What's the best way to avoid a sales pitch after a spa treatment?

javalsu

One of the first things I always do on a cruise to get myself in vacation mode is get a massage.

After the massage, I have to deal with the awkward sales pitch trying to get me to buy hundreds of dollars of product that I don't need.

Which kinda erases the massage. Instead of leaving relaxed, I'm immediately placed in an awkward situation that I just want to get out of.

So.... what's the best way to avoid the sales pitch without being rude?

My DW will sit through the entire sales pitch, and then try to be very kind when she will say "No." In my case, I tell the spa attendant right at the beginning, "No sales pitch." Never have had a problem. My favorite is the hot rock massage, great on my back after a long flight or drive!

Sounds like you really need that spa treatment.

FWIW I've visited the spas on NCL and Princess ships at least a dozen times and a single "no thank you" was all that was necessary.

Good luck finding your non-rude zen place. I mean it.

I've had two successful approaches:

1. write on the pre-treatment questionnaire that I'm not interested in purchasing any product

2. If the aesthetician tries to start a conversation about product, I tell them I can't use scented products. I work in health care and must have scent-free or natural scents in everything I use. That stopped the conversation quickly :)

ITA that a great massage can be negated by a sales pitch. I prefer to lie quietly for a few minutes before slinking out of the spa. I'll even prepay so I don't get out of my zen state!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I indicate on the questionnaire that I like a quiet massage and that I prefer no sales pitch. Have never had to listen to a sales pitch and always tip the therapist over and above. I do not see it as being rude....I see it as clearly setting my expectations for the service that I will experience.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I do not see how stating your desire to have no sales pitch is rude. I do not receive them on land, why should you have to deal with it at sea.

I 100% agree with you. I think it's absurd that I even have to ask for this. But really, all I want to do is avoid annoying masseuse before the massage.

I know that unless I'm a jerk, it's not out of line to request not to have a hard sale after a massage. But people are people, and humans get upset. Especially if I affect their quota for the week. Which is why I'm looking for the best way to ask without setting myself up with an angry masseuse.

Of course, it goes without saying that they are all professionals, and I shouldn't expect anything less than a professional experience.

I am in complete agreement with the majority on here would said to make it clear on the questionnaire you fell out at the beginning. At the top I always put in block print NO SALES PLEASE and like others have not had any sales pitches during or after my treatments. I don't think it is rude at all to let them know beforehand if you are not interested. In fact I think the therapist might appreciate the heads up before they go through the whole spiel. It is no doubt a requirement of them that does not mean they like doing it.

Rochelle

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

One of the first things I always do on a cruise to get myself in vacation mode is get a massage.

After the massage, I have to deal with the awkward sales pitch trying to get me to buy hundreds of dollars of product that I don't need.

Which kinda erases the massage. Instead of leaving relaxed, I'm immediately placed in an awkward situation that I just want to get out of.

Uh maybe simply tell them up front you don't want a sales picth. Is theer something wrong with honesty?

I think it's great to be able to stave off the sales pitch at the very beginning like that. I stopped using the spa because the hard, hard sell was so unpleasant, and it's very painful for me to keep saying no. I always tip generously, because I know their income probably depends on their commissions. Once I escaped the masseuse by saying that I couldn't spend all that extra money without asking my husband first. Unfortunately that just elicited phone calls later.

I'm amazed by people (women mostly) who can't deliver a simple "No thank you" without great angst. It's ok to say "no" without offering an excuse. It need not be rude.

It may be helpful to decide a response beforehand and practice saying it with sincerity and conviction. In front of a mirror, practice a smiling face while saying "No, thank you. I'm not interested."

I've never had anyone pursue the issue once I said this. Maybe because I don't waffle and say it with a smile and without an apologetic tone.

Just tell them you don't want anything and if they go on about it then be rude and tell them that you are removing the gratuity. You are paying them for a service, not a sales pitch.

Just curious... What do you do when you shop at Nordstroms for a dress and they suggest a scarf to go with it? Or when your waiter suggests a dessert at the end of the meal? This might be hard to understand but some guests might actually want the products used during a treatment.

Retail and spa treatments aren't even close to comparable. That's a terrible analogy.

Have you ever had a massage off of a cruise ship? Everything before during and after the massage is intended to made you as relaxed as possible.

A hard sell is not relaxing. It's annoying, and awkward. Mostly annoying.

To make your Nordstrom's analogy work, the masseuse would suggest a different treatment to book. That I would be fine with.

Something like, "I noticed you had a lot of tension in your back, I would recommend a bamboo massage as it's more deep tissue."

That would be fine, I would actually appreciate that.

What I get is some seaweed detox BS that costs over $400 and it essentially snake oil. And it's a hard sell. Not a suggestion, but an insistence.

But seriously, you should visit a real spa and see how it's supposed to be done. It's a much better experience, and it's automatic. I don't have to ask to not be annoyed.

Thanks for checking in. Yes, I have a massage "off ship" approximately every 2 months at a spa. I am puzzled as the why you would subject yourself a "seaweed detox BS". That doesn't sound fun at all. Namaste!

I assume you're kidding, but just in case. That's not what I got, that's what NCL tried to sell me.

Retail and spa treatments aren't even close to comparable. That's a terrible analogy.

Have you ever had a massage off of a cruise ship? Everything before during and after the massage is intended to made you as relaxed as possible.

A hard sell is not relaxing. It's annoying, and awkward. Mostly annoying.

To make your Nordstrom's analogy work, the masseuse would suggest a different treatment to book. That I would be fine with.

Something like, "I noticed you had a lot of tension in your back, I would recommend a bamboo massage as it's more deep tissue."

That would be fine, I would actually appreciate that.

What I get is some seaweed detox BS that costs over $400 and it essentially snake oil. And it's a hard sell. Not a suggestion, but an insistence.

But seriously, you should visit a real spa and see how it's supposed to be done. It's a much better experience, and it's automatic. I don't have to ask to not be annoyed.

And this is why I get a bi monthly massage and facial at an incredible spa for only $59 monthly charge to my card plus a $20 to the esthetician and $20 to the masseuse when I go every other month Btw this is NOT a chain spa....it's a small business run by Eastern European trained people....the only ones I like for facials and massages btw

On the off months I get a 60 minute foot reflexology for $34. Plus $20. I have a package there too lol. For foot reflexology ...but never facials or massages...I prefer the Asian methods over the European.

They are just trained better and personal service is an art to them be it Eastern European or Asian training.....one must know where to get what they want and not get ripped off

I never go to dumpy places and all are clean and high end where pampering is an art to them.

Fwiw....I found both places initially through groupon lol

I would never get a one time spa service at the ridiculous ship prices. I get my relaxation pre cruise using my packages and I get 6 facials 6 massages and 6 reflexology plus a salt scrub or 2 or 3 per year for approx $1000 per annum plus tips

And my places do not even acknowledge that they have products to sell. They are on the shelf of course.....but never have they asked if I wanted to buy them

Sent from my iPad using Forums