Formal nights on celebrity

Sewinque

"elegant chic" these days means starched but wrinkled mid calf cargo pants, boots, an oversize flat brimmed ball cap worn sideways over the ears and a relatively spot free logo t-shirt. Elegant chic indeed.

Sadly, dressing formal or even tastefully one or two nights per seven day cruise died many years ago on most cruise ships. Good manners is running a close second.

I was on Celebrity in September on an Alaskan cruise. There were two nights during that trip, in which the majority of people got very dressed up (tuxes, suits, fancy dresses). I'm not sure if they were called formal nights or elegant nights, but the result was the same. I didn't find it any different from the other cruise lines re formal nights. I quite enjoy the dress-up nights!

I was on Celebrity in September on an Alaskan cruise. There were two nights during that trip' date=' in which the majority of people got very dressed up (tuxes, suits, fancy dresses). I'm not sure if they were called formal nights or elegant nights, but the result was the same. I didn't find it any different from the other cruise lines re formal nights. I quite enjoy the dress-up nights![/quote']

The change came after September, I think November or December. In January on the Solstice, it was definitely called "Evening Chic", not formal. There were a few tuxes, but most men were in nice shirts, with or without ties, with or without jackets. Most women dressed pretty much as before - nice skirts or pants or dressier capris with dressier tops. I saw no 'gowns', but then can't remember when I ever have seen an actual gown other than in isolated cases where it looked like someone was celebrating a special family occasion (anniversary, birthday) with lots of picture taking.

There were a very few dressed like they were running out to their local Walmart, but those were definitely the exception and no one paid much attention to them. From our perspective, the variety definitely made 'people watching' much more interesting!

I agree with the above. We had traditional dining late sitting and most people looked really smart. There was little change in what the ladies wore (lots of lovely dresses on show). Quite a few of the men (Brits especially) wore tuxedos, some wore suits, others looked good in tailored long sleeve shirts both with and without ties. Having said that many people claimed to be unaware of the change from formal nights so things may change when the word gets out to everyone.

The formal nights before were never truly formal anyway, at least not in recent history. Although, the clientele of Celebrity tend to be dressier, so you won't be out of place wearing what you'd usually wear on a formal night. So no big deal.

• 2 months later...

I always liked formal nights. To me "evening chic" is just a way to say "we like formal, but the majority wins, you don't have to dress up if you don't want to."

We are sailing on the Equinox in September, Istanbul to Barcelona. I have a tux and was planning to wear it. It sounds like I would probably not be alone but definitely in the minority. What do you think -- maybe 10% of the guys??? If so, I'm OK with that.

After I typed this, I realized I am logged in under my wife's sign-on. Somehow "twilightrabbit" doesn't seem like a tuxedo moniker.

I always liked formal nights. To me "evening chic" is just a way to say "we like formal, but the majority wins, you don't have to dress up if you don't want to."

We are sailing on the Equinox in September, Istanbul to Barcelona. I have a tux and was planning to wear it. It sounds like I would probably not be alone but definitely in the minority. What do you think -- maybe 10% of the guys??? If so, I'm OK with that.

After I typed this, I realized I am logged in under my wife's sign-on. Somehow "twilightrabbit" doesn't seem like a tuxedo moniker.

I say if you want to wear a Tux, wear it! Personally I am a cruiser that has no interest whatsoever in dressing formal on any cruise. A nice shirt and slacks suffices for me.:)

On the Eclipse TA, most guests dressed very nicely for Chic nights. Smart outfits, DJs, long dresses. They were all in evidence. I do know that TAs have a different ambiance to say, a 7 night Caribbean cruise but I still think people who have always enjoyed dressing up will continue to do so.