Going on an RCCL Cruise with a 3 year old

Your 3 year old and you will be fine. My son just turned 3 last week. In May he will be going on his 7th cruise. It's completely doable. I wrote a lot of "family friendly" reviews after my trips. Feel free to check out some of my past reviews found in my signature:

Carnival Glory

Enchantment of the Sea

Carnival Breeze

Brilliance of the Seas

Jewel of the Seas

And Disney Magic.

Those are in age order. Jewel and Magic were both within the last 6 months so may be of most help age wise. But my early reviews include a lot of tips for parents too!

I love Royal's kids programs. May will be his first time as an aquanaut, but my nieces who are a little older than my son refused to leave the kids club!!!!

You sound a lot like us! :D Cruising just makes sense for our family, best way to travel for us.

You do a great job with your reviews! I always start every cruise intending on doing a pictorial review of it, but after the first day or so I'm horrible about taking pictures. By the time I get back I realize I don't have anywhere near enough to put together even a mediocre review. So I know the effort it takes, and appreciate greatly all of you that are able to do it! :)

We are somewhat heavy packers anyway, but we have definitely figured out by now what we really need to take. :D

We took our own pack'n'play for the first 4 cruises, and now a small travel cot for our son.

Do you have any packing tips of things that Parents of 3 year olds should take that can make it a little easier?

Also you mentioned you have a small travel cot for your son. How old is your son and what is the brand/model of the travel cot?

I was planning on taking the pack n play but now I'm starting to think that he may be too big for it. The boardwalk room we booked doesn't have a sofa bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by maalvarez18

Do you have any packing tips of things that Parents of 3 year olds should take that can make it a little easier?

Also you mentioned you have a small travel cot for your son. How old is your son and what is the brand/model of the travel cot?

I was planning on taking the pack n play but now I'm starting to think that he may be too big for it. The boardwalk room we booked doesn't have a sofa bed.

No need to take your pack-n-play. If you think you might use one just pre-reserve one from the cruiseline...then if you find your child is too big for it you won't have brought it for nothing. The small (loveseat type sofa not a sofa bed) in your cabin can also be turned around facing the wall..thus making a small bed that the cabin steward will make up. Or a travel cot may be a good idea.

No need to take your pack-n-play. If you think you might use one just pre-reserve one from the cruiseline...then if you find your child is too big for it you won't have brought it for nothing. The small (loveseat type sofa not a sofa bed) in your cabin can also be turned around facing the wall..thus making a small bed that the cabin steward will make up. Or a travel cot may be a good idea.

The idea of turning the sofa around is fantastic. Did you think of this on your own do they just do this for small kids? When we stay in hotels we usually bring a small blow up mattress so she doesn't fall out of the bed (she's in a toddler bed).

Depends on your kid. My 4 year old had been on two cruises, one at 2 yrs old and one at 3 yrs old. He was easier on the ship than at home because there was so much fun stuff for him to do. You have picked a great ship your child. It will be different than previous cruises but I would at least try it. Are you going eastern or western route? I would choose western. I think it's easier to get around with a young one at those ports.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Right now I was looking at the eastern route. My wife and I have been to Cozumel multiple times and St. Martin/St. Thomas only twice. I was figuring it was easier to get around those places than Cozumel and Falmouth. I've never been to Falmouth, only been to Ocho Rios on the Voyager of the Seas. My recollection of Jamaica was driving through the mountains with about 3" of road between the tire and the end of a 150' cliff. Is there much to do in Falmouth?

Cruise line will supply a pack and play. Just curious, if your room doesn't have a sofa bed, how did you manage to book three in it ?

The travel cot might not be necessary for you. We take it because we have an older daughter and the kids don't sleep well together, so it's better if they each have their own bed. If it's just the three of you, you might have a convertible sofa that turns into a single bed, that could work well for your 3 year old. Check to see what your exact room has, if three of you booked into the room then there will be sleeping spots for three people.

I don't remember off hand exactly what cot we have, but it's something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Regalo-Cot-Portable-Royal-Blue/dp/B000H1MRJO

Though it says it's good for kids up to 52 inches tall, I question that. Our son is about 42" now and we're talking about getting him a new slightly bigger cot. But it folds up very compact, and sets up very easily. Works great even for hotels, staying at Grandparents, etc.

I definitely wouldn't have thought to take a pack'n'play for a 3 year old, we stopped taking our when DS turned 2. But if that would work for you requesting one from the ship is an option. Get the request in earlier rather than waiting until you board. We always took our own because DS tended to sleep better in ours, I couldn't tell you why...

Other than that, general packing tips... The things people tend to overpack is clothes. You generally don't need multiple outfits for every day, in fact most people probably don't even need one outfit per day. Plan to re-wear jeans/shorts/jackets/sweatshirts and such. Kids ar ea little different, but their clothes are smaller so it's not a big deal to take a few extras. Don't take more shoes than you need, that's a big one. Most Royal ships have the Royal Babies and Tots program, which allows you to check out a bag of toys for use in your room. So you don't need to take a bunch of toys. If you want sand toys for the beaches, wait and buy a cheap set at your embarkation port, and then just leave them when you go home.

