PV hit by storm..no beach..need alternate ideas

IDKaren

We will be in PV end of month. We had planned on going to the Sea Monkey and having drinks and food and letting six year old play on beach. Just on Trip Advisor...massive waves have washed out the beach to a four door drop..sand washed away..all rocky. Anyone have any ideas for a fun place to go by cab and hang out? Don't want to pay for a day pass! Thanks!

Indeed beach at sea monkey is only rocks now. However the beach at Playa los Muertes near the pier is stilll there. Various restaurants like Cuates y Cuetes, La Palapa, Langostines and more still offer their services.

Please however watch your kid when playing near the ocean, waves are and have been extreme high the last few days due to an unusual coldfront. If the red flag is on never go into the ocean!

In case the webcam works I will give it so you can see a part of playa los muertes.

Edited by Ine

Guess we will have to start walking from wherever taxi drops us and see what we find. Little one will not swim...just play in the sand Feel so bad for places that lost beach, palapas etc

We will be in PV end of month. We had planned on going to the Sea Monkey and having drinks and food and letting six year old play on beach. Just on Trip Advisor...massive waves have washed out the beach to a four door drop..sand washed away..all rocky. Anyone have any ideas for a fun place to go by cab and hang out? Don't want to pay for a day pass! Thanks!

Yes too bad about the erosion. There is much more to see around PV but with a little one a beach spot works. As Ine said you will find several places along Los Muertos beach where you can use their chairs and facilities if you buy a drink and a bite. We'd get dropped at the Swell Bar -

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g150793-d1081072-Reviews-Swell_Beach_Bar-Puerto_Vallarta.html#REVIEWS

Check the webcam, it is on again. Sometimes it shows the restaurant on the beach, sometimes the pier: http://www.cuatesycuetes.com/

Let the cab drop you at the pier at Las Muertos, you can there decide to walk either to the right of the left, both sides have restaurants on the beach.

Edited by Ine

Thanks all! We have been there several times on cruises and staying in hotels...unfortunately most of the activities we did or would do may not be such fun for a wee one! Wow...know about those waves.. We were in Mesico one time..can't even remember which time...I was in the ocean...a rogue wave came in and rolled me over and over....sand in every crevice a body it could get into..it was SO scary!, Just thought... And haven't even checked beach reports for Cabo and Mazatlan...better get on that!

We were in PV in December during the horrible rains. The beach at the Sea Monkey was completely gone. Three days later, the sand had returned almost to the level of the malecon (In 7 trips, we'd never seen the sand that high before!)

Even if the beach does not return in front of the Sea Monkey (and it surely will), the beach just a few yards south should (might?) be good. Your kids might like the beach at CyC better than the Sea Monkey, anyway. Our grandkids do.

We were in PV in December during the horrible rains. The beach at the Sea Monkey was completely gone. Three days later, the sand had returned almost to the level of the malecon (In 7 trips, we'd never seen the sand that high before!)

Even if the beach does not return in front of the Sea Monkey (and it surely will), the beach just a few yards south should (might?) be good. Your kids might like the beach at CyC better than the Sea Monkey, anyway. Our grandkids do.

Right now I am perplexed what we will do...the more I read about the Los Muertos area it doesn't look very family friendly...looks like it is pretty crowded and crazy?? We just might walk the Malecon and have a bite....she will have had beach time at Cabo and Mazatlan. tHanks!

Right now I am perplexed what we will do...the more I read about the Los Muertos area it doesn't look very family friendly...looks like it is pretty crowded and crazy?? We just might walk the Malecon and have a bite....she will have had beach time at Cabo and Mazatlan. tHanks!

Cabo is good (we've been there 12 times in the past 5 years) and Medano

Beach is fun (great restaurants and Cantinas), but the water is not at all child friendly (think sharp drop offs, and rogue waves.) I won't swim there, although my adult children do.

Mazatlan is fun, but we've only been there once, so can't really speak to that. As for Los Muertos, it can be hectic, but in our experience that is normally only south of the new Pier. As for anywhere from north of the pier to the bridge over the Cuales, we've never experienced "crowded or crazy", and have never been met with anyone that is not very friendly.

btw....as you cross the bridge over the Cuales, you might consider wandering down to the island. A fun flea market.

A stroll from the pier north on the Malecon is a great way to spend an afternoon.

Thanks!! Mazatlan has Stone Island which is a very relaxing day with nice waters and sand as long as you pick your place carefully..had a great day there last month. I guess as I get older I don't tolerate crowds and PDA's and rowdy foul language and don't really want to expose my granddaughter. I had thought about goi g back to Chicos Paradise..haven't been there for a number of years but I am not really reading great reviews lately. gEez....it shouldn't be so much trouble planning fun! We will try walking the Malexon and go NORTH of the pier 😎

Don't over think it. You'll enjoy the Swell or another spot

Why not have that bite at Playa Los Muertos and you will see it is no that crowded or crazy. (Apart from the week before Eastern, semana santa, yes then it is packed like any beach resort in Mexico.)

Or walk to the beach just south of the cruise terminal. No facilities there if you arenot in a hotel, but the beach is free and you kid can play in the sand.