Juneau whale whatching/Mendenhall Glacier

souto

I would like some help,please.

Thinking about whale watching tour with Mendenhall Glacier. Any experiences with these two tour companies: Juneau whale watching and Alaska-shore excursions ? They have good price.

Thanks

I would like some help,please.

Thinking about whale watching tour with Mendenhall Glacier. Any experiences with these two tour companies: Juneau whale watching and Alaska-shore excursions ? They have good price.

Thanks

This was my Juneau Whale Watching and tours experience, which I enjoyed very much.

[YOUTUBE]KV1XSxkNCl4[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]GOMA2HeTGJw[/YOUTUBE]

Another vote for Juneau Whale Watch.

We (family of 10) went at the end of June 2015, and saw whales bubble feed at least 7 times on the trip, unforgettable experience.

Thanks a lot.

Is it better booking in advance, on line or is it possible to do in Port?

Unless you plan to do the cruise ship offering book ahead online! The better vendors have a good reputation and likely best times will fill up.

Harv & Marv was great for us. Depending on your tour time you could either make your own way to Mendenhall then get picked up there by them, or dropped off there after and make you own way back to the ship. We did this on the blue bus and were picked up at Mendenhall by Harv and Marv

Harv & Marv was great for us. Depending on your tour time you could either make your own way to Mendenhall then get picked up there by them, or dropped off there after and make you own way back to the ship. We did this on the blue bus and were picked up at Mendenhall by Harv and Marv

Thanks a lot.

I'm looking at this same combination, waffling between:

• Juneau Tours: departure times are a little better, cheaper, more time at Mendenhall for site-seeing and walking around
  • Harv & Marv: smaller boat, more intimate, more time whale watching and better chances to see humpbacks, more experienced, knowledgeable staff.

Anybody who's done one or both who can offer perspectives? I really want to see humpbacks but also really want the opportunity for some nice scenery walks (nothing strenuous), and the trails and boardwalks around Mendenhall look beautiful.

As mentioned above we have only done the Harv and Marv tour. We got off the ship in the morning and went to the bus, took the bus over to Mendenhall, we did some walking through the trails and visitor center, then met Harv and Marv's van at the parking lot to take us to the boat harbour. Afterwards we were dropped off downtown where we had a bit of time to wander around before boarding the ship. of course this will all be determined by your port time.

Here's another vote for Harv and Marv. After doing a lot of research we decided a small boat was the way to go for us. We had four folks plus the captain and it was great. It was very enjoyable to be able to talk directly to the captain and get her insite on the whales and wildlife in the area and her personal experiences. She truly loved what she was doing.

We had other tours after the whale watching so the shuttle dropped the other couple off at Mendenhall then took us on into town to meet up with our next group. Great time and very professionally run.

Something to bear in mind, although it's happens very rarely, mechanical failures do occur. On my first Alaskan cruise, the ship was delayed twice. Once because of the White Pass coming back an hour late (I was one of a couple of hundred on the train) and the other because a whale watching tour was stranded and awaiting "rescue" in Juneau. Since both had passengers that booked through the cruise line, the ship waited. If you go private, they won't wait.

I'd just make sure you have plenty of time to get back on board.