Advice 25ppl cruising for Sweet 16 on Gem

Seadog62

Hi fellow cruisers! I will be going on the Gem at the end of July with a group of 25 people for my twin girls Sweet 16 (we figured this would be way less stressful and expensive than paying for a 5 hour party at a banquet hall!). Each of our three kids, twin 16 yo girls and a 15 yo boy, are bringing 2 friends each. In addition there are assorted family members also sailing. In total there will be :

(1) 10 yo

(3) 15 yo

(7) 16 yo

(1) 17 yo

(13) adults ranging in age from 24 thru 54

Any advice to make this enjoyable for all and minimize my stress (I'm the mother of the birthday girls)? I'm getting a little anxious about maintaining a fine line between letting them have fun and still providing responsible supervision. They are all good kids but I don't want to get too lax and have them disrupt fellow cruisers. I am also stressing about trying to coordinate shore excursions...I realize there is no way all 25 people will want to do the exact same things but I will not allow any of the kids to go off on their own without at least one adult to accompany them.

Any sage advice? All of our cabins are currently near each other on deck 5, family oceanviews. We would love to upgrade to balcony if possible but so far the price to upgrade is still high.

Edited by Seadog62
mistype

Hi fellow cruisers! I will be going on the Gem at the end of July with a group of 25 people for my twin girls Sweet 16 (we figured this would be way less stressful and expensive than paying for a 5 hour party at a banquet hall!). Each of our three kids, twin 16 yo girls and a 15 yo boy, are bringing 2 friends each. In addition there are assorted family members also sailing. In total there will be :

(1) 10 yo

(3) 15 yo

(7) 16 yo

(1) 17 yo

Any advice to make this enjoyable for all and minimize my stress (I'm the mother of the birthday girls)?

The 15-17 year olds can all take part in the teen club "Entourage." There is a kids club also for the 10 yo.

There are only so many public areas. We ran into our teens by the pool, sports deck, buffet, etc. all of the time. They knew that if we saw them misbehaving, they'd be by our side for the rest of the cruise. They traveled in packs, with their new found friends, so hard to miss.

You may already know about this- but figured it'd be worth saying since it could be the factor of someone being left behind! Make sure you have the Parent/Guardian Release Forms (fully filled out and copies of the parent's ID cards) for each of the kids who you are not the legal guardian of.

You may already know about this- but figured it'd be worth saying since it could be the factor of someone being left behind! Make sure you have the Parent/Guardian Release Forms (fully filled out and copies of the parent's ID cards) for each of the kids who you are not the legal guardian of.

Thnak you Lunaxmar! I have them printed out, just need them completed.

(1) 10 yo

(3) 15 yo

(7) 16 yo

(1) 17 yo

Any advice to make this enjoyable for all and minimize my stress (I'm the mother of the birthday girls)? I'm getting a little anxious about maintaining a fine line between letting them have fun and still providing responsible supervision. They are all good kids but I don't want to get too lax and have them disrupt fellow cruisers. I am also stressing about trying to coordinate shore excursions...I realize there is no way all 25 people will want to do the exact same things but I will not allow any of the kids to go off on their own without at least one adult to accompany them.

Any sage advice? All of our cabins are currently near each other on deck 5, family oceanviews. We would love to upgrade to balcony if possible but so far the price to upgrade is still high.

What dates are you sailing.:rolleyes:

Was on the Adventure out of San Juan last summer and there were many girls onboard celebrating their Sweet 16. I must say that these kids seemed to be all over the ship yet we never observed any bad behaviour. I would guess that you would not be taking these kids if they were behaviour problems so I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. And the other poster is correct. The ship may seem large but you will always be bumping into some of them and observing behaviour without seeming to. We took our 2 granddaughters on cruises up to their late teens...very social girls, but never a problem.

I sailed this past summer with my boys (13 and 17.5) and three of my older son's best friends. The older kids were pretty much self sufficient. They never bothered with any teen clubs, but they did try out a couple of teen only events (like teen flowrider).

They loved having food available all the time, the girls enjoyed the gym, they loved laying in the sun relaxing. We had dinner each night together and often they would split off for one thing or another. I actually did the 70s dance party with 2 of them while the others were off trying something else.

I did the excursions with them (we did swimming with the stingrays in GC and went to Mr. Sanchos in Cozumel). Being just under 18, they still couldn't legally drink in Mexico, but I knew that they'd probably not have issues getting alcohol so I wanted to be sure I supervised them off the ship.

We all had a great time and it was something I don't think any of them will ever forget.

