Seattle help

golfer1903

I will be returning I'm may from an alaksa in cruise on ncl pier 61 or is it 66? Anyways what would be a safe return flight time. 1130?? 115? 250? I realize later is better and safer but can I make those other times usually? Or maybe does anyone know what time these ships start unloading people

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

if you look down the page you'll find recent answers to this question. At some point it depends on your comfort level, how much wiggle room you need for any issues that might arise.

Here is my standard response for timing:

It's a 30 minute drive from the pier to SeaTac, but allow 1 hr due to tunnel/hwy construction, city events, sports events and the usual congestion.

For a domestic flight you should be at the airport 2 hrs prior to departure. SeaTac is extremely busy in the summer, esp on weekends when several thousand cruise pax are told to be at the airport for noon or later.

So backing into that, for an 11am flight your taxi/towncar needs to be pulling away from the pier by 8/8:15am.

I would ask that question on your cruiseline's forum. Someone with past experience can probably answer that question.

Call your cruiseline or TA.

p.s. indicate if you are planning to self-disembark, carry your own luggage off the ship.

Edited by mapleleaves

I will be returning I'm may from an alaksa in cruise on ncl pier 61 or is it 66? Anyways what would be a safe return flight time. 1130?? 115? 250? I realize later is better and safer but can I make those other times usually? Or maybe does anyone know what time these ships start unloading people

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

We have taken a 12 noon (-ish) flight home on every one of our Alaska cruises, and have never had any trouble getting to the gate in plenty of time. I'd recommend anything in the 11 am to 1 pm range, adjusting your disembarkation time accordingly.

With respect to arriving at the airport 2 hours prior to flight departure, we live south of SeaTac and fly out of that airport frequently. Since we have TSA Pre check we never get there two hours before departure. The last 10 times at the airport we have proceeded through security in 2 to 3 minutes. A few days ago my wife flew out and was through security in 30 seconds.

So if you have pre-check, even on a cruise day, security is a breeze.:)

With respect to arriving at the airport 2 hours prior to flight departure, we live south of SeaTac and fly out of that airport frequently. Since we have TSA Pre check we never get there two hours before departure. The last 10 times at the airport we have proceeded through security in 2 to 3 minutes. A few days ago my wife flew out and was through security in 30 seconds.

So if you have pre-check, even on a cruise day, security is a breeze.:)

How does one go about getting TSA pre-check?

How does one go about getting TSA pre-check?

https://www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck

Note you can also apply for Global Entry, which includes Precheck eligibility plus lets you speed through immigration when entering the US or a (growing) number of foreign countries. Costs $100 instead of $85. http://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry

https://www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck

Note you can also apply for Global Entry, which includes Precheck eligibility plus lets you speed through immigration when entering the US or a (growing) number of foreign countries. Costs $100 instead of $85. http://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry

Global entry is what we have and qualifies us for pre-check. Pre-check is even printed on our boarding pass.:)

The only piers Global Entry seems to be at - and even then there are folks posting they didn't see signs or kiosks - are down in Florida.

I doubt there will be any chance of us seeing GE in Seattle or Vancouver until at least all of the year-round ports have it in place - whatever the operational savings are for ports due to needing fewer CBP staff (let's face it, there's no way that anyone is putting this in to improve customer service!!!) they'll break even much quicker if they use it 12 months a year instead of the six-ish for Alaskan cruises...

• 2 weeks later...

There was a feature story on the local TV news last night regarding Seattle airport wait times for the TSA security check. Wait times are getting longer. The TSA has fewer employees than in the past due to budgetary restrictions. The recommendations are now to allow 2+ hours for domestic flights. We are not yet into our tourist season when lines will be longer. On our most recent flight the TSA pre-check line was nearly the same as the regular line.

There was a feature story on the local TV news last night regarding Seattle airport wait times for the TSA security check. Wait times are getting longer. The TSA has fewer employees than in the past due to budgetary restrictions. The recommendations are now to allow 2+ hours for domestic flights. We are not yet into our tourist season when lines will be longer. On our most recent flight the TSA pre-check line was nearly the same as the regular line.

It will also continue to get worse as Delta and Alaska try to out do the other in their competition for the domestic airline market leaving SeaTac.

Keep in mind, you can use any security checkpoint as you can get to all gates one way or another inside security.

There has been no reduction of TSA employees at SeaTac, in fact they are hiring more employees that will be in place during the cruise season. There are four TSA entry points at the airport and usually one or two are not crowded. I have never had more than a 20 minute wait to get through TSA.

Ok going to take a chance and take the 11:35am flight. I talked to RCCL and the lady told me the ship docks at 6am and allow up to 2 hrs to clear customs. However, I've never been on a ship that took 2 hrs to clear. She also said that if we had RCCL transfers which we don't but she was just telling me that they say don't book earlier than an 11:45am depart. She said get a taxi and we should be fine. BTW...we will dock at Pier 91 Smith Cove.

Ok going to take a chance and take the 11:35am flight. I talked to RCCL and the lady told me the ship docks at 6am and allow up to 2 hrs to clear customs. However, I've never been on a ship that took 2 hrs to clear. She also said that if we had RCCL transfers which we don't but she was just telling me that they say don't book earlier than an 11:45am depart. She said get a taxi and we should be fine. BTW...we will dock at Pier 91 Smith Cove.

I don't think you're taking much of a risk.:)

As I posted earlier in this thread, you should factor about 3 hrs between leaving the pier and arriving at SeaTac. For an 11:35 flight you need to be leaving the pier around 8:30am.

Checkpoint #1 on the attached map gets backed up because the cruise shuttles drop off at that door. At SeaTac you can use ANY checkpoint; not just the one near your gate. So if one line is long, send someone ahead to look at the others.

http://www.portseattle.org/Sea-Tac/Traveler-Updates/Pages/Security.aspx

There will be a taxi line at the pier, or you can make a reservation for a cab, car service or flatrate service. Or for 2 people, Seattle Express will be filling up buses and sending them to SeaTac, $15pp.

I don't think you're taking much of a risk.:)

As I posted earlier in this thread, you should factor about 3 hrs between leaving the pier and arriving at SeaTac. For an 11:35 flight you need to be leaving the pier around 8:30am.

Checkpoint #1 on the attached map gets backed up because the cruise shuttles drop off at that door. At SeaTac you can use ANY checkpoint; not just the one near your gate. So if one line is long, send someone ahead to look at the others.

http://www.portseattle.org/Sea-Tac/Traveler-Updates/Pages/Security.aspx

There will be a taxi line at the pier, or you can make a reservation for a cab, car service or flatrate service. Or for 2 people, Seattle Express will be filling up buses and sending them to SeaTac, $15pp.

It doesn't take 3 hours to go from the pier to SeaTac. It takes 20 minutes, 30 minutes going in the rush hour. It takes 2- 3 hours from Vancouver.

Edited by chewap

It doesn't take 3 hours to go from the pier to SeaTac. It takes 20 minutes, 30 minutes going in the rush hour. It takes 2- 3 hours from Vancouver.

you didn't read my first post which details the 3 hr timing:

- 1 hr for the transfer (30 minute ride plus 30 for wiggle room)

- you should be at the airport 2 hrs prior to departure for a domestic flight.