Ever order more than one at speciality restaurant?

flagger

I think it's just assumed that diners in the specialty restaurants will only receive one of each course.

Dinner there is so carefully choreographed and timed and takes at least 3 hours. One might embarrass oneself by asking for more than one of anything...

I must tell a cute story. Last June four of us dined on the Infinity S.S. Restaurant and when we picked out appetizers the other couple and I picked the goat cheese souffle. My DH picked something else. When the waiter brought our appetizers he also bought a goat cheese souffle for my DH because he told my DH that he would have been very sorry he did not at least try the souffle. We all had to laugh because there was my DH eating two appetizers. So yes it can be done.:D By the way the goat cheese souffle is to die for.

Marilyn

I think it's just assumed that diners in the specialty restaurants will only receive one of each course.

Dinner there is so carefully choreographed and timed and takes at least 3 hours. One might embarrass oneself by asking for more than one of anything...

I'm a big guy, and I can't imagine anyone being able to hold more than what they serve. I have a huge appetite and can barely hold one of each course. In addition to the courses, they also serve an amuse bouche, sometimes a second little treat if you're in for a repeat visit during your cruise, and they top it all off with a surprise tower of truffles and petit fours.

Allen

Has anyone ever ordered more than on appetizer or entree at one of the speciality restaurants on the M-Class ships? Maybe two desserts? Is it even possible like in the main dining room?
We didn't try to do so the first time we ate in one of the specialty restaurants.

After the first time, we would have never considering trying to eat any more than we knew were going to be served, so except for hearing it here, it's likely we'd never have found out!

Not only would I not order more than one choice in each course, but I never finish what is on each plate. I cold not stand being too full for dessert!

In the main dining room, though, I will order two appetizers sometimes, especially if I don't find an entree that appeals to me. I can never finish an entire meal in that dining room, either. DH and I will order a (second) meal to share between us, if we both feel like trying it. Usually it is the pasta they offer, as neither of us want pasta as an entire dinner, but as a side dish.

We ate in the SS United States on Infinity several times during our last cruise. One evening, my husband, who is a big meat fan, couldn't decide between the lamb and the beef, on asking for the waiters recommendation, he was immediately offered both. One very happy DH :) if not slightly full !!

I will leave my possible embarrassment to my own judgment. As with all information given out on these boards there is more than one answer. We plan on eating in the SS United States twice. I think I will ask for a second appetizer or entree. The worst they can tell me is no.

The desserts frankly don't blow my skirt up as I found the Chocolate Souffle last time not to my liking. I would rather have Mohr Em Hend every night than anything else.

I will leave my possible embarrassment to my own judgment. As with all information given out on these boards there is more than one answer. We plan on eating in the SS United States twice. I think I will ask for a second appetizer or entree. The worst they can tell me is no.

The desserts frankly don't blow my skirt up as I found the Chocolate Souffle last time not to my liking. I would rather have Mohr Em Hend every night than anything else.

should not be hard to do (embarrass yourself):D

Phil

Why did you ask?
I am sorry but who are you to question a reason for a post? Of 10 people who responded, three actually answered the question. If I want to order one entree or appetizer or all of them, that is MY BUSINESS. I wanted to ascertain if anyone had done it and if it was possible. As typical, (the majority of) people here have to put in their two cents without actually answering the question.

Flagger: you seem to have made up your mind before you even asked the question. So I will repeat Ma Bell's question in a new way. Why do you ask in the first place if you already know what you are going to do?
Wrong assumption. My mind has NOT been made up. I asked to know if it was possible and if anyone has done it. People have no problem ordering two of everything in the main dining room, so as with everything it does not hurt to ask when one is paying a premium.

Until this post I could understand why you asked. This just made it seem as if you already knew what you were going to do and were just being a wise guy. Sorry Flagger, I didn't mean to get you all in a huff.:)

We've never asked because there is such a lot of food to begin with it's hard to eat what's there. If it's just you and your wife I'm sure she won't mind just sitting there while you eat multiple courses. I have seen both things happen. #1 the waiter politely telling someone it's only one per person. #2 agreeing to bring someone more than one of the same course where everyone else had to sit and wait for them to finish. As you said you can try and the worst they can say is no.

Seriously, Flagger, if you're dining in the Specialty Restaurant and have paid your $30 for the stated appetizer, soup, OR salad, entree and dessert and you ask for more food than that which you were paying for, would you still refuse to tip, even though you requested and received extra food and service?

Allen

Until this post I could understand why you asked. This just made it seem as if you already knew what you were going to do and were just being a wise guy. Sorry Flagger, I didn't mean to get you all in a huff.:)

We've never asked because there is such a lot of food to begin with it's hard to eat what's there. If it's just you and your wife I'm sure she won't mind just sitting there while you eat multiple courses. I have seen both things happen. #1 the waiter politely telling someone it's only one per person. #2 agreeing to bring someone more than one of the same course where everyone else had to sit and wait for them to finish. As you said you can try and the worst they can say is no.

Actually I had not made up my mind much less have I made up my mind. I think is much more different than I will. Is it any different than sitting at a table of eight or ten waiting for someone to finish their second appetizer? I remember my wife not being able to decide and just asking for "just a taste" in the main dining room and being brought an entire appetizer or entree. So I thought of the question about doing it in the Specialty Restaurants. IF it was possible, IF anyone had done it and WHAT was the response.

Seriously' date=' Flagger, if you're dining in the Specialty Restaurant and have paid your $30 for the stated appetizer, soup, OR salad, entree and dessert and you ask for more food than that which you were paying for, would you still refuse to tip, even though you requested and received extra food and service?

Allen[/quote']The consensus both on this boards and as stated on the menu and by several employees of the specialty restaurant, the service charge includes compensation for the workers in said restaurants. Last time when we dined in the SS United States, we only paid the service charge per person and nothing more. I am looking forward to my perk of being able to book in advance.

I can't imagine anyone even asking this question. I do think 2 appitizers may not be out of the question, but would anyone go to "Ruth Chris'" and ask for 2 entrees? Can you get two in the specialty restaurants? I think it would dpend on the mood of your servcer or it appears that way, but would I or DH ask for two NO WAY!!?? Eating in the specialty restaurants is a production and experience, not just a great meal. I don't quite think it takes 3 hours, but do allow at least 2, it is a time to totally relax, be pampered and enjoy a very fine evening. NMnita

Archived