staggering boarding times, FTTF

bamagirl14

I received an email from Carnival yesterday re: my upcoming cruise March 27th. When I did online registration I picked 10:30 - 11 boarding time. I also have FTTF. The email was very confusing. It stated FTTF and Platinum guest can board at their leisure on or after their selected boarding time. What's confusing is it also stated that regardless of your boarding time selected, boarding will not begin until promptly 12:30 pm. What??? So, does this mean, we get in line between 10;30 - 11 and wait until 12:30 to board???

So confusing! I dont think I like this new staggering times.

I think the confusion is between check in time and boarding time.

Carnival is trying to have people come to check in at different times so there are shorter check in lines.

The email says that actual boarding onto the ship won't start until 12:30PM. That may or may not be accurately followed but is not unusual for folks to check in early but then have to wait to actually start boarding the ship.

Carnival has always said that boarding starts after 12:30pm. Regardless, they start as soon as the ship is cleared. That is usually by 11 AM or shortly after. If it's a monthly crew immigration check day, though, it can be later (which I suspect is why they announce 12:30 as their standard boarding time).

The staggered time assignment is the time you are allowed to enter the building to check in.

FTTF and Platinum/Diamond guests can enter any time, regardless of their assigned time slot.

I hope this clears up your questions.

Edited by gtalum

I received an email from Carnival yesterday re: my upcoming cruise March 27th. When I did online registration I picked 10:30 - 11 boarding time. I also have FTTF. The email was very confusing. It stated FTTF and Platinum guest can board at their leisure on or after their selected boarding time. What's confusing is it also stated that regardless of your boarding time selected, boarding will not begin until promptly 12:30 pm. What??? So, does this mean, we get in line between 10;30 - 11 and wait until 12:30 to board???

The time that you picked online if what time you can enter the terminal building. Since you have FTTF this does not apply to you. You can enter the terminal whenever you like. The boarding time at 12:30 is what time you can start boarding the ship. Most of the time they start boarding around 11 - 11:30 depending on when they receive clearance.

ok, thank you. I was on the Dream same time last year with FTTF and actually boarded the ship around 10:45. This is the reason I was thrown off and confused. Does this mean that we will still skip the long lines when checking in and boarding with FTTF? In other words, I guess my question is, If I dont make it to the port until 11 ish, will I then be taken to the FTTF lines like last year?

As others have said, you are confusing CHECK IN TIME with BOARDING TIME.

You can CHECK IN according to your chosen check in time (or as soon as the terminal doors open if you have priority/FTTF).

You will BOARD only when the start the boarding process which by the email you received begins at 12:30 (and is customary, although sometime earlier if things go well).

The implementation of staggered CHECK IN has no impact on when BOARDING commences. It simply attempts to mediate the glut of persons swamping the terminal between the time the terminals doors open and the time boarding starts.

Once there is better comprehension of the difference between CHECK IN time and BOARDING time, it will all make sense.

ok, thank you. I was on the Dream same time last year with FTTF and actually boarded the ship around 10:45. This is the reason I was thrown off and confused. Does this mean that we will still skip the long lines when checking in and boarding with FTTF? In other words, I guess my question is, If I dont make it to the port until 11 ish, will I then be taken to the FTTF lines like last year?

Yes, you will still skip the long lines and taken to the FTTF area.

Regardless of when you arrive, you will always be directed to the FTTF/priority line if you have it. You will move quicker through the check-in process and get to sit down in a seat sooner than everyone else going through the general check in process.

I can understand the confusion if your prior sailing was able to board earlier while you current one may not. With an email stating "promptly at 12:30" there may be a reason (schedule maintenance, inspection, etc) but if none of the above are actually happening boarding could start sooner than 12:30.

It's for these reasons that if you arrive at the terminal early, there is always the possibility boarding could be later than customary and you will have to wait longer than expected (even with FTTF).

This is interesting - and does present a confusion not discussed here yet. I had assumed that by having FTF one automatically could arrive, check in and board as early as desired. Apparently that is not the case.

I have not yet completed my on-line check in. Where does one choose their desired boarding time? My plan has been to be early on board and first in the Frog.

Thanks

Edited by Hobbsey

This is interesting - and does present a confusion not discussed here yet. I had assumed that by having FTF one automatically could arrive, check in and board as early as desired. Apparently that is not the case.

I have not yet completed my on-line check in. Where does one choose their desired boarding time? My plan has been to be early on board and first in the Frog.

Thanks

Arrive and check in - yes. Board - no. FTTF will board after the ship clears and new passengers are allowed to board AND weddings, diamond and platinum will board BEFORE FTTF. Your chances of being first in the Frog with FTTF are pretty much zero. You choose your boarding time when you do your online checking in. If you have FTTF it doesn't matter what time you pick.

Edited by kona_wahine

Thanks

For now, the staggered check in time only applies to cruises from Galveston, New Orleans, and Miami. If your cruise is not sailing from one of those ports you will not select a time. If you are sailing from one of those ports, you will select a time during your online check in. The earliest time is 10:00AM. They may roll this out to other ports and you will receive and email if they do. If you have FTTF you have to choose a time online but you can arrive at any time throughout the day.

Edited by cruiser fanatic

You can not board until the previous cruisers have debarked the ship. The order of boarding is Weddings, Diamond, Platinum, Suite/FTTF. So, NO, you can not board as early as desired even with FTTF.

You can not board until the previous cruisers have debarked the ship. The order of boarding is Weddings, Diamond, Platinum, Suite/FTTF. So, NO, you can not board as early as desired even with FTTF.

