Coral princess Panama canal review

sandy19644

Full Transit panama canal on coral princess Sept 17, Vancouver- Oct 5, Fort Lauderdale

Embarking-

Was quite a long customs line in Vancouver at 11 am but only took about 20 minutes to get through. Think they said the ship was at 65 % capacity til we hit Los Angeles.

Absolutely beautiful ship. Clean as a whistle and all the staff so happy looking (could be because they were done with the cold in Alaska and heading to Caribbean, lol ). We were in A622 balcony suite. Room was bigger than we expected and shower was very tiny, would be hard for larger person to do much in it. The balcony was a good size, I did see some that were bigger below, but I liked the fact that no one but my one neighbour could see into ours. We were right before the back bumpout started, was perfect and would get a room back there again. Was far from the dining areas, but that was good thing, needed to walk off all the extra calories I was taking in!!The bed was very very comfortable, firm. I immediately called and asked for feather pillow and robes. They were in our room within an hour. There was a plumbing problem which took few hours for them to fix. Needed more hangers and asked for about 30 more, and that was not a problems either. Very prompt and efficient service. We were about 8 rooms down from the laundry facilities, this was great, close enough but far enough that we did not hear the noise.

Went on a little tour of ship before to many passengers got on. Will say I was impressed with the layout and decor. Absolutely beautiful. Remember, the port side carpets have a red strip in them, the starboard blue. It was very helpful when coming off the elevators, seeing as they have three banks of them and I could never keep track which ones I took!

Sea days to Los Angeles were beautiful and relaxing. We had late fixed seating for the first three days (catoragized as two cruises, Vancouver to Los Angeles and Los Angeles to fort Lauderdale), We enjoyed our table mates so much that we all went for the anytime seating the rest of the time to dine together. We hit upon two absolutely wonderful and funny wait staff, Sebastian and Jorge. They made every evening enjoyable. We did dine at Sabatinis and bayou. Sabatinis was wonderful, I do suggest that you don't eat lunch that day to make the evening more enjoyable le. I would also suggest the same for Bayou, I was over full after the bayou because I did have lunch that day. Both dining areas should be tried!

The food in the dining room was excellent each and every night, I could not believe when I heard passengers complaining that the menus were repeated twice. I am sure they did not try every item on the menu the first time around! The horizon court was also very good, I did however enjoy the dinning room better for meals, much hotter and fresher tasting food.

The captain was charming and was always mingling with guest, was nice to see. His senior staff also were out and about alot. The lounge staff in La Patisserie were wonderful and nice place for pre dinner drink. Also, best place to get cup of coffee that is not through the machine like the buffets is. We had room service every morning and the coffee from them was also more palatable.

We did book most of our excursions online before our trip and not through princess, found that we could do the same thing and much more for about 1/2-1/3 the price. Would strongly recommend coachcostarica.com for Costa Rica tour. Fantastic tour for fantastic price! Also Phil Lafayette in Jamaica, he is so informative about his country, was nice to listen to him talk and educate us. We did the falls , white river tubing, lunch, shopping and this all came to 55 dollars, (lunch was 20 for three of us).

I loved Hualtuco, such an "almost" untouched little bay, great beaches, lovely people.

The canal was something to behold. We went to Caribe deck very forward, the sign says no admittance, but its allowed, also Baja deck go forward through the no admittance doors, Great views and not so crowded as up top. Also most decks have little mini deck off the aft of the ship. Great to see locks close.

Pictures........... You will have a ton taken of you, one great suggestion is put them all together, then at the end decide which ones you want to keep.

If you have any questions , or I have forgotten to mention any thing I will add to this post! Happy sailing!!

Thanks for posting your review on the Coral. Reading it is making me so excited about going on her in less than 4 wks!!! I'll have to look for your two waiters in the anytime dining room. I love run wait staff.

Thank you for your review of of the Coral. We will be doing the repo from FLL to San Francisco next May on her way back to Alaska. This will be our second time on her and is now my favorite ship. Again thank you for the review.

Marilyn

We are going on the Oct 23 trip

Interesting question came up regarding towels at the pool--are they plentiful or limited? I heard they are given to you in your room rather than a free ample supply at the pool

Are the evening shows at the same each night--so if we ate at 7 30 --each night would that be enough time to catch a show?

Are the tours in Panama worth taking--do you miss the canal itself if you take a tour--I would think the purpose of the cruise is to enjoy the trip thru the canals --But if you take a tour you will miss it--Am I right?

Which dining rom did u enjoy the most

thanks

Thanks for the review! I love to read different reviews and see which things are the highlights. Could you give a little more information on the coach tour you took in Costa Rica?

