Empress confirmed to Cuba from January 2017

Well the isolation of the past 50 years did not encourage Cuba into straightening up and the US has no ability to FORCE another country to straighten up.

The story of Cuba is terrible. Many people fled European dictators for safety and freedom in the US and many families emotionally can share your feelings.

I know too many Americans that are naive in believing that the economic influx will help the people. Perhaps, in some trickle down way it will....but in great waves, it won't. But that doesn't mean the doors shouldn't be pushed open a little bit at a time. If not, perhaps there never will come change.

agreed

that really is just a matter of them removing the itineraries off their listing. There are far worst discrepancies on Royal's website. lol :rolleyes: Cruisecal has always been pretty accurate in past when it comes to deployments, I see no reason why they would make this up.

If someone were going to fabricate itineraries I don't think they'd be sticking Nassau on them :D

I was born and raised in the US, but my grandparents left Cuba as Castro took power, because they knew what was coming. Until their government can lend their people a hand they will not get my money. Thats a fact. I understand the hype, but I hope people can take this opportunity to learn the REAlITY of what the people who ARE STILL IN CHARGE have done to their people.

I don't hold it against anyone going on these cruises, because Cuba is a very cultural place, but they will also put their best foot forward in the new "tourist areas." As of now this influx of American tourism is putting more money in the pockets of the same people who held my grandfather as a prisoner of war for 20 months and nearly beat him to death on a regular basis. I just can't bring myself to give them anything of mine, especially my money.

But if the US comes in and forces them to "straighten up" and remove the Castros from power, believe me I will be first in line for a cuban cruise.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/15032737/historic-game-cuba-ignores-pain-many-people-endured

Time to hop off my soap box. No hard feeling for those who are wanting to go to cuba, the food is to die for!

I agree. My mother and grandparents left Cuba in 1960. I am a first generation United States citizen. I feel the same as you. I don't blame others for wanting to go, but I will not spend one dime there. Most of the profits from foreign travel to Cuba goes directly to the Cuban government. Government officials and military members live well, while the rest of the population are forced to live on the equivalent of $24 per MONTH. Sadly, the average Cuban will not benefit from American travel to Cuba.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

According to other posters, cruisecal info has not always been accurate.....with Royal only putting out limited sailing date info on Empress with the last piece they put out was the month of July 2016 sailing and in doing so said that they would be putting out the schedule for Empress on a month by month basis....it is telling you that they are not making any announcements ahead of what they can actually do.

WHEN Royal says it, we will know.

The only time I've ever found CruiseCal to not be accurate is when Royal redeploys a ship last minute (because CruiseCal has already loaded the original itineraries and need time to switch everything). If everything goes as planned with the approvals, which obviously need to happen before itineraries go on sale, I'm pretty sure we will see those exact itineraries that are available on CruiseCal.

As I said before, CruiseCal is not just making up these itineraries. They're probabaly coming from the exact same place as the Anthem/Brillinace/Navigator/etc itineraries, which are very accurate.

The only time I've ever found CruiseCal to not be accurate is when Royal redeploys a ship last minute (because CruiseCal has already loaded the original itineraries and need time to switch everything). If everything goes as planned with the approvals, which obviously need to happen before itineraries go on sale, I'm pretty sure we will see those exact itineraries that are available on CruiseCal.

As I said before, CruiseCal is not just making up these itineraries. They're probabaly coming from the exact same place as the Anthem/Brillinace/Navigator/etc itineraries, which are very accurate.

Before anything can happen that they would like to plan for can happen, an embargo has to be lifted, especially for one day itinerary stops. FATHOM cruises are run totally different, they are full sailings that concentrate on 'cultural exchange' programs and people to people initiatives.

What I have highlighted points out the glaring piece that speculators want to avoid facing....approvals have not happened.

Royal could be discussing what they would like their itineraries to look like, if they can get approvals and planning around those details. But that is entirely different, than having it ready to 'rock and roll'.

Oh my...the Labor Day itinerary has KW and Havana. Five night cruise, only three vacation days needed from work to take it, I'm interested. I'm guessing the pricing will be ridiculous once this opens up for bookings, assuming approvals come through in time to start booking it. I have no C&A status, so I can't even count on the megadiscounts people got when Empress first (re)opened for bookings a few months ago.