In looking at this group again......I have to say, I feel bad for the only 10 year old. I hope older kids will allow the 10 year old to hang out with them. Otherwise he/she will be stuck by themselves or ??

We went on a family cruise and my son is 11. While he was fine doing stuff on his own, we also did a lot with him. It seems like the older kids all have friends around but the 10 year old might be a little bummed.

who knows, maybe I hope am wrong.

Isn't this a port Canaveral run?

If so the ports are just so so at best so here goes....

PC. Take the shuttle to the beach and be done with it. Adults can go at their leisure. Kids with some supervision. It will take you to the beach and back. I've heard $15 per pax.

Nassau. I would go with the ncl excursion to Atlantis. They give you wrist bands and transport you in vans to the place and back. Get there as early as possible. You can do the beach only or your can do water park and beach. In Nassau with kids and a large group just play it safe and give them a fun day.

Don't listen to posters who will now say to go on your own or get a room at the comfort inn. It's not going to work with a group your size. Also the Atlantis passes sell out so get yours guaranteed by buying thru ncl. It's not worth the savings to try to do it on your own with a large group. Even if it's just a few adults with the kids.....keep it simple and easy....go with the ship.

May I assume not all will want the Atlantis?. If so leave them on the ship or tell them to get a day pass at the British colonial Hilton which is walking distance. I doubt the kids would choose this over the Atlantis though.

I assume you aren't paying for all 25 pax on excursions. If you are remember Atlantis alone will be close to $4000. Nuff said so clear that up beforehand or not. It's your call

The Hilton is approx $75 per

Great stirrup cay..... It's free so just get on the tender

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would do research prior to the cruise with regard to shore excursions (you can research both ship sponsored excursions and private excursions) and send the options to all the children and let them pick which excursion they would like to go on. Send a final list to all the children, just in case some want to change based on who is doing what and then you can talk with the adults and figure out which ones will be going with which group of children.

I would also sit the children down the first day of the cruise and tell them what your and the other parents' expectations are with regard to their behavior and respect for other cruises on the ship, as well as curfew times for them and check in times during the day. I would also explain to them that the ship is like a little city and they should use the same common sense on the ship, as they do at home with regard to other passengers.

I would also make as many dinner reservations prior to your cruise (100 days out in a suite and 90 days out in a non-suite), especially if you want to eat as a group or in large quantities. I don't know the special number you can call, but I'm sure someone will post it and if not, just call the main number and ask for it.

You might also want to sign up the 10 year old with the children's program and she/he might be able to find some kids his/her own age.

Not sure if any of this is of any help.

Isn't this a port Canaveral run?

Yes it is!

I assume you aren't paying for all 25 pax on excursions. If you are remember Atlantis alone will be close to $4000. Nuff said so clear that up beforehand or not. It's your call

We are paying for the 25 ppl all expenses on the cruise including tips but we are not paying for the excursions....mean, aren't we? ;-)

Great stirrup cay..... It's free so just get on the tender

Yeah! Something that is free!!!!!!

Thank you for the advice....super helpful!

]I would do research prior to the cruise with regard to shore excursions (you can research both ship sponsored excursions and private excursions) and send the options to all the children and let them pick which excursion they would like to go on. Send a final list to all the children, just in case some want to change based on who is doing what and then you can talk with the adults and figure out which ones will be going with which group of children.

That was my plan!

I would also sit the children down the first day of the cruise and tell them what your and the other parents' expectations are with regard to their behavior and respect for other cruises on the ship, as well as curfew times for them and check in times during the day. I would also explain to them that the ship is like a little city and they should use the same common sense on the ship, as they do at home with regard to other passengers.

Again, my plan.....you must be my clone!

I would also make as many dinner reservations prior to your cruise (100 days out in a suite and 90 days out in a non-suite), especially if you want to eat as a group or in large quantities. I don't know the special number you can call, but I'm sure someone will post it and if not, just call the main number and ask for it.

We are only planning one group dinner and of course my daughters want the place with the least amount of capacity!!!! We are looking to book the res. as soon as we can.

You might also want to sign up the 10 year old with the children's program and she/he might be able to find some kids his/her own age.

Great suggestion. I'll pass it along to his parents. It may not be needed, he's kinda a mommas boy

Not sure if any of this is of any help.

Extremely helpful. Thanks!

Deck 5 is actually easy access

Quiet for the most park and has fairly inexpensive midship insides and ocean views

Its your call if you want to splurge for balconies and insides directly across but I prefer a lesser priced cabin and saving for excursions etc

This is a great ship even though the itin is just so so

Sent from my iPad using Forums