Specialty dining question I'll bet you've never seen before

alexmom

Since specialty dining is a la carte now, is it possible to go 1/2 hour before close and just have creme brûlée and coffee ? Even better, do you think I could just walk up to the hostess station and order the lemon ricotta cheesecake to go ?

I really want the raspberry creme brûlée at Cagny's, but don't care to eat dinner there. The menu at La Cucina leaves me cold, so there's not an icicles chance I'm going to eat there-but I love ricotta cheesecake (like my mom used to make.)

To make matters worse, I'm traveling solo. I really don't want to inconvenience my fellow cruisers by taking up an entire table just because I want dessert and coffee.

I've never cruised NCL before so I have no experience regarding how they deal with the unusual. Best guesses as to how this scenario will play out??

Thanks for your input

Kristine

Since specialty dining is a la carte now, is it possible to go 1/2 hour before close and just have creme brûlée and coffee ? Even better, do you think I could just walk up to the hostess station and order the lemon ricotta cheesecake to go ?

I really want the raspberry creme brûlée at Cagny's, but don't care to eat dinner there. The menu at La Cucina leaves me cold, so there's not an icicles chance I'm going to eat there-but I love ricotta cheesecake (like my mom used to make.)

To make matters worse, I'm traveling solo. I really don't want to inconvenience my fellow cruisers by taking up an entire table just because I want dessert and coffee.

I've never cruised NCL before so I have no experience regarding how they deal with the unusual. Best guesses as to how this scenario will play out??

Thanks for your input

Kristine

I don't see why not! An entire table? NCL has lots and lots of 2 tops.

My last cruise on the Epic in the MDR I said nothing I wanted for dessert wish could get the creme brulee. The waitress said nothing and like 5 min later brought me a creme brulee for no charge. I did tip her $5 for doing it.

If you intend to eat in the MDR ask for the specialty desserts you would like to try, you may well be surprised. I have seen them go for them when cruising. Just like going for a drink you want; we often get cider. You may be charged the a la carte price plus 18%!!

Mike

I saw somebody do it at La Cucina on the Sun--no problem. I guess I would stay away from peak dining times just out of courtesy to the staff and to diners who may be waiting for their food.

Edited by crayola1932
fix grammar

We were too full following dinner at La Cucina on the Escape so the waiter packed our ricotta cheesecake (not like mine - slightly disappointing) and tiramisu (excellent!). He packed napkins and utensils too. Excellent service

We had asked our room steward to empty the refrigerator (he put the beverages on the floor under the desk) so we had coffee and dessert quite a few hours after dinner

We were too full following dinner at La Cucina on the Escape so the waiter packed our ricotta cheesecake (not like mine - slightly disappointing) and tiramisu (excellent!). He packed napkins and utensils too. Excellent service

We had asked our room steward to empty the refrigerator (he put the beverages on the floor under the desk) so we had coffee and dessert quite a few hours after dinner

You HAD to mention how excellent the tiramisu was. I order it we we eat out and I find it on the menu. Now I'll be walking out with 2 desserts ! Or maybe eat the cheesecake as an entree and do the tiramisu for dessert, LOL.

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it a lot. I do need to ask what you found lacking in the cheesecake. I've never had a commercial one, just homemade.

Kristine

I saw somebody do it at La Cucina on the Sun--no problem. I guess I would stay away from peak dining times just out of courtesy to the staff and to diners who may be waiting for their food.

I'm glad I'm not the first one to try this but I honestly don't have a clue as to what constitutes peak hours. I thought maybe close to closing would be ok because no one is going to sit down for a full dinner at 9:30 pm. They close at 10pm. Dessert is about all you have time for in that 1/2 hour. I was thinking that I wouldn't really even need to make a reservation for a late night dessert. What do you suggest ?

Thanks so much,

Kristine

OP: I don't see why you can't or shouldn't do this. A la carte is just that -- order whatever you want.

On the Gem last month, we just had salad and dessert one night at Moderno.

I'm a grazer but I don't like feeling too full. I often order from the appetizer section of the restaurant menu when we eat out. On Princess I often had them bring me appetizer sized servings of certain entrees because I didn't want to fill up before dessert, which I only indulge in on cruises.

I was tempted by Moderno because I'm really a carnivore. My husband says those Brazilian places will give you very small servings if you ask. I've never been to one but he has, mostly on business trips.

Have you ever eaten at Moderno and had the meats ?

Kristine

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it a lot. I do need to ask what you found lacking in the cheesecake. I've never had a commercial one, just homemade.

