Manhattan Terminal Valet Service

leaj

Hi, forgive me if it was easy to find the answer to this, but I saw mention of a valet service that picks the car up at the pier and secures it for the duration of the cruise, but no one wrote (that I saw) the name of the company. We are sailing the Breakaway in May and are looking at parking options (NJ) or doing this. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

We wonder why you ask the question. We assume your cruise is a short 7 day voyage. For that period of time, why not just park your car right at the port. The Manhattan cruise terminal has excellent, secure parking right at the site (it is on the roof of an adjacent building. The parking is expensive but very convenient. When you return you get off the ship, grab your luggage, and wheel it right over to your car. Within minutes you are on your way home. Since it is a self park facility, nobody is driving your car but you....which is something we appreciate in NYC where not all car jockeys are the best.

However, if you do want a valet service here is the link:

http://www.manhattancruiseparking.com/?gclid=CLzA_7PVs8sCFdgRgQodhH4DfQ

But we reiterate, on a short cruise (no more than 2 weeks) we find it more expedient to just park right at the cruise terminal.

Hank

Be very wary of the valet services at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal that have popped up recently. Many of the "reviews" of them are clearly phony...likely written by company owners or employees.

Do you want to turn your car over to someone who will be taking it to some unknown location? You don't know where your car is being parked.

Much easier to park at the pier. Or, if you want to save a few dollars and are driving via NJ, parking at the NY Waterway Port Imperial ferry terminal garage in Weehawken, taking the ferry across the river and then walking or taking a taxi the half mile to the cruise terminal.

Edited by njhorseman

Take a look at the east coast departures board. There are several recommendations there.

If you are using a hotel for the night before, there are a couple of hotels on the NJ side that offer stay/park/cruise packages with transportation to the port.

Just thought we would add a few strategies we have used in the past. What we do does depend on the length of the cruise. Parking at the terminal for 7 days usually costs about $280 and its hard to beat the convenience. Personally, we would not trust any of valet services unless we had a few references from others who have used the service. On a couple of longer cruises I have found a nearby garage who gave me a decent deal, but that meant dropping DW and my luggage, driving many blocks to a garage or lot, and then walking back to the port. And of course it was the same situation on return. The daily port charge of $40 is expensive, but actually pretty normal in Manhattan.

When we take really long cruises (we have done 40+ days out of NYC) our normal method is to use one-way rental cars. We rent a car at home, drive to the port, drop DW and luggage, and then I drive a few blocks to the rental car office and drop the car. The savings with rental cars can be hundreds of dollars on a long cruise :).

Hank