Down pillows and blankets on carnival ships?

jesskuhmarie

So I was just reading a review of the Carnival Glory from 2006 (a lot has changed, I know). But one thing stuck out to me and that is that the person said the pillows and duvet were filled with down. I am allergic to feathers, not dangerously, but will get no sleep and have a stuffy head all day and night if I sleep around feather pillows.

Is this true and if so, is there a way to request no down in our room ahead of time or at least before bedtime the first night?

Thanks!

So I was just reading a review of the Carnival Glory from 2006 (a lot has changed, I know). But one thing stuck out to me and that is that the person said the pillows and duvet were filled with down. I am allergic to feathers, not dangerously, but will get no sleep and have a stuffy head all day and night if I sleep around feather pillows.

Is this true and if so, is there a way to request no down in our room ahead of time or at least before bedtime the first night?

Thanks!

No worries, that changed long ago. I don't know if it was down or down alternative, but it was so lovely and soft - like sleeping in a cloud. That was back in 2005 (my first CCL cruise), and possibly thru 2009 (my second CCL cruise) as well. The Carnival Comfort bedding is long gone. The beds are HARD now.

Edited by ShakyBeef

No worries, that changed long ago. I don't know if it was down or down alternative, but it was so lovely and soft - like sleeping in a cloud. That was back in 2005 (my first CCL cruise), and possibly thru 2009 (my second CCL cruise) as well. The Carnival Comfort bedding is long gone. The beds are HARD now.

Well darn, I guess that's good and bad for me! Sucks to hear that the beds are hard now but I'm glad to not have to deal with the prospect of a stuffy nose all week! Thanks for responding!

Thanks for sharing the info on the bedding Shakybeef. I for one will be thrilled with a hard bed. I have on occasion had to spread a blanket on the floor and slept there, when hotel or ship beds were what others call "comfy". On the other hand there have been even more occasions when I would have given a fortune for a soft, squishy down pillow, instead of those over stuffed "basketballs in a pillowcase" that they often have. I expect it would be impossible to make us all happy at the same time.

Edited by Gayle V

Well darn, I guess that's good and bad for me! Sucks to hear that the beds are hard now but I'm glad to not have to deal with the prospect of a stuffy nose all week! Thanks for responding!

You're welcome. Hey, maybe you'll luck out and get one of the old, softer mattresses that hasn't been changed out to the new, (I'm guessing cheaper), hard ones yet.:)

I bring my own foam mattress topper now, after DH and I both had hip and shoulder pains from the way-beyond-firmness of our Carnival mattress. I buy it new, ask the Steward to put it on the bed on embarkation day, and leave it behind on debarkation day. It's not great, but it saves us from waking up sore.

Many here swear the beds are the same as they have always been, but many of us know better. I can understand some people think the beds are still comfortable, in their opinion. But to deny the fact that those big, fluffy, down (or down alternative)-filled bed toppers and comforters are gone, or to refuse to admit they ever existed, is just mind-boggling.:confused:

Thanks for sharing the info on the bedding Shakybeef. I for one will be thrilled with a hard bed. I have on occasion had to spread a blanket on the floor and slept there, when hotel or ship beds were what others call "comfy". On the other hand there have been even more occasions when I would have given a fortune for a soft, squishy down pillow, instead of those over stuffed "basketballs in a pillowcase" that they often have. I expect it would be impossible to make us all happy at the same time.

You're welcome! You're absolutely right: they couldn't have the "perfect" bed for all of us. If we all had the same definition of comfortable, a lot of mattress companies would be obsolete.:p It sounds like the new Carnival beds will be perfect for you. And I'll keep bringing a mattress topper when I cruise with Carnival. BTW: they don't provide eggcrate mattress toppers anymore, either.;)

You're welcome! You're absolutely right: they couldn't have the "perfect" bed for all of us. If we all had the same definition of comfortable, a lot of mattress companies would be obsolete.:p It sounds like the new Carnival beds will be perfect for you. And I'll keep bringing a mattress topper when I cruise with Carnival. BTW: they don't provide eggcrate mattress toppers anymore, either.;)

They did last year on the Glory when my mom and sister had a 1A. They put it on the sofa automatically without asking. It was pretty comfy if I do say so myself (long day at Mr Sancho's[emoji12]).

I think they may be more limited now than before, but if you ask I'm sure they will find one [emoji4].

I will say that last week on the Glory I had THE hardest bed ever. Normally at home I sleep on one side of the bed so I naturally gravitate there. Well I switched sides after the first night as the other bed wasn't quite as bad. But good grief it was still far from comfy. I too agree that they are not the same mattress they had before. Not even close and I don't care what the "Beards" say!

If they used mattress foundations on the ship, I would have sworn that's what I had instead of an actual mattress to give you an idea of what it felt like.

Edited by firemanbobswife

They did last year on the Glory when my mom and sister had a 1A. They put it on the sofa automatically without asking. It was pretty comfy if I do say so myself (long day at Mr Sancho's[emoji12]).

I think they may be more limited now than before, but if you ask I'm sure they will find one [emoji4].

I will say that last week on the Glory I had THE hardest bed ever. Normally at home I sleep on one side of the bed so I naturally gravitate there. Well I switched sides after the first night as the other bed wasn't quite as bad. But good grief it was still far from comfy. I too agree that they are not the same mattress they had before. Not even close and I don't care what the "Beards" say!

If they used mattress foundations on the ship, I would have sworn that's what I had instead of an actual mattress to give you an idea of what it felt like.

I'm sorry, I should have said that they are phasing out eggcrates, not that they aren't giving them out anymore. Some ships don't have any left at all. The Steward will put an extra bedspread/comforter/duvet thingy under the fitted sheet in lieu of the eggcrate - which amounts to a poor substitute for an already poor substitute for a comfortable bed.:(

There have been many people, including myself, that have asked for one on embarkation day and been told they do not have any, even that they don't offer them anymore. I'm sure there are some left on some ships, that haven't gotten nasty enough to be thrown away yet, but I'm pretty sure they're just not replenishing the stock anymore, and when those last few are gone, there won't be anymore.

I sure do miss that Carnival Comfort bedding. DH and I totally revamped our bedding at home to emulate it. At least I sleep on a cloud at home, now, even though I can't anymore on a Carnival ship.:p

We were on Fascination last week and found the beds harder than we would like, but not so much as to prevent us from sleeping. I also can't sleep with down, and the first thing I did was to check the pillow contents, and they were not feathers. If they had been, I would have asked for hypoallergenic pillows. EM

If you sleep on your back then the super hard bed may be good, but if you sleep on your side it will probably be bad news.

Some of those beds are so hard that I wake up in the night because the bed hurts my hips.

It is like the mattress is trying to push me off or something.

I hope Triumph has egg crates still.