Talk to me about Junkanoo Beach Nassau

Mommabear2Five

We're sailing Nassau and Cocoa Cay in May. We're not planning any excusions for either port (rare for us) because it will be the first stop in both places for my kids (18, 19, 21 & 23) while it will be my 5th time in Nassau.

Originally, the plan was to shop at the straw market and then hit up Senor Frogs (I know, I know, but my kids want to) but I've recently read about Junkanoo and have heard mixed reviews. Some say it's beautiful, some say it's full of trash.

We're looking for fun and I know the kids will want a party atmosphere. Is it worth spending a few hours there? Any tips while we are there? Is there another, free or low cost beach to explore close to port?

Thanks!

We found it to be full of glass. We saw this as soon as we stepped on the beach.

Maybe further down it was cleaner, I don't know, but we saw enough glass to not want to risk going in the water.

Others called us out on this, saying a "little glass ... ". It was much more than a "little".

We found it to be full of glass and dirty too. We would not take our kids there, but they are younger.

Your kids are older and may enjoy the many little tiki huts there with drink specials despite the quality of the beach/sand area.

We are scheduled to be in Nassau next year on the Harmony with our kids who will be ages 14, 12, 10, 8, 5 and 3 when we are there. We will not be taking them to Junkanoo.

The time that the ship is docked there doesn't make passes to Atlantis a good choice, so I'm not sure what we will do there.

Take bus #10 to Cable Beach. This is where the Sheraton and other hotels are. Beautiful beaches. You need the exact change for the buses, so have singles and quarters on you. Just a suggestion.:)

That's right bus 10 interesting ride too. We went to Beaches next to Sheraton. One thing is for sure, that stretch of beach is clean and has the clearest water I've ever been on. We kayaked and you could look down and think 15 feet of water was 2 ft. beneath you. Awesome...

And when you are ready to return.....cross the street to the other side (because now you will being heading back to the ship in the opposite direction). You will see bus stands. #10 will go by about every 15 minutes. Again...make sure you have small change!!!! They won't let you on if you don't have exact change.:):):)

Take a taxi or boat taxi over to Atlantis or Riu Palace. Then use the beach on that side.

I did stay at Atlantis before and there were lots of cruise passengers on the beach for the day.

Edited by adjjb12

We were there in February with my 17 & 19 year old. We purchased drinks at the Tiki Bikini bar and after checking that it was OK to do so with the staff, because it was pretty crowded on the beach area around the bar, we walked down the beach maybe 3 or 4 minutes max and spread our towels there. When we wanted our drinks replenished we just walked back along the path at the back of the beach. I didn't see any glass there was one tin can in a fire pit near where we spread out but that was it. Because of the drinking age being 21 on the ship but my eldest can legally drink in Canada she was feeling left out of not being able to have a cocktail on board so she enjoyed the $20 for unlimited cocktails in the coconut deal. My kids had a great afternoon on the beach. We didn't have any issues at all

Edited by Mattnvick

I think Junkanoo will suit you just fine!

The drink deals are great at the Tiki Bikini Hut, and it will be a fun party atmosphere!

We walked there last year and found the water and beach to be fine, no glass, beautiful blue water.

We also spent some time at Senor Frogs, which was another big party. Many of the young adults my kids met onboard hung out at both places and we had a great time. WE are planning on going back to both this year. Starting out with the cheap drinks on the beach and then headed to Senor Frogs and its fun atmosphere.

I love it.

First time I went to Nassau we took the typical excursion of Atlantis. Next year we went to a beach near Atlantis which I didn't like at all and finally I find out about Junkanoo, free beach some local but I loved it. My itinerary on Nassau is never more than 5 hours so there is not much to explore. I never found glass in the sand but calm warm water.

I don't really like to pay for all inclusive beach pass when I have back at the ship lots of drink and food, I won't die if I don't eat that much for a few hours specially when you are overrating already onboard

I'm not scared of Nassau but to be honest there are many warning for US travels visiting Nassau that now I rather take a taxi than taking a public bus.

Can't wait the day they substitute Nassau for Cuba as a port of call

Edited by mcatmcat

We have been to Junkanoo Beach several times. We look forward to it. We always make a trip to FAT TUESDAY'S :D The wings, fried conch and numerous choices of Daiquiris are great!!! We keep our special cups because you get discount if you have your own..lol...that is a deal too ;) Another thing we like while snacking and sipping is watching customers dive off the railing into the beautiful water then swim to the beach, return to dive again. It's like having a show with your meal. The walk from the ship is short and we enjoy seeing the fresh conch brought up by some of the boaters and some of the gorgeous shells they have on display for sale. You do pass the Straw Market on the way and it is a nice stop IF you want to buy things. Once our bellies are right (he he he) we go for a swim or lie out on the beach. The water is clear and warm. Then back to the ship for a shower and late lunch or snack. We never stay all day, mostly just for the stop at FAT TUESDAY'S :D

We're sailing Nassau and Cocoa Cay in May. We're not planning any excusions for either port (rare for us) because it will be the first stop in both places for my kids (18, 19, 21 & 23) while it will be my 5th time in Nassau.

Originally, the plan was to shop at the straw market and then hit up Senor Frogs (I know, I know, but my kids want to) but I've recently read about Junkanoo and have heard mixed reviews. Some say it's beautiful, some say it's full of trash.

We're looking for fun and I know the kids will want a party atmosphere. Is it worth spending a few hours there? Any tips while we are there? Is there another, free or low cost beach to explore close to port?

Thanks!

Junkanoo is fine, we like it there, no glass/trash where we go. Go to JYAH which is the first part of the beach when you get there. It is before the bathrooms. Barry rakes his part of the beach every day. For a free beach it is nice. Water is crystal clear and Barry is a great guy. There is no beach in Nassau that is great and I hate that the resorts charge you an arm and a leg to spend the day there. So Junkanoo is free and offers rentals. We have been going there for years. Got sick of paying a fortune out at Cable.

Junkanoo is walkable from the ship, takes about 20 minutes.

Junkanoo is fine, we like it there, no glass/trash where we go. Go to JYAH which is the first part of the beach when you get there. It is before the bathrooms. Barry rakes his part of the beach every day. For a free beach it is nice. Water is crystal clear and Barry is a great guy. There is no beach in Nassau that is great and I hate that the resorts charge you an arm and a leg to spend the day there. So Junkanoo is free and offers rentals. We have been going there for years. Got sick of paying a fortune out at Cable.

Junkanoo is walkable from the ship, takes about 20 minutes.

The first part of the beach is where we ran into all the glass. Maybe they had one heck of a party there the night before. ??? :) I really don't think so. The beach looked to not have been cleaned recently, or ever.

Thank you, everyone!

I appreciate the input. We have been to Melia and it is nice, but I can't fork out $35 for 6 people for a few hours this trip and my kids are broke college kids.

I think we'll give it a try, especially if there is $20 all you can drink out of a coconut deal! Living in Florida, we have access to beautiful beaches all the time, so we're really just looking a fun afternoon on a beach where all the kids can enjoy a cocktail.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...