London to Southamton

USNIM

Is there anyone that has recently used the Cunard transportation option from London down to Southampton? Does it drop you off right at the cruise ship? I am not at all interested in using the rail system to get to Southampton from London and thought this may be a good option. A little background here, wife and I will be staying in Central London (Conrad St. James) for a few days prior to the cruise. I Also, do not want to have her to have to lug any luggage around. Taking a cab to the meeting point in London for the pick up is all about I want to have her have to do with luggage. It's our 25th wedding anniversary and I would like to make this as easy as possible for her. Any better options on how to get to Southampton? Thank you for any help!

Welcome to Cruise Critic and the Cunard board. I have moved your post into a new thread, hopefully you will get better answers rather than people trying to answer a question from 2011 !

There have been more recent discussions so hopefully someone will be along soon.

Cunard transfers take you to the cruise terminal. Once you have handed over your labelled baggage to the bus driver at the start of the journey the next time you have to deal with it is when it reaches your cabin. In my experience, albeit using the transfer from Heathrow, it is all very satisfactory.

M-AR

Is there anyone that has recently used the Cunard transportation option from London down to Southampton? Does it drop you off right at the cruise ship? I am not at all interested in using the rail system to get to Southampton from London and thought this may be a good option. A little background here, wife and I will be staying in Central London (Conrad St. James) for a few days prior to the cruise. I Also, do not want to have her to have to lug any luggage around. Taking a cab to the meeting point in London for the pick up is all about I want to have her have to do with luggage. It's our 25th wedding anniversary and I would like to make this as easy as possible for her. Any better options on how to get to Southampton? Thank you for any help!

AS you say you are in London prior to your cruise, you will have to take the Cunard Transfer from Victoria Coach Station, 164 Buckingham Palace Road, SW1 9TP. Obviously you would have pre book this through Cunard or your TA.

Cunard will take you to the Cruise Terminal.

Cunard state

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/before-you-sail/Victoria_station

The Alternative would be Taxi to Waterloo Railway Station for fast South West Train to Southampton Central, journey time around !hr 14mins then a Taxi to the Cruise Terminal.

or Taxi to Victoria Railway Station with a much longer South Central Train (But lot cheaper) to Southampton Central, then Taxi to Cruise Terminal.

A normal Coach from Victoria Coach Station would only take you to Southampton Coach Station where you would need a Taxi to the Cruise Terminal.

Taxis are plentiful when trains or coaches are arriving from the Railway or Coach Station.

Another alternative would be a Taxi/Private hire car from Hotel Direct to Southampton Cruise Terminal.

You could try smiths for Airports on their email address. They are in Portsmouth. Hants near Southampton.

http://www.smithsforairports.com/index.html

Edited by Pennbank

Taking a cab to the meeting point in London for the pick up is all about I want to have her have to do with luggage. It's our 25th wedding anniversary and I would like to make this as easy as possible for her. Any better options on how to get to Southampton? Thank you for any help!

There are no porters or luggage carts at Victoria Coach Station; you and your wife will have to carry all your luggage from the taxi drop off point to the assigned gate for the Cunard coach. For the same amount of effort the fast train from London Waterloo is much preferable, even considering the second very short taxi ride from Southampton Central to the pier. Though it does appear a private car transfer from your hotel directly to the ship would be your preference.

Hi

It all depends on how important it is to make the trip as cheap as possible.

We don't.

We always use a limo company based near Southampton TMRexecutive-cars

They run Merc S class limos which are extremely comfortable. From central London it's about 2 hours 30 minutes and costs about £160, so if it's a special occasion, it might be worth it.

Very reliable.

There are no porters or luggage carts at Victoria Coach Station; you and your wife will have to carry all your luggage from the taxi drop off point to the assigned gate for the Cunard coach.

Although Victoria Coach Station is a disgrace to such a fine city, there are actually a couple porters who could help out, one just might need to wait until they notice you waiting. I'm only responding to state there are actually porters available if needed for others reading along. Recently they charged 10 pounds to move eight large 50 pound bags from arrivals to departures.

However, if this is your 25th anniversary, I don't recommend transferring through Victoria Station. You will feel like you are in a 3rd world country as the bus station is extremely cramped, limited porters, one must go outside in the elements to go from arrivals to departures, etc. London really needs to upgrade this very busy and important bus station.

--

whyohwhyoh

Thank you all for your advise. It gives us a few things to think about. I do like that if we do choose to go with the Cunard transfer, we will not have to worry about our luggage until onboard. Thank you also for the links to the other options. I will have to check into them.

I agree! Thanks.

Out of curiosity I checked the fare from London to Southampton and this site quoted £51 which works out to approximately Can.$100. Cunard's transfer fare is a comparative bargain.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thank you all for your advise. It gives us a few things to think about. I do like that if we do choose to go with the Cunard transfer, we will not have to worry about our luggage until onboard. Thank you also for the links to the other options. I will have to check into them.

If you go by private car, you won't have to worry about it either. The driver would collect you and your luggage from the hotel and place it in the car boot. When he dropped you off at the cruise terminal, it would be handed straight over to the porters without you having to touch it. (I always check, though, and count the bags as they come out of the boot.)

The Cunard Connection, coach service from London Victoria Coach Station to the ship in Southampton, is an excellent way to begin your trip. I do it all the time, most recently last 15 December. Victoria Coach Station isn't that large, certainly not from the entrance corner to Gate One. Usually at ten am two Cunard attendants will check arrivals, assure baggage is properly tagged. It is pleasant checking the crowd, seeing who is sailing with you. The ride down is high, you easily see "scenery" if you wish. Or sleep. Your bags will be boarded on the bus for you, in Soton all will be sent directly to your cabin. No problem. By hire car or train you must hassle with luggage; with the Connection you do not. The fare is most reasonable.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I decided years ago - in the QE2 days - that part of the luxury of our crossings and/or cruise out of Southampton was comfort and ease...

With this in mind, we have been using WOODFORD CHAUFFEUR CARS for 10 years now. They are excellent !!

The vehicles are lovely, and the service is, of course, door-to-door. No lifting and hauling heavy bags around...they do that from curb to ship terminal.

The drivers are delightful.

You travel in quiet elegance, and arrive at the ship (or hotel, if you go a day or so earlier) relaxed.

Friends of ours have used WOODFORD in the past, and have also been very impressed.

The trains are not cheap and your have to lug all your bags yourself. The Cunard Coach from Victoria is more affordable, but you DO have to get yourself to Victoria, wait, board the coach, etc...

All options have their merits - plus & minus.

We feel that - given the pleasant experience - we get excellent value for what we spend with WOODFORD !!

Do an online search and give them a try.

Isn't there coach transfer from St. Pancras train station to Southampton? So you just need to take a taxi to St. Pancras from your London hotel.

Yes, St. Pancras is one of the options for a transfer. The cost is the same as from Victoria.

This note appears when making the enquiry:

"Coach transfer from London St Pancras International Station to the ship, berthed in Southampton. A Cunard representative will meet you at the exit doors of Eurostar arrivals located on the ground floor from 09:30 - 11:30 am, the transfer will depart at 11:30 am. It is your responsibility to be on time and failure to do so could result in you missing the transfer. No refund will be provided in this instance. Transfer is valid on embarkation day only. Travelling time approximately 2 - 2.5 hours depending on traffic. Local operator Intercruises who can be contact no: +44 (0)20 7467 7690."