Naples to Capri Hydro

chloe kitty

Has anybody used Capri.com to purchase their Hydrofoil ticket in advance?

We know there is a service charge, but we just feel safer knowing we have tickets for a particular Hydo. Last time I was in Capri, there was no company that sold tickets in advance, so it surprised me to find this website.

Also, there appear to be two ferry terminals. I believe the one near our ship last time was the Molo Beverello., which was only a 5-10 minute walk. Is this the one we should be looking for?

Thank you.

Did you see the booking fee on that site? It's €12! That's absurd!

You can purchase your tickets directly from the ferry company for a much smaller booking fee of less than €3.

Molo Beverello is the pier adjacent to the cruise port, which is where most cruises berth. On particularly busy days some cruises wind up further east, closer to the other pier, Porta di Massa.

You can check to see where your ship is scheduled to be on the Port Authority web site here: http://www.terminalnapoli.it/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=245. Use the arrows to find the month and click on the date of your port day in Naples. When you do this a list of the ships in port that day and their berths will appear.

Go to this page to see the layout of the berths: http://www.terminalnapoli.it/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=219&Itemid=187

Of course, this is just the plan and there's no guarantee that your ship will actually wind up at that berth.

Agree with Euro (as nearly always). No need to pay extra money to buy advance tickets, and you also cannot know the best time. When you leave the ship, just walk over to the nearby ferry terminal (it is towards your left when facing inland) which is Molo Beverello. There will be 2 different companies running jetboats/hydrofoils to Capri and you would simply want to purchase tickets for the next boat.... The tickets are not exchangable between the companies which is another reason why you don't want to buy a ticket until you are actually at the ferry terminal.

About two years ago we were on a cruise that docked 2 hours late in Naples due to high winds/seas. The local pilot would not allow any cruise ships into the port until those winds dropped to an acceptable level. Anyone who had purchased advance tickets would have missed their boat (assuming it was even running) and then had to deal with a refund. But since you are purchasing through a third party....good luck on getting your money back.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Did you see the booking fee on that site? It's €12! That's absurd!

You can purchase your tickets directly from the ferry company for a much smaller booking fee of less than €3.

Molo Beverello is the pier adjacent to the cruise port, which is where most cruises berth. On particularly busy days some cruises wind up further east, closer to the other pier, Porta di Massa.

You can check to see where your ship is scheduled to be on the Port Authority web site here: http://www.terminalnapoli.it/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=245. Use the arrows to find the month and click on the date of your port day in Naples. When you do this a list of the ships in port that day and their berths will appear.

Go to this page to see the layout of the berths: http://www.terminalnapoli.it/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=219&Itemid=187

Of course, this is just the plan and there's no guarantee that your ship will actually wind up at that berth.

Agree with Euro (as nearly always). No need to pay extra money to buy advance tickets, and you also cannot know the best time. When you leave the ship, just walk over to the nearby ferry terminal (it is towards your left when facing inland) which is Molo Beverello. There will be 2 different companies running jetboats/hydrofoils to Capri and you would simply want to purchase tickets for the next boat.... The tickets are not exchangable between the companies which is another reason why you don't want to buy a ticket until you are actually at the ferry terminal.

About two years ago we were on a cruise that docked 2 hours late in Naples due to high winds/seas. The local pilot would not allow any cruise ships into the port until those winds dropped to an acceptable level. Anyone who had purchased advance tickets would have missed their boat (assuming it was even running) and then had to deal with a refund. But since you are purchasing through a third party....good luck on getting your money back.

Hank

Thank you for your helpful info. I see that there will be three other ships in that day, but only one of the arrives at the same time that we do. It is not as bad as I thought it would be.

Since the cruise ships arrange tours to Capri,is it difficult to obtain a return hydro in the late afternoon without purchasing your tickets in advance.

I have heard that they book up the later return hydro's.

Thanks again

It's not difficult to get a return ticket for the afternoon on the day of, but I wouldn't leave it til the last minute.

Most people recommend that you go over to Capri and then, before heading off to enjoy the day, purchase your preferred return tickets while you're still there at the ferry terminal.