Edited by undercat

You are, as always, very correct. The websites that report early are only picking up on the information that RCI are loading into the automated systems that generate all inventory for the various booking channels. They are just showing actual itineraries that are and are not open for sale in the systems.

The port booking evidence that was discovered to start this thread agree entirely with the itineraries shown on CruiseCal.

Is this website showing any other new ships in Cuba?

The only other ship I've seen is Adonia (Carnival's Fathom brand).

You are, as always, very correct. The websites that report early are only picking up on the information that RCI are loading into the automated systems that generate all inventory for the various booking channels. They are just showing actual itineraries that are and are not open for sale in the systems.

The port booking evidence that was discovered to start this thread agree entirely with the itineraries shown on CruiseCal.

Thanks for the additional info. Should be interesting to see how this all plays out. Do you think the port stops in Havana are going to be similar to what happens in ports such as St. Petersburg, where passengers are required to do some type of "tour"?

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

I am sure I know how to read, and there is nothing that can be labelled as 'official' in this statement....it is all hearsay.

Everyone I know in Royal corporate (and I have a long and substantial rolodex), has been telling me when they are officially granted the ability to offer port stops in Cuba they will.....and so will every other cruise line.

I've seen a lot in the financial sector speculating on which cruise lines will be the first to open regular sailings with Cuba as a stop. Lots of comment and speculation with several saying there was tacit approval but nothing formal from the government yet on it last I read up on it. The consensus seemingly being much more when not if with so many in the US so curious to visit. And of course Cuba is anxious for the inflow of American travel dollars. If Cuba has a pier or puts one in I suspect it will be a done deal. Much cheaper investment for the cruise lines than another new ship.

I've seen a lot in the financial sector speculating on which cruise lines will be the first to open regular sailings with Cuba as a stop. Lots of comment and speculation with several saying there was tacit approval but nothing formal from the government yet on it last I read up on it. The consensus seemingly being much more when not if with so many in the US so curious to visit. And of course Cuba is anxious for the inflow of American travel dollars. If Cuba has a pier or puts one in I suspect it will be a done deal. Much cheaper investment for the cruise lines than another new ship.

I can imagine that speculation in the financial sector on which cruise line will be the first to open regular sailings to Cuba is pretty high. The line that lands that will have a short term advantage, if the pricing and rules for the port stop are realistic.

The only other ship I've seen is Adonia (Carnival's Fathom brand).

Thanks for the additional info. Should be interesting to see how this all plays out. Do you think the port stops in Havana are going to be similar to what happens in ports such as St. Petersburg, where passengers are required to do some type of "tour"?

Things will develop a little faster in the current climate as Cuba has been seeing over 2,8 million tourists a year for quite a number of years now.

I think 'cultural exchange' tourism gives quite a bit of flexibility for excursions that involve both modern and historical Cuban culture. There will also be room for the arts and nightlife tours could even be worked in on the overnights.

How controlled these 'tours' will be will yet to be seen. They will most likely not let early cruise passengers visit Havana on their own, nor arrange tours themselves. They will most likely develop controlled cultural exchanges in the early phases.

Cultural exchange tourism could also involve events and local Cuban entertainment onboard the ship, while in port.

I have a feeling that RCI expected to have had their approval from the Cuban government already to work within the parameters for current travel for Americans to Cuba. I do not find the delay unusual nor unexpected though and hope they will have approval soon.

I am just glad for RCI that they had not released sailings for sale as Pearl Seas had done.

Things will develop a little faster in the current climate as Cuba has been seeing over 2,8 million tourists a year for quite a number of years now.

I think 'cultural exchange' tourism gives quite a bit of flexibility for excursions that involve both modern and historical Cuban culture. There will also be room for the arts and nightlife tours could even be worked in on the overnights.

How controlled these 'tours' will be will yet to be seen. They will most likely not let early cruise passengers visit Havana on their own, nor arrange tours themselves. They will most likely develop controlled cultural exchanges in the early phases.

Cultural exchange tourism could also involve events and local Cuban entertainment onboard the ship, while in port.