Do make sure you take enough of anything you might need that will be difficult to get on the ship. Diapers, baby wipes, children's OTC medicine, etc. We once paid $160 to see the onboard Dr, all just to get Children's IBProfuren for our son with a fever. Had they sold it in the shops we would have just bought it there, but they didn't. Medical center was the only way.

I'll tell you my achilles heel when it comes to packing. I always have grand aspirations of working out every day. In reality I'll end up working out 0-3 times on a cruise. So I take more clean workout clothes home than dirty ones.

It's been more than 4 years that I posted here and I am seeking some help. My wife and I have been avid cruisers from (almost literally) the day we got married when we had our honeymoon on the Tahitian Princess. Just about 9 months ;) after we went on our last cruise in 2012 on the Caribbean Princess we were blessed with a fantastic baby girl. Flash forward 3 years and our lifestyle of going on a cruise multiple times a year for nearly 8 years (I think we've been on 20+ cruises and we're Diamond RCCL) came to a grinding halt. I am pretty sure it's been almost all anxiousness on my end as to why we haven't gone back, but I am seeking some help! I am very seriously interested on going on a 7 day cruise on the Oasis in May. I've never been on a ship larger than the Voyager class, and the Oasis seems amazing.

So, here are my questions:

1) This will sound awful, but whatever: Is 7 days on a ship with a 3 year old a good idea? Maybe ridiculous, but I've spent like max 5 days consistently with her 24 hours a day because I work. Will she get bored? Will I get bored? Will I want to kill my wife? Lots of questions here....

2) Is the Oasis a good ship for a 3 year old? I understand that the purpose of this cruise is WAY different than previous cruises I've been on. We will not be waking up at 2am to drive to the top of Haleakala in Maui to bike down in freezing weather. I need things that can keep my wife and I having fun (I don't think that'll be a problem), but at the same time keep her entertained.

2a) I read about the Aquanauts program. Is 3 too young for this?? Is it good?

3) How do you handle shore excursions with driving around? Dumb question (maybe), and I am not one who needs to make sure my kid is also duct taped to the seat as well as firmly buckled into the car seat. Do I just hold on to her for dear life as a taxi driver whips around the mountains?

4) Logistically, is it like insane to get ready (shower, etc) with a small person? We've stayed in hotels since she's been born but they had large bathrooms with tubs. I am very familiar with the tiny showers on cruise ships. Do I just throw her in the pool and call her clean??

5) I know this is a family vacation, but I've loved cruising because it is so stress free. Every day between work and personal obligations I am making decisions: "what do we do today, what do we eat, etc". I always loved going on a cruise knowing that if I am hungry, food is there, no thinking about needing to drive some place. If we want to watch a show, we go. Will the same logic apply? I mean, I know the kid needs to eat and waiting until midnight because we forgot to eat that day because we were spelunking isn't a good excuse.

6) This kinda goes back to question 2a, but because she is so young does this mean activities between my wife and I are out of the question for now? I.E. can we put her in Aquanauts and go get a couples massage or go to the room for 10 minutes? ;)

I appreciate any and all help! It's not all bad. We do live in South Florida, so my paranoia associated with air travel and a small child isn't also factored into this. :D

I cruised the Oasis last year, and it has a lovely water area for young children, and the youth programs are very good on the ship. I'm sure your daughter will have a super time in them, and that will give you some adult free time on the ship.

We cruised with a young child several years ago,and we bought a small blow-up bathtub that we put right in the shower and filled for her to use. I believe my daughter bought it online. But a three year old should be fine with just a shower.

To avoid a stressful time with dinner, I would choose to have the early dinner seating, and not try to do My Time Dining. Young children don't like to wait for a table. But I'm sure you already know that. I found that mostly families were in that early dinner hour (we had cruised with 4 grandchildren on the Oasis and chose that time).

You will love the Oasis! My favorite area was Central Park. A very relaxing place to unwind at end of day. I'm sure your daughter will love the Boardwalk, with its carousel, ice cream and candy shops, hot dog stand.

There are plenty of complimentary food venues on this ship, also. If you find the buffet too busy and crazy at times, try the Park Cafe for breakfast and lunch, or the Wipe Out Cafe up by the flowrider. Sorrentos always has pizza and the Prommenaide Cafe, sandwiches, deserts, etc.

I'm sure it is just your anxiety, but once you cruise with your daughter, you will never stop cruising again! Enjoy!

Right now I was looking at the eastern route. My wife and I have been to Cozumel multiple times and St. Martin/St. Thomas only twice. I was figuring it was easier to get around those places than Cozumel and Falmouth. I've never been to Falmouth, only been to Ocho Rios on the Voyager of the Seas. My recollection of Jamaica was driving through the mountains with about 3" of road between the tire and the end of a 150' cliff. Is there much to do in Falmouth?

