Some Getaway questions...

vcgibson

Hi All :) Hoping you can help...

We are a family of 5 (3 girls age 12, 11, 9) on the Getaway Nov 27th 2016 and wondering a few things...

The Splash academy divides the kids up by age group and unfortunately my 9 yr old falls into a different group apart from her sisters. I know she won't like that :( We are looking forward to a family vacation so don't *need* to send the kids to the kids club, however -- if it is something fun for them, and they want to do it, great! :) I have heard that there are times that they DO in fact group all of the kids (different age groups) together ... My question is -- do you know the designated times for this? And how often they do this? We would probably plan to send them when they can all be together...

Entertainment onboard --- Is there anything that the kids are NOT allowed to do? I understand some of the shows may be a little risqué but we, as parents, would like to make that determination as to what is and isn't appropriate for our children. And I wouldn't want them to miss out on something spectacular just because there is some bad language... (they know right from wrong so doesn't bother us)...

Thanks!! :)

I was on in 2014, with my 3 kids (13, 10, and 8). They were in 3 different clubs, they all went the first night and never went back. But that was my kids, so don't let that dissuade you. They do put those 2 ages groups together, but not sure how often. My 8 year old was in the younger group, was not allowed to move up, and didn't like it. However, there is a ton of stuff to do m, even w/o the clubs. And I was there as a family vacation (well without hubby, he couldn't get away) so was not looking for no kid time. However, I got comfortable with my 13 or 10 year old going alone or with my 8 year old to an activity (the ropes course, mini golf, etc) and then meeting back up. There were movies, bingo, cake decorating, dance classes, music, etc. the kids were allowed everywhere, we did the early, family friendly comedy and howl at the moon shows. They also enjoyed the sports court, we didn't even get everything done that we planned on. I am sure untouched will have a great time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was on in 2014, with my 3 kids (13, 10, and 8). They were in 3 different clubs, they all went the first night and never went back. But that was my kids, so don't let that dissuade you. They do put those 2 ages groups together, but not sure how often. My 8 year old was in the younger group, was not allowed to move up, and didn't like it. However, there is a ton of stuff to do m, even w/o the clubs. And I was there as a family vacation (well without hubby, he couldn't get away) so was not looking for no kid time. However, I got comfortable with my 13 or 10 year old going alone or with my 8 year old to an activity (the ropes course, mini golf, etc) and then meeting back up. There were movies, bingo, cake decorating, dance classes, music, etc. the kids were allowed everywhere, we did the early, family friendly comedy and howl at the moon shows. They also enjoyed the sports court, we didn't even get everything done that we planned on. I am sure untouched will have a great time!

Curious, are those activities you mentioned free (besides Bingo)? Mine doesn't really like Kids Clubs in general either so hoping there will be enough to do.

Each evening there are "game shows" in the Atrium. All ages welcome and very entertaining. There are the NCL variations of Minute to Win It ( 55 stay alive I think)

Family Fued and some others.

The Atrium

Also has meet the magicians, there are various " meet the" whomever events like the dancers, cast of Legally Blonde( which won't be there)

They will have a blast.

We are going in September again- can't wait!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks for your help!!!

We like to give our kids a little bit of freedom for short periods of time (with rules set in place and clear meetup spots) ... is it *normal* (or frowned upon? Or not allowed?) for people to allow kids 12, 11, 9 (sticking together) to go places on this ship without parents?

Yes, I think it's typical. I did the same, my kids, like yours, are rule followers and polite, I had zero issues having them do things on their own. My son, in particular, enjoyed the sports deck, mini golf, and ropes, and buffet on his own at different points. My daughters would also do things on their own at certain points, it was not a problem

And to answer the person above, cake decorating and the arcade were extra charges, but the movies, etc were not. There are plenty of included activities to keep everyone busy

Thanks for your help!!!

We like to give our kids a little bit of freedom for short periods of time (with rules set in place and clear meetup spots) ... is it *normal* (or frowned upon? Or not allowed?) for people to allow kids 12, 11, 9 (sticking together) to go places on this ship without parents?

Completely normal. As a parent, you'll know if you can trust them to stick together, and if they can handle it or not. We let our 11 year old son wander on his own, with clear guidelines and meetup spots, and occasionally we'd spy on him just to be sure. The freedom made him proud, confident, and gave him an opportunity to act more grown up than he usually feels. This obviously varies a lot based on the kids and how they behave. I'm assuming you leave the 3 of them home alone sometimes, and to wander around places alone at home, or you probably wouldn't be trusting them to be on their own on the ship.

I can't tell if you are experienced cruisers, or if this is your first time on Norwegian. One thing I would advise is that only you know how responsible your children are with money. I think you can put restrictions on their cards on what they can buy and I think you can put a set about of money on their cards?

I think it's great that you trust your kids and give them the freedom. They will love it. But you may want to give them privileges if you want them to be able to get a Coke, for example. But not necessarily buying things in the gift shop or spending in the arcade.

