Nieuw Amsterdam Room Question

Snowy79

We are going on NA next year to Alaska. My sister-in-law has been known to get seasick, but that was when they were whale watching in a small boat in the Caribbean. She is nervous that she will get sea sick again on this cruise. So she is having a hard time deciding between rooms. She is contemplating 7143, which is an aft cabin, or 6051, which is in the middle but closer to the front. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I personally love the aft cabins, but as we are travelling with our 3 year old, we can't have one because they are only double occupancy.

Thank you in advance!!

IMO those two would get about equal motion - maybe a little more in 7143. If you want less, go lower, like the deck 4 VB's near the forward or aft elevators.

Edited by jtl513

I suffer with seasickness and agree lower and central is best. However how much time will you spend in your cabin?

When afflicted I find if I go to bed and lie down it subsides, wherever the cabin is located.

More important in my view is to have effective seasickness medication which has made all the difference to me on various cruises.

We are on an Alaska cruise in June with Hal (our first with them) and hope for smooth sailing!

Along with lower deck cabins, have her get Bonine. I also found on my Alaska cruise, there is not as much motion as the Caribbean, not sure if it was luck or because your closer to land during the cruise.

Hope this helps, enjoy your cruise.

Edited by doone

I was on the NA last year in an aft cabin- overlooking the wake- deck 6. I suffered from motion sickness most of the week. At that time the NA also had some vibration issues, which may or may not still be happening. We are sailing on the NA next month, and I have returned to my tried and true location- midship and not to high. Enjoy.

We are sailing on the NA in a few weeks and our cabin is very forward. I have the patches so I don't think it will bother me. When we did Alaska, it was very smooth sailing. Boston to Montreal last summer was a bit more rough.

This is my experience....We had an aft cabin and I really felt the motion. I was seasick one night when we ran into a storm. However many people were sick that night. When we book mid-ship, same deck as the Neptune Lounge, we rarely feel motion.

I agree, midship, and low. DH and I were midship on the lowest passenger deck and felt almost no motion in our cabin during a storm that had most of the pax seasick. When we went up to the Lido for Late Night Snack, we were really shocked at how much motion we could feel up there compared to what we felt in our cabin.

Hard to advise you as to which room to take, you already know that mid-ship is more stable and lower is more stable, but we find aft moves less than the bow, but more than mid-ship.

Are you aware of SeaBands? They are not medication, they are elastic wrist bands with a half-round "button" that, when placed properly, presses on an accupressure point inside the wrist which alleviates nausea. We use them if the seas get rougher and carry Bonine as a back-up. SeaBands are available in most large drug stores usually next to the seasickness meds. m--