There isn't much in Falmouth, especially for kids. You can get to Ocho Rios from Falmouth, it's a 45 minute or so drive. My son did both the Blue Hole and Dunns River falls when he was 2. Yeah, the driving there can be a little nerve-wracking. :)

Cozumel is nice enough, there are enough beaches with things for little ones to do.

The real gen of the Western itinerary, in my opinion, is Labadee. That's a great stop for kids of all ages, but some nice calm beaches with gentle entries, kids play area, etc. All walkable...

If it were me I'd choose western and stay on the ship in Falmouth, but the Eastern side is doable too. St. Maarten has Great Bay Beach which is walkable from the ship, or dozens of other nicer beaches just a quick cab ride away. St. Thomas has some nice beaches for kids, like Magan's. Nassua... well... I'm not a fan. But if you want to splurge the Atlantis waterpark is there. Or go out to the Blue Lagoon.

But you can't go wrong with either really... Even though I never have and probably never will stay on a ship all week and not get off at any ports, the Oasis class ships are the only ships I've sailed where I think I'd be perfectly fine doing that. There's just so much to enjoy on those ships...

We did not like Falmouth at all! Just my opinion, as we did a beach day, but it was not very nice at all.

Being avid cruisers it's surprising you've waited so long since her birth to take a family vacation. We started the second our child hit 6 months old! Our oldest has elite type rankings on two separate cruise lines and he's only in grade school.

Aside from what has been posted here I'd suggest you check out the Family Board. People with 3 year olds on your specific ship will be able to chime in.

Have fun! :cool:

Being avid cruisers it's surprising you've waited so long since her birth to take a family vacation. We started the second our child hit 6 months old! Our oldest has elite type rankings on two separate cruise lines and he's only in grade school.

Aside from what has been posted here I'd suggest you check out the Family Board. People with 3 year olds on your specific ship will be able to chime in.

Have fun! :cool:

Well, as I said in my original post, it's mostly my anxiousness as a human that I think has prevented us. I never had a problem going anywhere in the world Europe, Africa, Pacific, Caribbean, on cruises...but the idea of having a tiny person with my wife and I on a ship for 7 days seemed a bit overwhelming. I know from a sane, logical perspective, my views are unfounded and ridiculous, but that's why I am here! I feel like I am finally on the cusp of breaking through the barrier and clicking "Book Now." We have taken family vacations. As I said earlier we live in Florida and have done road trips to Orlando, West Florida, Georgia, etc. But that's about it. I got the nerve last year to go out of the country for the first time for 6 days when we went to Aruba on our 10 year anniversary. Of course, that trip was without the tiny human.

I thought of posting this on the Family Board, but I really wanted feedback about RCCL's kids programs and how the Oasis specifically is for small kids. I looked at Disney, but the price is so crazy compared to RCCL and honestly, the thought of hearing It's a Small World all day (I assume they pump it into the state rooms, underwater in the pool, etc.) makes me a bit hesitant to go on it. In addition, I wanted some input on the itineraries to see if my compass was off choosing eastern over western, etc. Short of Falmouth we've been to all the ports. But all of my experiences were as active 20-30 year old married couple with no kids, not as mid-30s with a kid. :)

The idea of turning the sofa around is fantastic. Did you think of this on your own do they just do this for small kids? When we stay in hotels we usually bring a small blow up mattress so she doesn't fall out of the bed (she's in a toddler bed).

No :o...I certainly didn't think of it....but once you're in your cabin if it looks like something that might work for your little one just ask your cabin steward to do it for you and then he'll do it each night for you or leave it as is and made up, that way she'll have it for naps too.

BTW: Are you sure your Boardwalk cabin "doesn't have a sofabed" ? Because if it does if she can perhaps sleep in the middle without the fear of her falling out or the sofa can be turned facing the wall too. I'm sure this will all work out for the best.

Edited by Ashland

We did not like Falmouth at all! Just my opinion, as we did a beach day, but it was not very nice at all.

Have you been to Montego Bay? Is there stuff to do there? I've only been to Jamaica once and that was to see Dunn's River Falls. I'd have no intention of doing that on this trip.

I went on Independence with daughter when she was 3 - just the two of us. It was great. I'd recommend sticking with one of the larger ships that has the splash pad H20 zone for kids - she loved it. It was her second cruise - she went when she was 1 year, then 3 years, and most recently at 6.

It's different from a regular cruise - it's all about family time as opposed to r&r, but as long as you go into it realizing that, you'll have a great time. It was the first cruise not seeing any of the shows or anything - since we were on her schedule, but no complaints there.

Here's what we did when she was 3

Cozumel - Dolphin excursion at Chankanaab - highly recommend it if you end up in Cozumel

Costa Maya - beach day at Nohoch Kay

Grand Cayman - turtle farm

Edited by Canadian Tyler