Last cruise I took my kids were 7 and 5 so obviously we didn't put any charging privileges at all on their cards, but others with more experience can chime in as to what kind of restrictions or limited powers you can put on them.

I can't tell if you are experienced cruisers, or if this is your first time on Norwegian. One thing I would advise is that only you know how responsible your children are with money. I think you can put restrictions on their cards on what they can buy and I think you can put a set about of money on their cards?

I think it's great that you trust your kids and give them the freedom. They will love it. But you may want to give them privileges if you want them to be able to get a Coke, for example. But not necessarily buying things in the gift shop or spending in the arcade.

Last cruise I took my kids were 7 and 5 so obviously we didn't put any charging privileges at all on their cards, but others with more experience can chime in as to what kind of restrictions or limited powers you can put on them.

I don't think you can put restrictions, but just give them a limit. My kids always had charging privileges starting around 8/9, and never got to their limits ($40?). If they went over, they knew they would be in trouble (and of course pay me back). You can access your account easily, so no surprises.

Since the topic is just off the Getaway. Is NCL using 1 or 2 terminals for the Getaway embarkation now? Since it works well with the Escape, I didn't know if they implemented it on Getaway too. It makes a difference when you're traveling with a solo newbie. We'd rather not have them have to register and board by themselves in a different terminal, unless absolutely necessary. If they're using both B and C, We assume even decks in one and odd decks in another.

Edited by CruisinHarvey

My son only spent a short time in the kid's club. He liked it but there was just so much more for him to do. We are leaving again on Sunday and this time he has a friend on board (he is 10 and is friend is 9, so they are split). It will be interesting to see what they do.

Most of the shows (expect Illusionarium) bored him last time. Again, they weren't bad, he just wanted to be doing other things.

The pool deck and slides were number one. But he equally loved the upper decks with the trampoline, spider climb, ropes course (okay actually that one scared him but I loved it, lol), mini golf, and then up to the basketball courts. They also have ping pong and in other areas they have giant chess. We did all of that.

The arcade costs money and was lame so we just looked. The O'Shehann's area has mini bowling, arcade basketball, darts, and pool tables. All for a rather steep fee. But he loved these so I was glad I budgeted a bit for it. I think bowling was $5 per person.

We watched and did a few atrium shows and trivia's.

One thing I rarely see mentioned, kinda hidden but near the atrium is a library with all kinds of board games and it's VERY quiet. While playing board games was not my cup of tea, they made my 9 year old so happy that I enjoyed spending that quiet time with him.

Edited by Mirrasi

Thanks :) DH and I went on the Norwegian Wind about 17 yrs ago. This is our first cruise as a family so I really wasn't sure. I am hoping that we will feel safe enough leaving them in the room (seeing as the oldest is 12) to go out late at night for a short period as well. (with strict instructions to open the door for nobody but us)...

we were on the getaway Feb 21-28. my kids are 5 & 6 so they couldn't be together @ the kids club. however twice a day (am/pm) they had 1 hr free play where they could be together. usually from 9-10 am and 2-3 pm.

we were on the getaway Feb 21-28. my kids are 5 & 6 so they couldn't be together @ the kids club. however twice a day (am/pm) they had 1 hr free play where they could be together. usually from 9-10 am and 2-3 pm.

Excellent! Thanks so much!

I don't have small children anymore, but we'd love to take a cruise with the kids and grandkids. I'm wondering how they know the ages of the kids. Can you say your kids are 6 and 7 so they can be together? This might determine our future cruise with the grandkids :)

Since the topic is just off the Getaway. Is NCL using 1 or 2 terminals for the Getaway embarkation now? Since it works well with the Escape, I didn't know if they implemented it on Getaway too. It makes a difference when you're traveling with a solo newbie. We'd rather not have them have to register and board by themselves in a different terminal, unless absolutely necessary. If they're using both B and C, We assume even decks in one and odd decks in another.

You're correct. When we were on the Getaway in August, it was even decks in B and odd decks in C. So yes...two terminals!

Well my kids had passports, so there was no fudging their ages and you would have to lie at time of booking and have a bc to prove it. It frustrates me sometimes with this, I know, my issue. My kids might have a preference, but if the rules are that they can't be together, I just explain that's the rule and we will follow it. If that meant they didn't want to be in the kids club, then they wouldn't use the kids club. Ncl was strict on our sailing, my 8 year old did not like being with 6 year olds, we asked, they said no. No big deal, she didn't use the kids club.

I don't have small children anymore, but we'd love to take a cruise with the kids and grandkids. I'm wondering how they know the ages of the kids. Can you say your kids are 6 and 7 so they can be together? This might determine our future cruise with the grandkids :)

No. They have to have birth certificates or passports to get on. Unfortunately you can't get around be the age.

Sure, as long as you use fake birth certificates or passports when you check them in at the port that match the fake dates of birth. I know a guy who knows a guy who can get you these if you have enough money. It ain't cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app