We were picked up an hour after we docked by an airconditioned bus. Held about 20 people and there were 8 of us. Juan Carlos is the owner, and he had a driver so he could be our tour guide and tell us everything that we were passing and answer our questions. We stoped at a little shop by the side of the road that sold the best coffee as well as the best shopping area, found some real treasures made out of the native wood product. We saw some crocodiles in the water, probably 15 of them, as well as iguana's and some pretty birds. we proceeded to punta leona resort and did 9 zips, was fantastic. We had lunch there, then went to their private beach. was secluded and beautiful. We then went into a town called jaco...... the shopping was not as good there, i would recommend getting all your trinkets etc at that roadside stand, he would bargain, but in jaco, they would not. the tour lasted about 6 hours and wasd 70 dollars, excellent value for perfect day!! would use them again, they are very flexible in what you want to do. coachcostarica.com

We are going on the Oct 23 trip

Interesting question came up regarding towels at the pool--are they plentiful or limited? I heard they are given to you in your room rather than a free ample supply at the pool

Are the evening shows at the same each night--so if we ate at 7 30 --each night would that be enough time to catch a show?

Are the tours in Panama worth taking--do you miss the canal itself if you take a tour--I would think the purpose of the cruise is to enjoy the trip thru the canals --But if you take a tour you will miss it--Am I right?

Which dining rom did u enjoy the most

thanks

- They are given to you in your room, we asked our attendant to leave us 4 each day, and she did.

-the evening shows are the same and they usually had an early one and one that started at 10:15 or 10"30, so plenty of time to eat first and catch the show.

-we were not offered tours because of the full transit and repositioning, i have read though that they are good too.

-I enjoyed each dining experience to be honest. I was not dissappointed ever. I did enjoy the optional restaurants seeing as we were on for 18 days, mixed things up a bit. I did however enjoy our waitstaff in the anytime because we got the same duo every night!

Sounds like a great experience. How long does it actually take to go through?

The first two locks took about 2 hours, 7am-9am, then through the guatan lake took another 4.5 and then the last set we hit took 1.5 hours or so. we were through and in cristobal by 3. I would say, dont take cab around cristobol, high crime and poverty........ we were there only for 3 hours, so shopped at the port and that was it.

Thank you for your review of of the Coral. We will be doing the repo from FLL to San Francisco next May on her way back to Alaska. This will be our second time on her and is now my favorite ship. Again thank you for the review.

Marilyn

You will enjoy it marilyn, sounds like your stopping at different ports? we did not stop in san francisco, whats the itineary like>?

Do you think it would be a physical challenge for a 60 year old couch potato?

Hiking to the falls? Tubing?

Thanks.

The falls were a little challanging, but I dont think anyone would have a real terrible time, unless you are alot over weight and have not walked in while. Everyone holds hands and you definately need water shoes. Buy them at home, they are 3 or 4 times the price on the ship and elsewhere. The tubing is gentle, its so nice and relaxing, not any rough water, just a gentle float down the white river.

We had late fixed seating for the first three days (catoragized as two cruises, Vancouver to Los Angeles and Los Angeles to fort Lauderdale), We enjoyed our table mates so much that we all went for the anytime seating the rest of the time to dine together.
I am confused. :confused: If you had late seating and enjoyed your table mates, why couldn't you stay in late seating?

markf - We will be on the Coral starting this Saturday and do not return until the 25th. If you are on the October 23rd cruise, you will have quite a wait for embarkation. :D

I am confused. :confused: If you had late seating and enjoyed your table mates, why couldn't you stay in late seating?

This is a little confusing, but here it goes. We were all able to get late fixed dining for the first leg of the cruise, (vancouver to Los Angeles),and were seated together, however because of circumstances and timing of purchaching cruise ticets etc, me and my DH were able to also get late seating for second part, but one couple were not and were put on anytime dining, and the other couple had chosen long before to do the early seating seeing as another couple were joining them for the rest of the cruise in los angeles and had not been able to get a guarantee for late dining at that point

The first part of the cruise was only 65 % sold out, so basically was easy to get what ever eating arrangements you wanted, but because alot of people got off in LA and alot of new ones got on in LA table arrangements were all new, like a new cruise........ hope you could understand that!

Hi Sandy.............. thanks for your comments on the Coral Princess. I

will be on her in a few weeks.

Could you please tell me the names of the Captain, Maitre'D and

Captains Circle Hostess???

Also, any information on the shows would be greatly appreciaited.

Thanks!!

You stated that A622 was a suite. I thought it was a Cat. BB standard balcony room. Have they changed things on the layout of the Coral by adding suites to the Aloha deck?

Scott

whoops, meant balcony room, sorry. Not a suite!

Archived