Optional tours on Viking

ambelina

We will be on the Grand European cruise from Amsterdam to Budapest this June. Since Viking is now offering prebooking of optional tours, we wondered what are some favorites, not to be missed or don't bother tours. We figured we would book some of the more popular tours ahead and then take our chances with other tours once onboard.

I am not experienced with river cruising. I am taking the Grand European in a few weeks - our 1st river cruise. I've lived in Germany for 10 years thanks to the US Army Lived along the Rhine once and near Wurzburg another. Returning "home" Rothenburg was our favorite Go-To place. If you have not been there, I recommend the optional tour. It is worth the effort.

Buy yourself a Schneeballen or 2 at a Backerei They are only sold in Rothenburg

YUMMY

I am not experienced with river cruising. I am taking the Grand European in a few weeks - our 1st river cruise. I've lived in Germany for 10 years thanks to the US Army Lived along the Rhine once and near Wurzburg another. Returning "home" Rothenburg was our favorite Go-To place. If you have not been there, I recommend the optional tour. It is worth the effort.

Buy yourself a Schneeballen or 2 at a Backerei They are only sold in Rothenburg

YUMMY

Thank you for your reply cruiser02. Rothenburg was definitely one of the tours that we were thinking of. What is a Schneeballen?

We bought a Schneeball in Rothenberg. Imagine a long strip of shortbread-like pastry the size of fettuccine, loosely crumpled up into a ball the size of your fist, and baked. Then it's coated with powdered sugar. It was tasty enough but it can be a little dry so have a coffee with it and it will be very nice. I thought I took a picture of the one we bought, but I can't find it now.

Schneeball translates to snowball, BTW. Schneeballen is just the plural. Fitting!

Edited by jpalbny

Picture of bakery store window with Schneeballen displayed. This store is right in the town square, and has a few tables and chairs putside if you want to sit and have a coffee ans bakery item.

image.jpg.8f60692f4b25e46caa634749337c0d93.jpg

Carol

The Vienna classical music concert was great and I am not a classical lover

This is interesting because we had picked 3 tours to book ahead and then take our chances of booking any others on the cruise. We had chosen Rothenburg, the classical music concert in Vienna and the Schoenbrun (sp?) Palace. So it looks like we have made good choices. Any others that were very enjoyable?

Thank you all for your suggestions.

This is interesting because we had picked 3 tours to book ahead and then take our chances of booking any others on the cruise. We had chosen Rothenburg, the classical music concert in Vienna and the Schoenbrun (sp?) Palace. So it looks like we have made good choices. Any others that were very enjoyable?

Thank you all for your suggestions.

For what it is worth, Schönbrunn Palace is easily accessible by U-bahn 4, and you can purchase your own tickets (includes audio guide in language of your choice) ahead of time at http://www.imperial-austria.at/schoenbrunn-palace.html. I prefer to proceed at my own pace. I don't speak German, but had no difficulty doing this on my own (the boat usually docks a short walk from Vorgartenstrasse station on U1 [ticket machine offers English, click on UK flag]; switch to U4 at Schwedenplatz; get off at Schönbrunn).

Thom

• 2 weeks later...

Thom's advice is excellent. We did this on our own too. Tickets were bought in advance - long story but we bought them when we thought we'd be in Vienna on a river cruise, but that was back in June 2013...so the cruise didn't happen, but we went to Vienna anyway!

Two caveats: one, the palace isn't visible from the U-bahn exit but there are signs that direct you towards the palace. Turn right and walk slightly uphill. Two, the tickets are timed entry. But if you buy the combination Sisi ticket, you can show up whenever you want, and you have your own separate express entry line. The ticket also gets you into the Hofburg Palace, Sisi museum, and the Imperial treasury.

Enjoy either way - it's beautiful, and the gardens are spectacular as well.