Are the Mayan Ruins MUST DO?

slyone14

So, I have a question, I will be in Cozumel in September on a cruise by myself. I have never seen the mayan ruins and it does interest me. I am a history buff, so I know I will enjoy it. Do you feel the Ruins offered here are must dos and worth the money? My friends who have gone on cruises before say its honestly kinda boring. The ruins im looking at are the Coba ruins, a 8 hour RCCL excursion.

The reason I ask is because, again, I am going solo. I am a 35 year old male, who does enjoy seeing the sites, but I do enjoy partying and the beach also. I am thinking of ditching the ruins and doing the Cozumel Bar hop, I hear sooo much about. Everyone says how amazing it is. But, im confused. Is this tour more enjoyable for me?

Which route should I go? Is there one that would be better for a solo cruiser? Any help would be appreciated

So, I have a question, I will be in Cozumel in September on a cruise by myself. I have never seen the mayan ruins and it does interest me. I am a history buff, so I know I will enjoy it. Do you feel the Ruins offered here are must dos and worth the money? My friends who have gone on cruises before say its honestly kinda boring. The ruins im looking at are the Coba ruins, a 8 hour RCCL excursion.

The reason I ask is because, again, I am going solo. I am a 35 year old male, who does enjoy seeing the sites, but I do enjoy partying and the beach also. I am thinking of ditching the ruins and doing the Cozumel Bar hop, I hear sooo much about. Everyone says how amazing it is. But, im confused. Is this tour more enjoyable for me?

Which route should I go? Is there one that would be better for a solo cruiser? Any help would be appreciated

You've answered your question(highlighted in red).

Save the ruins for when you are on a mainland vacation or make a stop closer to them. Of your 8 hour excursion very little is spent at the ruins - most of your day is spent getting to & from.

You've answered your question(highlighted in red).

Right, but that's why im confused because I can party on the ship. I want to make sure im not missing something that is a must do, that's all. As a history buff, I was wondering.

Save the ruins for when you are on a mainland vacation or make a stop closer to them. Of your 8 hour excursion very little is spent at the ruins - most of your day is spent getting to & from.

That's what I keep hearing, so I think I will wait. Im just trying to find a fun, excursion where I can have a blast, meet people, mingle, and get my money worth. Im seeing how the runes are not worth $120. Is there anything in Cozumel, excursion wise, that is a MUST Do im missing?

Right, but that's why im confused because I can party on the ship. I want to make sure im not missing something that is a must do, that's all. As a history buff, I was wondering.

That's what I keep hearing, so I think I will wait. Im just trying to find a fun, excursion where I can have a blast, meet people, mingle, and get my money worth. Im seeing how the runes are not worth $120. Is there anything in Cozumel, excursion wise, that is a MUST Do im missing?

Where else are you headed? Belize, for example has excellent ruins. One set is within an hour of the tender pier. MUST DOs in Cozumel are west side beaches, fresh Yucatan style seafood, east side beaches. Thus the Bar Hop is THE excursion for you:D

Where else are you headed? Belize, for example has excellent ruins. One set is within an hour of the tender pier. MUST DOs in Cozumel are west side beaches, fresh Yucatan style seafood, east side beaches. Thus the Bar Hop is THE excursion for you:D

Hmmm, you sold me!! Anyways, my other stops are Labadee Haiti, plan to just relax on the beach and drink and swim, Falmouth, Jam; I booked the duns falls and resort excursion here (excited about this), Grand Cayman (doing a wreck and reef snorkel trip), and finally Cozumel (Going to do the Bar hop now =)..) So its a wide variety of fun things I am planning. Did not want to do all the same things. I just saw a sea turtle excursion with RCCl, but I am already doing snorkeling/diving so that's two similar activities.

I agree, I think ill save the ruins for when I goto Belize or Costa Maya, where there isn't as much to do in Cozumel, plus ill be a lot closer to the Ruins it seems.

• 2 weeks later...
Hmmm, you sold me!! Anyways, my other stops are Labadee Haiti, plan to just relax on the beach and drink and swim, Falmouth, Jam; I booked the duns falls and resort excursion here (excited about this), Grand Cayman (doing a wreck and reef snorkel trip), and finally Cozumel (Going to do the Bar hop now =)..) So its a wide variety of fun things I am planning. Did not want to do all the same things. I just saw a sea turtle excursion with RCCl, but I am already doing snorkeling/diving so that's two similar activities.

I agree, I think ill save the ruins for when I goto Belize or Costa Maya, where there isn't as much to do in Cozumel, plus ill be a lot closer to the Ruins it seems.

I think you've made the right decision and going in Costa Maya or Belize on a future cruise or to Tulum, Coba or Chichen on a land stay is a much better idea than trying to do it from Coz. The Bar Hop is a blast!!