Private train to Rome

skylight

Having done the train to Rome a few times, I have to ask what is a "private train"?

I can't imagine! I can see a private car or bus, but a train?

How does that work?

It's not really a Private Train. Your Butler will accompany you on the train. In my case, My Butler "Jose" will go with us to Rome. I normally have an Inside Suite, so when Jose goes with us on our excursions, it's like having a Private

(Train) Tour! Try to go with your Butler. It's really wonderful! Thank You Jose!

Having done the train to Rome a few times, I have to ask what is a "private train"?

I can't imagine! I can see a private car or bus, but a train?

How does that work?

It is a train that you book in the excursions on the ship"Rome On Your Own" the same as using a coach shuttle. It drops you at St Peters and you meet back at the station at a certain time to go back to the ship. We have used it on 2 other Europe cruises. The price is more expensive than the normal train of course. Mainly used it as port is far from city and our friends were worried about getting back on time.

Sometimes the ship sells a "On your Own" tour that includes train transportation, and there is also another private company that offers this service during peak season when there are several ships in port. But it does have significant drawbacks:

* It costs a lot more than the regular commuter line with the BIRG pass (12 euro roundtrip, which also includes buses and metro in Rome all day).

* It has only one option for your alighting point in Rome (usually San Pietro), which may or may not be the best option for you -- regular trains stop at 4 or 5 stations around Rome.

* It only runs once in the morning and once in the evening, giving you no choice as to schedule.

* It will NOT wait for you if you should happen to be late, no more so than a regular train would.

So far as I can tell, the ONLY advantages are that you are practically guaranteed a seat (on the regional trains you may have to stand as they are more like a metro, without assigned seats) and that they are not impacted by strikes -- which are actually quite rare despite popular lore.

Edited by cruisemom42