Easy peasy, and you'll know what time to plan to be back.

I spent a magical week in Capri years ago, but I've never been while in port. The reason is our hydrofoil was delayed going into Capri due to winds and so I've been (overly-)cautious. I'm guessing that if the wind was going to be an issue later in the day, they would know that in the morning? Think I'd like to go back next time I'm in port at Naples. Thanks!

Thank you for your helpful info. I see that there will be three other ships in that day, but only one of the arrives at the same time that we do. It is not as bad as I thought it would be.

Since the cruise ships arrange tours to Capri,is it difficult to obtain a return hydro in the late afternoon without purchasing your tickets in advance.

I have heard that they book up the later return hydro's.

Thanks again

Naples is a large port and 4 cruise ships in a day is not unusual. We have been in the port with 6 other ships (some had to dock at the commercial non-ship docks. Keep in mind that there are lots of options at this port so cruisers are going off in all different directions. But do heed Cruisemom's wise advice to purchase a return ticket as soon as you arrive at Capri. As you walk off the dock there is a ticket office (I believe it is still on your right) where you can walk over, see the posted schedule (which includes all the different boat lines) and you just pick the boat that best meets your own schedule (we suggest planning to arrive back in Naples at least an hour early). Make sure you purchase a ticket for a boat that goes to Molo Beverello......and NOT Molo Mergellina (which is a couple of miles from the cruise port).

Hank

• 1 year later...

I have found an incredible amount of usefulinformation as I've been searching this forum for ideas on Capri. There is one question I haven't seen asked,or if it was, I missed it. Let's say Ibuy a 4:30pm return trip on the Hyrdofoil and discover at 3pm I am ready tohead back, will they let you change if there is availability? I don't really expect this to happen, butwould be nice to know if it is possible.

My last trip to Capri was on a ship excursionwhich also included many other stops so I plan to do it all myself this time,weather dependent of course.

Thanks so much,

Brenda

I have found an incredible amount of usefulinformation as I've been searching this forum for ideas on Capri. There is one question I haven't seen asked,or if it was, I missed it. Let's say Ibuy a 4:30pm return trip on the Hyrdofoil and discover at 3pm I am ready tohead back, will they let you change if there is availability? I don't really expect this to happen, butwould be nice to know if it is possible.

My last trip to Capri was on a ship excursionwhich also included many other stops so I plan to do it all myself this time,weather dependent of course.

Thanks so much,

Brenda

On our previous trips, you could use a timed/reserve ticket on an earlier boat of the same company if space was availalbe. I will emphasize that there are 2 different companies (SNAV and NLG) and, in the past, they would not honor each other's tickets. However, this may or may not still be the case (things in Italy are always changing). We recently noticed that both SNAV and NLG are now owned by the same company (Gescab) so we have wondered if they will now honor each other's tickets. We will have to wait for the answer until we get back to Naples...or somebody else posts the current policy.

Keep in mind that wise traveler always checks the current policy. So the day you take the trip, ask at the ticket window (and hope they speak English). You can also ask the ticket collector...as you board the first boat.

Hank

On our previous trips, you could use a timed/reserve ticket on an earlier boat of the same company if space was availalbe. I will emphasize that there are 2 different companies (SNAV and NLG) and, in the past, they would not honor each other's tickets. However, this may or may not still be the case (things in Italy are always changing). We recently noticed that both SNAV and NLG are now owned by the same company (Gescab) so we have wondered if they will now honor each other's tickets. We will have to wait for the answer until we get back to Naples...or somebody else posts the current policy.

Keep in mind that wise traveler always checks the current policy. So the day you take the trip, ask at the ticket window (and hope they speak English). You can also ask the ticket collector...as you board the first boat.

Hank

Thanks Hank! If I learn anything I will let you know, but we don't go until October. Like I said it's doubtful we'd have reason to leave early anyway, but I'll probably want to book the latest we feel comfortable with so you never know. If we finish up early I wouldn't mind taking a look around the Naples port which is something we've never done. But somehow I doubt my feet are going to like that idea after a day in Capri!

Brenda