Best Cruise Line for Baltic Cruise??

Heytoots

I am thinking of taking a Scandinavian/Baltic cruise in the summer of '06, and I was wondering if any of you seasoned travelers could give me your thoughts and opinions on different cruise lines. I am trying to steer clear of the NCL Dream....as much as I enjoy the NCL line for the Carribean, I feel that I would like a different experience for Europe. I am a young 53, and have been to Europe several times, just not Northern Europe. Also, any pre and post hotel ideas would be great!!! Thanks!!!!:)

I just reserached this myself as I am going to do a Baltic cruise next year to celebrate my 50th.

I looked at Radisson, Crystal, RCI, Celebrity and Oceania.

I ended up booking Jewel of the Seas for 8/14.

I can get a balcony for 12 days for the same as an outside on Oceania or Celebrity and Radisson and Crystal were much more expensive.

Also, the perks as a Diamond Plus on RCI are significant for a cruise of this length.

I am very active and the fitness center on Jewel is much more extensive than on the other ships I considered, an important factor in my decision. Also, the nightlife on RCI is typically quite good and I do enjoy going out after dinner.

I loved the Serenade and hope the Jewel will be a good choice.

did the baltic with constellation celebrity this summer 7/30. the cruise line 3rd time i have used celebrity second in europe was great. ship is wonderful. fitness center is great, entertainment wonderful, guest lecuturer was rita moreno. can't say enough good things about the cruise line. you can email me directily at marilyn52246 and yahoo is my server and i will answer anything. we had horrible weather. paid premium for that time of year and it was not worth it- just the luck of the draw all ships pulling in had the same weather. do take private excursions can tell you the ones i used. celebrity's are as good as all the other lines but l privates are always better and of course cheaper. i did pre in london as i was told by a fellow traveler i met on board who lived in england that dover was not a great place to stay and london is incredible. again book yourself- probably thru priceline- i got hilton free- great location but i don't think it is cheap. i did a wonderful post - 6 nights in paris as we ended in dover and i took the eurostar from ashford thru the chunnel but it would depend on where you embark and disembark. would love to share if you wish to email me.:)

marilyn

If you don't mind smaller ships have a look at Orientlines ...Marco Polo We did the Baltic trip with them in 2003 and it was great. Pre cruise hotel was included....The cabins maybe smaller than on the new ships but she is a good old ship!

Another thing to check out as well is the amount of time the ship stays in St.P's..just a few of them stay more than 2 days,but Silversea and I believe Oceania stay in port for 3 and it can make seeing the sights much easier.they may cost a little bit more,but not knowing what size ship you want these would be a small and medium size.

We did a 14-day Baltic Cruise this summer on HAL's Prinsendam. It was great-one of the best cruises we have taken. Because the Prinsendam is a relatively small ship, with a passenger capacity of about 800, it was able to do a transit of the Kiel Canal, which was a wonderful experience in itself. The crew and staff were outstanding and the ship has an intimate feel to it without feeling crowded. Also, each cabin has a walk-in closet. The Prinsendam became our favorite ship in the process!

Archived