What's the best way to avoid a sales pitch after a spa treatment?

javalsu

And this is why I get a bi monthly massage and facial at an incredible spa for only $59 monthly charge to my card plus a $20 to the esthetician and $20 to the masseuse when I go every other month Btw this is NOT a chain spa....it's a small business run by Eastern European trained people....the only ones I like for facials and massages btw

On the off months I get a 60 minute foot reflexology for $34. Plus $20. I have a package there too lol. For foot reflexology ...but never facials or massages...I prefer the Asian methods over the European.

They are just trained better and personal service is an art to them be it Eastern European or Asian training.....one must know where to get what they want and not get ripped off

I never go to dumpy places and all are clean and high end where pampering is an art to them.

Fwiw....I found both places initially through groupon lol

I would never get a one time spa service at the ridiculous ship prices. I get my relaxation pre cruise using my packages and I get 6 facials 6 massages and 6 reflexology plus a salt scrub or 2 or 3 per year for approx $1000 per annum plus tips

And my places do not even acknowledge that they have products to sell. They are on the shelf of course.....but never have they asked if I wanted to buy them

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wow, that's a great value. The only good spas I've been able to find in my area are around $150 for a 50 minute massage.

Tell them you are a therapist yourself, I am and I never get the hard sell and as a bonus you always get a great treatment .It's a difficult job with high targets but I prefer to tip well and leave guilt free and relaxed .Have a lovely holiday x

Wow, that's a great value. The only good spas I've been able to find in my area are around $150 for a 50 minute massage.

I have a deal similar to crusin6 too. A very nice sole proprietor type relaxing spa

I do a massage one month. Facial the next. I leave $20 normally. $25 at Christmas

The foot spas are great too and I go about 3/4 times a year.

I found my places thru the discount media places too.

Never use ships overpriced deals

I frequent a spa here at home and of course the pricing is cheaper then what is offered on a ship. However, I have no problem spoiling myself onboard.

There is always OBC to be used. ;)

Edited by janetz

I've had spa treatments onboard twice (on DCL though, but same issues persist). The first time I tried the "NO SALES PITCH" tact on the written information form, and I swear the therapist just took it as a personal challenge to prove me wrong. I think she would have tried to sell me the carpeting in the room if she could have.

The second time I decided to "just say no" if offered. However, when it was time to fill out the form, I had a small stroke of genius. Instead of answering the questions like "what are your problem areas?" "what is your stress level?" etc. honestly, I answered them all as though my day job was billionaire heiress with not a care in the world (problem areas? none! stress level? 0! etc. etc.). My therapist realized immediately that I didn't want any advice or sales pitches, and she let me leave with only one suggestion which I easily ignored.

Might be worth a shot; I know I'm going to try it again next time. :)

On my cruise last month after my massage she told me I needed their 900.00 cleanse product. I just laughed, had to tell her no 3 times. I love the idea of writing no on the questionnaire.

Oh I would love them to suggest a $900 product to me!!!

Not that I ever would even consider the ships Spa....but can you imagine how they would laugh and ridicule you after you left had you bought the junk?

I love the idea of writing on the preliminary questionnaire "No Sales Please or No Spa Product Presentations" I agree with the OP I don't want to have to wait for them and know it's coming even though I have no problem saying no. I'm going to try this next week!

Edited by adcc

One of the first things I always do on a cruise to get myself in vacation mode is get a massage.

After the massage, I have to deal with the awkward sales pitch trying to get me to buy hundreds of dollars of product that I don't need.

Which kinda erases the massage. Instead of leaving relaxed, I'm immediately placed in an awkward situation that I just want to get out of.

So.... what's the best way to avoid the sales pitch without being rude?

"I'll give you a nice tip if there's no post-massage sales pitch."

"I'll give you a nice tip if there's no post-massage sales pitch."

I thought about this too, but it straddles that line of rudeness. Basically, you're dangling cash in front of their face asking them to do something.

Like I said, the same thought crossed my mind, but I could see how the therapist would find this demeaning.

I've had spa treatments onboard twice (on DCL though, but same issues persist). The first time I tried the "NO SALES PITCH" tact on the written information form, and I swear the therapist just took it as a personal challenge to prove me wrong. I think she would have tried to sell me the carpeting in the room if she could have.

The second time I decided to "just say no" if offered. However, when it was time to fill out the form, I had a small stroke of genius. Instead of answering the questions like "what are your problem areas?" "what is your stress level?" etc. honestly, I answered them all as though my day job was billionaire heiress with not a care in the world (problem areas? none! stress level? 0! etc. etc.). My therapist realized immediately that I didn't want any advice or sales pitches, and she let me leave with only one suggestion which I easily ignored.

Might be worth a shot; I know I'm going to try it again next time. :)

I did this once too but verbally. The massage therapist was asking me about my work stress, do I have any pain, do I sleep enough, get enough water. I was like, no stress, I sleep like a baby, drink tons of water and everything is so great. And she never tried to sell me anything. It's harder after a facial than a massage. They really feel that you're going to need some face products to keep things up. I've learned my lesson, don't even pretend that you will consider it, otherwise they've got one foot in the door and will come at you relentlessly. I like all the suggestions to write it on the form NO SALES PITCH, I'm going to do that next time. I've honestly shied away from spa treatments because I find the sales pitch so uncomfortable.

This is a great thread, it's something that's bothered me very much for years and I always wish the cruise line spas would change their policy or lower the product prices. I wouldn't mind spending $40 or $50 on some stuff for fun, but I don't need $900 of anything. That's another whole cruise fare for goodness sake!

