Dream cruise from New Orleans - Sightsee before or after?

tbmrt

We've never visited or cruised from New Orleans so we decided to book the Dream cruise to accomplish both.

Our rate includes the HI Metairie Airport w/free shuttle to port so we decided to just stay there the night before and visit New Orleans after the cruise, staying at a hotel in the Garden District near streetcar that has free parking.

Wondering if this decision is a good one or if it would be better to visit New Orleans before the cruise rather than afterward. Worried about being too tired to sightsee after our cruise.

Would appreciate input from those who combined sightseeing and cruising from NO.

Thank you.

We are doing the same - driving down to NOLA and cruising. We have cruised only two other times, but we always do pre-cruise touring. This cruise-critic board gave us the advice before our first one and they were so right - after your cruise, you're ready to go home - before your cruise you are filled with excitement and energy. We spent two days in Stockholm before our baltic cruise and one night after - and after the cruise I just wanted to chill out and not sight-see anymore.

We plan to get there 2-3 days ahead (still planning). One night we will stay outside of the city - perhaps plantations and bayou. Then one day in NOLA before the cruise. Its a long drive north, so we will want to get back on the road.

I would love it either way, as New Orleans is my "home" city and I don't get there as often as I like. I would probably do a bit both pre and post cruise. We like to plan a little something post cruise so there's something to look forward to to lessen the blow of being "kicked off" the ship. BTW staying I the Garden District near the street car is absolutely the best way to see the city. Take some time to explore the Magazine Street Area as well as downtown

Well, I just did this in January but on NCL. DH and I arrived 4 days prior and stayed 2 days after. We stay at the Four Points Sheriton right on Bourbon Street. We had a great time and saw a lot of sights prior to the cruise. Even participated in a parade one night. However, I was exhausted by the time I got on the ship, LOL!!! I needed my 1st sea day to recooperate. If I every do this again, I would stay one or two days prior and then spend more time after.

I personally prefer site seeing afterwards. We spent a few additional days in New Orleans after our cruise last fall, and it was so nice not to have to rush to get off of the ship to make a flight. We waited in the lido dining area and were one of the last people to get off. Everyone else was stressing while we relaxed. Plus, it helped my post-cruise depression to know that we still had a few more days of vacation before having to head home.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

So happy to read this...I've been going nuts deciding if we made right decision to stay in Garden District. Did you use the streetcar in evening (we'd be leaving Bourbon St. area no later than midnight!) to go back to GD hotel or take a taxi?

If you are just sight-seeing, I don't think it matters that much. If you are going to "party hard" in NO, then I would strongly suggest doing it beforehand. As someone else said, you can recover on the first couple of sea days.

In any event, we always front load our trip as we are tired after the cruise. It also helps to get into the vacation frame of mind before the cruise starts.

So happy to read this...I've been going nuts deciding if we made right decision to stay in Garden District. Did you use the streetcar in evening (we'd be leaving Bourbon St. area no later than midnight!) to go back to GD hotel or take a taxi?

I would take the St. Charles Streetcar early in the evening. They do not run as frequently as the night gets later so take a taxi back to your hotel if it will be that late. There will be plenty!

We've never visited or cruised from New Orleans so we decided to book the Dream cruise to accomplish both.

Our rate includes the HI Metairie Airport w/free shuttle to port so we decided to just stay there the night before and visit New Orleans after the cruise, staying at a hotel in the Garden District near streetcar that has free parking.

Wondering if this decision is a good one or if it would be better to visit New Orleans before the cruise rather than afterward. Worried about being too tired to sightsee after our cruise.

Would appreciate input from those who combined sightseeing and cruising from NO.

Thank you.

I agree with the others that a pre-cruise stay is better because when your cruise is over, you will be ready to go home.

I like to stay on the riverfront in downtown, usually at Harrah's or Hilton Riverside. NOLA's downtown area is so walkable and there is so much to see and do. I prefer this to being in the Bourbon Street area.