Kristine

That may be my issue too -- it's always been homemade from my aunts ancient Polly-o Cookbook -- 12 egg whites and 3 lbs of ricotta! It was a bit too lemony with a thicker crust but honestly we split the desserts and the tiramisu was just so creamy that the cheesecake paled in comparison. I enjoyed all the food on the trip so IMHO you really can't go wrong with any choices.

Enjoy!

If you intend to eat in the MDR ask for the specialty desserts you would like to try, you may well be surprised. I have seen them go for them when cruising. Just like going for a drink you want; we often get cider. You may be charged the a la carte price plus 18%!!

Mike

I do plan on eating 2-3 times in the dining room so maybe I'll try that. I don't mind the charge, I expect to pay for it (and a tip for whoever has to fetch it !)

Do they have espresso in the dining room or do they need to go somewhere to get that too ? You would think they would have one in the kitchen.

I guess I wasn't aware they had to run and get your drinks somewhere else if you order B&B or port after dinner. I will make sure to tip them !

Kristine

Have you ever eaten at Moderno and had the meats ?

Kristine

Kristine - I just had Moderno on the Star in September. Guys come around with meat on a long skewer and cut it off the skewer for you. They generally give you a small bit to start but you can ask for more.

Carrie

My last cruise on the Epic in the MDR I said nothing I wanted for dessert wish could get the creme brulee. The waitress said nothing and like 5 min later brought me a creme brulee for no charge. I did tip her $5 for doing it.

They serve creme brûlée just one day in the MDR menus I looked at. I'm also pretty sure I saw pistachio brûlée (be still my heart!) on a lunch menu. You KNOW they have these silken delights made up and in the fridge !

You'd think with my obsession over creme brûlée that I would buy the stuff to make it myself. And you'd be right. No one in my house will touch brûlée. So I don't make it anymore. I use my brûlée torch to anneal wire and patina copper jewelry and feed my cat out of the brûlée ramekins.

Thank God for cruise ships or I would be brûlée-less for life, LOL.

Kristine

That may be my issue too -- it's always been homemade from my aunts ancient Polly-o Cookbook -- 12 egg whites and 3 lbs of ricotta! It was a bit too lemony with a thicker crust but honestly we split the desserts and the tiramisu was just so creamy that the cheesecake paled in comparison. I enjoyed all the food on the trip so IMHO you really can't go wrong with any choices.

Enjoy!

I swear my mom used the same recipe ! She was from Brooklyn so when they moved to Wisconsin she used another brand. I use Frigo here in Minnesota.

I will definitely be having both those desserts !

Thanks !

i'm hoping the answer to your question is yes because i'm totally doing this!

We have the go ahead from people who are in the know !

Let's do this thing !!

Enjoy every bit, and bite, of your cruise !

That is very good to hear but I still want to know what peak hours are so I can avoid them.

My point was that they aren't real busy and it would seem that the a la carte pricing model is keeping diners without comps or a package away.

Kristine - I just had Moderno on the Star in September. Guys come around with meat on a long skewer and cut it off the skewer for you. They generally give you a small bit to start but you can ask for more.

Carrie

I think I might try this venue. I'm intensely curious about the spices and flavors of Brazilian food. It sounds exotic.

Absolutely no reason why you can't go any time that you want to. Your money and cruise experience is just as important as a solo traveler as a family or a couple would be.

Have fun.

I just feel that as a solo traveller, who is pretty flexible, I should be mindful of others. It doesn't make me feel slighted or unimportant. I can promise you that I will in no way sabotage my own birthday present !

Thanks for your kindness. I'm blessed.

I swear my mom used the same recipe ! She was from Brooklyn so when they moved to Wisconsin she used another brand. I use Frigo here in Minnesota.

I will definitely be having both those desserts !

Thanks !

My aunt and parents grew up in Brooklyn - yes probably the same recipe

I think I might try this venue. I'm intensely curious about the spices and flavors of Brazilian food. It sounds exotic.

I love Brazilian steakhouses, but I would hardly call the spices and flavors exotic. Lots of garlic and olive oil stand out. The salad bar can be very interesting, it does depend on the restaurant.

I'm not sure what meats Moderno serves, but the Parmesan chicken and pork loin are definitely a waste in my opinion. The Picanha is definitely one of the best, as well as anything garlic or lamb. And if it is garlic and lamb, heaven.

I don't think I would do one on a cruise ship, but if you have never done a Brazilian steakhouse, it is worth a visit.