Dress in Iceland

silkman

We are going to be in Iceland in the middle of July. We are going to spend a few days in Reykjavik prior to the cruise and will also stop in Isafjordur and Akureyri. I know the high temp will be in the high 50s and the low in the low 40's That is what it was this year, anyway..(yes, I know it could be very changeable).

Any suggestions on clothing(men and women)(besides layering).

Also, as far as dress on ship...would summer clothing be more appropriate?

I do know that restaurants can get cool due to the AC.

Thanks,

Richard

Sorry. Layers. We cruised to Iceland in July you need to be prepared for shifts in temperature. You also need some warmer clothes on board. You will want to be on deck to see the magnificent scenery. We wore silk longjohns on a few occasions and a thermal layer. You will not wear summer clothes imo. Moderate weight clothes long sleeves and long pants will be appropriate

Edited by bitob

We are going to be in Iceland in the middle of July. We are going to spend a few days in Reykjavik prior to the cruise and will also stop in Isafjordur and Akureyri. I know the high temp will be in the high 50s and the low in the low 40's That is what it was this year, anyway..(yes, I know it could be very changeable).

Any suggestions on clothing(men and women)(besides layering).

Also, as far as dress on ship...would summer clothing be more appropriate?

I do know that restaurants can get cool due to the AC.

You already know the most important thing anyone call tell you: layering.

My other suggestion is to pack clothes that are thin yet effective. For example, bring polartec quarter zips instead of sweat shirt material tops. The first delivers plenty of warm with light weight and fast drying time. The latter is bulkier and slow to dry.

I know women's clothing made with Tencel is widely available, but I don't know about men's clothing from the same fiber. Bring anything Tencel you can find. The fabric is wicking in case you get an unseasonably warm day yet Tencel is quite warm for its light weight.

Finally, don't forget accessories like a hat (preferably one with windblock), a scarf, and gloves. These three small and lightweight items can extend the comfort range of an ultralight down jacket eliminating the need to take a big, bulky jacket.

Catalogs like LL Bean, REI, Eastern Mountain Sports, and Travelsmith will be your friend if these things are not available locally for you.

This summer Akureyri was cold and windy. They cancelled most of the whale watching tours due to rough seas the day we were there.

Reykjavik -- was balmy one day and cold and wet the next.

You really need to pack for 2 seasons -- summer and winter.

I actually like the Pategonia line of cloths for our cold expedition cruises.

Edited by PaulMCO