I have a feeling that RCI expected to have had their approval from the Cuban government already to work within the parameters for current travel for Americans to Cuba. I do not find the delay unusual nor unexpected though and hope they will have approval soon.

I am just glad for RCI that they had not released sailings for sale as Pearl Seas had done.

And everytime someone posts a cruise line that is offering these People2People/Cultural Exchange cruises, when you look at the prices they are exorbitant. The sailing is totally a Cuban experience, which for me, is not what I would want and still may present headaches for those with US Passports.

The approval I hope that Royal is looking for is for one day stops in Cuba, with excursions for that day. I realize that the excursion will be approved by Cuba and have to have some cultural component. But I am not looking for a 'cultural immersion' experience for a 7-10 cruise.

Royal is wise to avoid putting sailings out for bookings until all the issues are worked out and then hope that what they are offering gets the customer results they are hoping for. It would be worse to put something up that then has to be cancelled or significantly changed due to other issues. They already dealt with that mess.

The Cuban gov't may not want one day stops by cruise ships, for all we know.....that surely puts a different look on what will be available.

If RCCL goes to Cuba, they will loose my whole family as cruisers. The Cuban people get nothing from the tourists that spend money there. The government takes all. It is a sad day when Americans think they are doing something great for the people of Havana when visiting Cuba. The right time is not yet.

And you get that idea from where? Cuban's already make money from the millions of tourists that now visit there each year from Canada and Europe. There is a lot more free enterprise opportunities now for the locals that they are taking advantage of - owning restaurants, B & B's, touring. They are suffering the most from the embargo which makes it hard for them to get more than the basic's. From talking to the locals, they have mixed thoughts on having an invasion of Americans. They are excited about being able to buy a more varied selection but concerned about the impact on their culture which they love. The music is incredible:) So both Cuba and the US are wondering what lies ahead.

This is beautiful Cuba - great beaches, snorkeling and diving and wonderful people. http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/unseen-cuba-first-aerial-photographs-reveal-islands-spectacular-beauty-1501542

That's a very enlightening article. Thanks for posting!

That article just annoys me!!! They don't have those baby clothes, syringes, etc because there is an EMBARGO. They have to ration everything because there is an EMBARGO!!! They have been struggling for 60 year under this crippling measure and it is time to let it go. Believe me, the rest of the world has.

That article just annoys me!!! They don't have those baby clothes, syringes, etc because there is an EMBARGO. They have to ration everything because there is an EMBARGO!!! They have been struggling for 60 year under this crippling measure and it is time to let it go. Believe me, the rest of the world has.

The Embargo was a US Embargo, not an Embargo between Cuba and every other country in the world.

The Embargo was a US Embargo, not an Embargo between Cuba and every other country in the world.

My friends stayed at an Iberostar hotel at Cayo Santa Maria 4-5* hotel last month. Lots of Spanish owned hotels in Cuba - Melia and Barcelo as well. Their shower head broke in their room and the manager apologized while he duct taped it, because it would have to be ordered from Spain. Sure they should have had an extra on hand but that is the difficulty everyone operates under there. Sure can't give the business to a local Cuban hardware store because.........

And you get that idea from where? Cuban's already make money from the millions of tourists that now visit there each year from Canada and Europe. There is a lot more free enterprise opportunities now for the locals that they are taking advantage of - owning restaurants, B & B's, touring. They are suffering the most from the embargo which makes it hard for them to get more than the basic's. From talking to the locals, they have mixed thoughts on having an invasion of Americans. They are excited about being able to buy a more varied selection but concerned about the impact on their culture which they love. The music is incredible:) So both Cuba and the US are wondering what lies ahead.

This is beautiful Cuba - great beaches, snorkeling and diving and wonderful people. http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/unseen-cuba-first-aerial-photographs-reveal-islands-spectacular-beauty-1501542

thank you for the link. Beautiful photos.

Sorry but your information is a bit off. Everything in Cuba is at least partially owned by the Cuban government - that's the problem. They can't afford the parts because they don't have the money, not because home depot won't send them a faucet. Most have to rely on black market earnings to get by after they are done essentially putting in a hard days work for their government.

Not taking anything away from the beauty of the country, I'm sure it's amazing.

Edited by Stags14