorts on formal night. I'm getting ready to leave Sunday on the Dream and I don't know which to expect. We typically as others just do nice slacks and shirts, except for my 19 yr old daughter who always brings a formal gown. :) You should wear whatever you feel comfortable in that is within the dress code and I'm certain you won't be alone.

Basically there is NO SUCH THING. My husband has been wearing nice dress pants and a long sleeved button down shirt. Last week on the Glory there were men in shorts and tank tops on "elegant night". There were lots of jeans and golf shirts too. Women were also dressed about the same. Some in short shorts and tanks and other in dresses.

I give up trying to follow the rules.

I have to call B.S. on this post. we have seen people asked to leave in shorts and a t-shirt 2 tables away from us. The 2 men came back with the same shorts and golf shirts.

I just got off the Conquest a week or so ago and was astonished that a person next to us had a Harley T shirt and shorts on in the MDR on formal night. While I feel a tux isn't necessary, a dress shirt and tie isn't asking too much. No, it did not wreck my dinner or rest of my cruise, its just my opinion ;)

Edited by firefighter4u

This is really so disappointing! My oldest wanted an excuse to break out his tux and my dh was planning on packing a suit and tie, while my youngest is a bow-tie fan. We are all going to look like a bunch of out-of-place fools on formal night...maybe we need to rethink our formal night wardrobe. What a letdown!

In all fairness we did see one couple in formal wear. Couple was celebrating their 50th anniversary and he had a tux and she had a long dress.

I would tell you to bring what you want to wear. there are definitely suits and ties. You won't look like fools. You'll look like what I think (in my opinion) the definition of Carnivals elegant night should be. People can call it what they want but jeans and tank tops are not elegant in anybody's book. Neither are khakis and Tommy Bahama shirts. Does it ruin my dinner, or cruise for that matter? NO. I am just disappointed that Carnival won't enforce their own rules. or at least come close to it.

So bring that suit or tux and bowties and your pictures will be memorable.

People can call it what they want but jeans and tank tops are not elegant in anybody's book. Neither are khakis and Tommy Bahama shirts. Does it ruin my dinner, or cruise for that matter? NO. I am just disappointed that Carnival won't enforce their own rules. or at least come close to it.

So bring that suit or tux and bowties and your pictures will be memorable.

Ah the nail has been hit on the head....elegant nights is a contrived dinner made to sell overpriced photographs.

Besides, (and to upgrade my memory.... Cruise Elegant Dress Code

Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo

Women: Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown)

who is to say what some may consider "dress slacks and shirts" is defined the same by all people. If you live in, say the Southwest or southern Florida, you see cotton slacks and silky shirts consistently worn at the finest restaurants because they work well in the casual atmosphere those areas are known for. What guy is going to wear wool slacks or a soon to be wrinkled and totally confining button down shirt when the temperature is in the 100s...and a suit coat, forget about it.

Same with women...elegant doesn't translate to the same thing in areas of the country where life styles are more easy, breezy. Fun, cotton sundresses or brightly colored cotton slacks with a top are as "dressy" as many get.

Why should we have to "buy" clothes we will never ever wear again to make someone else happy while on a cruise? The more casual a cruise line gets the happier I am.

Oh, and those photos....Since I'd rather remember people as "who they really are" I don't think I've ever glommed onto photos of said people playing "dress-up".

Edited by Sweet Dutch Girl

I have to call B.S. on this post. we have seen people asked to leave in shorts and a t-shirt 2 tables away from us. The 2 men came back with the same shorts and golf shirts.

It does happen, but the majority of the time the MD will not say a word.

I do not understand why seeing someone not dressed up on elegant night will spoil anything for anyone.

For better or worse we live in a dress down world these days

Why should we have to "buy" clothes we will never ever wear again to make someone else happy while on a cruise? The more casual a cruise line gets the happier I am.

QUOTE]

Please don't include everyone by using "we" when you are stating your opinion. You are just one person and should state 'why should I have to "buy" clothes...'

Politicians use this technique all the time and I'm getting tired of it.

Edited by momonthego17