As much as I appreciate your willingness to help, please look at my signature. I understand how ship turn arounds and boards times work.

Thanks

For now, the staggered check in time only applies to cruises from Galveston, New Orleans, and Miami. If your cruise is not sailing from one of those ports you will not select a time. If you are sailing from one of those ports, you will select a time during your online check in. The earliest time is 10:00AM. They may roll this out to other ports and you will receive and email if they do. If you have FTTF you have to choose a time online but you can arrive at any time throughout the day.

Ahh, I see, it's a test program just for certain ports. I'm cruising from Port Canaveral, so it does not affect me - yet.

Thanks

Arrive and check in - yes. Board - no. FTTF will board after the ship clears and new passengers are allowed to board AND weddings, diamond and platinum will board BEFORE FTTF. Your chances of being first in the Frog with FTTF are pretty much zero. You choose your boarding time when you do your online checking in. If you have FTTF it doesn't matter what time you pick.

Thanks for the update - yeah, does seem slim to none of getting my pic posted by Heald. LOL.

I also now understand that the staggered check in idea is a test in just a few ports (for now). However, in those ports it does appear that FTF will not let you board earlier than your selected boarding time based on the OP's information.

I can see how this may affect their sales of this program since boarding early and having the cabin ready is its biggest selling point.

Did your letter saying promptly at 12:30 pm? The reason I ask is we received a letter like yours for our Magic March 20 cruise out of Galveston. But our letter said boarding would be at "approximately" 12:30 pm.

Our letter also said if you have FTTF you need to pick a time window but are allowed to come at your leisure. Nothing was said about needing to come after that time window.

Thanks for the update - yeah, does seem slim to none of getting my pic posted by Heald. LOL.

I also now understand that the staggered check in idea is a test in just a few ports (for now). However, in those ports it does appear that FTF will not let you board earlier than your selected boarding time based on the OP's information.

I can see how this may affect their sales of this program since boarding early and having the cabin ready is its biggest selling point.

The time that you select online is your "Check in time" not your "boarding time". Boarding time can differ from sailing to sailing based on clearance from CBP. If you have FTTF you can select any time online but arrive whenever you like.

Did your letter saying promptly at 12:30 pm? The reason I ask is we received a letter like yours for our Magic March 20 cruise out of Galveston. But our letter said boarding would be at "approximately" 12:30 pm.

Our letter also said if you have FTTF you need to pick a time window but are allowed to come at your leisure. Nothing was said about needing to come after that time window.

We are also on the March 27 sailing of the Dream and received the email yesterday. It says boarding is scheduled to begin at "approximately 12:30 PM.

It also states "Guests who are part of our Priority Program, have purchased Carnival transfers or Faster to the Fun must still select a window online so we can prepare onboard, but are invited to come at their leisure". So FTTF still picks a time for check in but can show up to the terminal whenever they want either right at the time they selected or earlier or later.

We are also on the March 27 sailing of the Dream and received the email yesterday. It says boarding is scheduled to begin at "approximately 12:30 PM.

It also states "Guests who are part of our Priority Program, have purchased Carnival transfers or Faster to the Fun must still select a window online so we can prepare onboard, but are invited to come at their leisure". So FTTF still picks a time for check in but can show up to the terminal whenever they want either right at the time they selected or earlier or later.

So from what you said this appears to be a standard letter they are sending out to the ports with staggered check-in, not a cruise specific letter. By that I mean they are not telling you that your cruise has something special that will be slowing down the boarding (like an inspection, maintenance, ect.) So I would assume things will be normal. So most times boarding itself starts before the 12:30 pm time, unless of course the ship is delayed in getting in. That happened to us 1 time on the Dream when the ship had to make a medical emergency detour and arrived a couple hours late. Amazingly we still started boarding about 12:30pm. The crew really did a fast turn around.

So from what you said this appears to be a standard letter they are sending out to the ports with staggered check-in, not a cruise specific letter. By that I mean they are not telling you that your cruise has something special that will be slowing down the boarding (like an inspection, maintenance, ect.) So I would assume things will be normal. So most times boarding itself starts before the 12:30 pm time, unless of course the ship is delayed in getting in. That happened to us 1 time on the Dream when the ship had to make a medical emergency detour and arrived a couple hours late. Amazingly we still started boarding about 12:30pm. The crew really did a fast turn around.

The top of the email had our cruise ship name and date but the rest of the letter was not cruise specific. So I think they use the same letter for all ports that are using the staggered check in. So I don't think the 12:30 time was something special for us either. We had received somewhat the same email when they decided to implement the staggered check in at the New Orleans port. If I remember correctly is stated the 12:30 boarding time also.

We chose our check in time a couple months ago and just went ahead and picked 1-1:30 hoping to just be able to check in and go right on board.

That is fast!

As much as I appreciate your willingness to help, please look at my signature. I understand how ship turn arounds and boards times work.

Thanks

Interesting response because if one reads your prior post (quoted below) you seem to indicate you do not actually understand the difference in checking in and being allowed to board - as if you can always board immediately.

Posted for reference:

Thanks

Edited by lizardhowson

Interesting response because if one reads your prior post (quoted below) you seem to indicate you do not actually understand the difference in checking in and being allowed to board as if you can always board immediately..

Posted for reference:

No, you are misreading my post. I understand one may not board a ship until it is cleared to do so and that one may check in before the ship is cleared.

The original post seemed to indicate that even if one had FTTF one must wait to check in and/or board based on a designated time, not earlier. So, it looked to me that if one was assigned a 1PM boarding time, even if one had FTTF, one could not arrive and board earlier.