I am so glad the OP posted this. I was just thinking about the spa treatments and was thinking of ways to avoid that awkwardness at the end with the product pitch. I agree, that a simple 'no' should be enough, but what about the folks that are just so anxious and cannot relax because they have to deal with that at the end of the massage?

If you personally dont have a problem with saying no and walking away, then this whole post doesn't pertain to you. I totally understand the OP question because i feel the same way. I just want the massage, then i want to hear, "thank you, you can relax a bit and leave when you are ready".....and done!

I am so glad the OP posted this. I was just thinking about the spa treatments and was thinking of ways to avoid that awkwardness at the end with the product pitch. I agree, that a simple 'no' should be enough, but what about the folks that are just so anxious and cannot relax because they have to deal with that at the end of the massage?

If you personally dont have a problem with saying no and walking away, then this whole post doesn't pertain to you. I totally understand the OP question because i feel the same way. I just want the massage, then i want to hear, "thank you, you can relax a bit and leave when you are ready".....and done!

I agree...Been on many cruises....never have been to spa...but was thinking about it for our May cruise....I do get facials and massages sometimes here at home...and do enjoy it...but have avoided them on cruises....because I did not want to deal with the sales pressure...;)

Retail and spa treatments aren't even close to comparable. That's a terrible analogy.

Have you ever had a massage off of a cruise ship? Everything before during and after the massage is intended to made you as relaxed as possible.

A hard sell is not relaxing. It's annoying, and awkward. Mostly annoying.

To make your Nordstrom's analogy work, the masseuse would suggest a different treatment to book. That I would be fine with.

Something like, "I noticed you had a lot of tension in your back, I would recommend a bamboo massage as it's more deep tissue."

That would be fine, I would actually appreciate that.

What I get is some seaweed detox BS that costs over $400 and it essentially snake oil. And it's a hard sell. Not a suggestion, but an insistence.

But seriously, you should visit a real spa and see how it's supposed to be done. It's a much better experience, and it's automatic. I don't have to ask to not be annoyed.

Whenever a sales person insists you buy something, be tough and resist the sales pitch for something you know you don't want. No matter how insistent a salesperson gets, it is still your money being spent, and feel free to insist you WILL NOT buy whatever it is they insist you buy. I am nice and I say it with a smile, but a simple "No thank you, not interested." If they continue, I just say "Nope, still not interested, thank you any way." Be nice but stand firm, and they will get the message. They can't get the money out of you if you refuse to hand it over for something you clearly don't want. Of course writing "No sales pitch" on your spa intake form will do the trick in advance.

Edited by galensgrl

All I can say is that if a pax knows that the sales pitch at the end will cause them stress during your treatment and they won't be able to relax....

Then why are they booking a ships overpriced spa treatment in the first place?

Just get one at home before the cruise at a reasonable price at a spa that will value you as a return client!!!!

Edited by luvtheships

Ummm - isn't that all a tip is?!?

Not really.

A tip is something extra you throw in (especially since you're already charged an 18% gratuity) if you're happy with the service you got.

Actively threatening to take money away from them if they don't do what you say is demeaning.

There's a significant difference in saying.

"You did a great job, here's a little extra"

vs.

"If you don't do exactly what I say, I will not give you anything extra. No matter how good the service was"

One is a thank you, and the other is a threat.

I agree that a simple No Thank You is the best method. Remember that the therapists work very long contracts with long hours and little free time. I've been told by a therapist I have used that the management also sets quotas for them. And should they meet that quota they are given some extra time off. And of course they also make some extra money. So they are just trying to survive. Please, always remember that they are people trying to do their job and deserve to be treated with respect. By the way, some of the best treatments I've ever had have been aboard cruise ships.

I always put "no extra spa service desired" on my sign in card. Once the attendant persisted so I looked her in the eye and aid that if my SO saw this on our bill there would be h... to pay for me. That shopped the sales pitch. My SO never even looks at the bill on Day 7.

I always have issue with rude pushy sales folks in any form. So I firmly in this case say no thank you I am not interested in any of the products and will not pay those kind of prices even if I was. Some times they will go on after I say but I speak more firm I have not changed my mind and I will not. This is why begging at the ports is so lame. Folks have a hard time saying no. I do not I look them in the eye and say no. If they persist I just keep walking and ignore them. In my mind if you are not listening to me why should I listen to you.

Do you even life?

How about...

"No, thank you."

Followed shortly by...

"I'm really not interested, thank you."

And, if necessary, a more assertive...

"No."

This all works very well on other lines but not NCL. I was told that I only can have my roomcard back after the spa crew member would be finished with all she had to say. One of the many reasons I´m done with NCL. No chance to avoid the sales pitch and they turn into rude mode if after the sales pitch you leave without buying anything.

I've had many spa treatments on NCL. And never had any problem with saying no to a sales pitch. I've never been treated rudely for saying 'No' , Other than paying for my treatment I've never had a spa employee take my card! If I had been treated rudely I would complain to the Spa manager and at the service desk.

This all works very well on other lines but not NCL. I was told that I only can have my roomcard back after the spa crew member would be finished with all she had to say. One of the many reasons I´m done with NCL. No chance to avoid the sales pitch and they turn into rude mode if after the sales pitch you leave without buying anything.

Leave them with the roomcard then, mentioning you will simply be heading to reception to get it replaced (and a refund on the treatment for the inconvenience).