I am from there and I want to suggest that you take a taxi from the Quarter at night. I feel safe in NOLA but I also know the town and many, many people there. I do things most wouldn't. HOWEVER, the street cars do not run as often and the walk to catch them is not short after a long day. Just my thoughts!

We just got back from our NOLA cruise last Monday. We did both, spent 3 days before the cruise and 1 day after. It was nice to have the 2 sea days to relax after the 3 days in NOLA.

We stayed in an old hotel on the East end of the French Quarter near the French Market. That was nice because it was a short walk to great restaurants and shopping, and not too noisy at night. During the day we took tours, Plantations, City Tour, Grave Yards, Garden District, and after returning, a swamp tour. In the evenings we walked to different parts of the French Quarter and tried different restaurants.

After our cruise we stayed at Harrah's on the West end of the French Quarter. The rooms were nicer but I liked the location at the East end better.

We used the streetcars a couple of times but ended up doing more walking than riding. On one of our outings a car got stuck on the streetcar tracks so we had to find a taxi to get back.

We experienced a lot of places to eat, I would recommend Coops Place (red beans and rice), Belle's Diner (breakfast), and Red Gravy (Breakfast or Brunch).

Thank you.

before , one hard day and night, stumble to the ship and all will be good.

If you like EXCELLENT cuisine at a great price I would recommend Bachanal. It's a fave and is making lots of news lately and and it doesn't hurt that my BIL is the chef. Also you will enjoy The Gumbo Shop on St. Peters and we like The Crescent in The Royal Sonesta for a quick dinner. Not outrageous. You can hardly have a bad meal in NOLA. Somewhere....ANYWHERE get the BBq shrimp!!!!! Enjoy!

(Never cruised from NO, but we visited for four days and a Carnival ship was docked one of the days. Does that count?)

We run the numbers both ways. If the cost is roughly the same, we prefer pre. But if the airfare+hotel is sufficiently cheaper post, we go with that.

I live in New Orleans and would NEVER suggest staying in a hotel in Metairie [emoji31] it is an ok place to live but vaca. No. I also would not stay in the GD. If you are visiting NO stay somewhere nice in the quarter. The Royal Sonesta is nice. Others. Monteleon, Roosevelt, IDK. Look at some hotels and stay somewhere better than Metairie Hilton. PLEASE stay in FQ and walk to Dickie Brennan's if you like steak, or Mr Bs for yummy gumbo or shrimp and grits. There are soooooo many good restaurants

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We usually did streetcar during the day and taxis late at night. They are plentiful and inexpensive. After a long day of sightseeing and/or partying, we were ready for a quick ride back to our hotel/apartment (last trip we rented an apartment through vrbo) and preferred not to wait or make stops.

Muggzi....all the hotels you recommended in the FQ cost between 300 to 400 dollars per night. That's way over our budget. Do you have any other suggestions of where to stay that wouldn't be so expensive? We also will be driving in and I know most hotels in the FQ have large parking fees. If we can't afford to stay in the FQ, what would you suggest. Thanks for your help.

Maison Dupuy is a great place to stay! In the French quarter, close to all the action, but not so close to be noisy at night. Fairly reasonably priced when off season, anytime close to or leading up to Mardi Gras is expensive.

Oak Alley is an awesome plantation to tour, Commander's Palace or Court of Two Sisters are great places to eat!992c3c5bb8192b274bf9a779cb92a29d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by minnesotagirly

Have you checked out the hotels along Canal Street? All you have to do in some cases is cross Canal St and you are in the Quarter. Stay close to the Quarter if you can. You can ride the St Charles streetcar from Canal all the way till the turn around on Carrollton Ave. Metairie is just like any other suburb in an other city. After dark I'd take a cab if you venture a good distance away from your hotel.

We are staying one night before (Drury) and one night after (somewhere near the Airport with free shuttle). I'll be depressed after the cruise, but at least I've got an extra day of vacation before it's back to life. :(