Promenade Koningsdam

sheba2008

Perhaps this screen shot from the Koningsdam video on the microsite will be of assistance? The areas in the red circle seem to me to be more wide open than the photo of the Celebrity ship, above. The two little arrows point to the areas beyond the life boats.

Koningsdam%20Promenade%201_zpsk6rehp38.jpg

What do folks think?

I think you have to be right.
That's not just speculation on my part. I saw it stated recently by someone who would definitely know. I thought it was in Capt Albert's blog, but when I went looking to get an exact quote I couldn't find it, so I'm not sure now where I saw it.

What do folks think?

I don't see any lounge chairs. :)

I don't see any lounge chairs. :)

Nor do I. This aspect is frustrating because I think we are mostly seeing the painted surface of the Beethoven Deck (Upper Promenade) verandahs. I suppose it's only really useful for suggesting a fair distance between the tenders and the hull, and that's what folks are hoping for, I think.

Edited by Cruiser Bruiser

I'm confident is all about bottom line. I current lifeboat configuration there is a big part of one deck with obstructed view cabins. These cabins are obviously not "prime" real estate and usually are deeply discounted or "gifted" to those on a guarantee.

Koningsdam config (like many other lines) allows unobstructed views from all cabins.

I got an email this morning advertising "introductory season" Europe Koningsdam pricing for 14 days starting at $999. With prices like this they really need to maximize revenue potential. Open promenades are wonderful but at the cost of deeply discounted staterooms due to obstructed view seems logical which would win.

This is my understanding also. The design eliminates "obstructed view" cabins.

Nor do I. This aspect is frustrating because I think we are mostly seeing the painted surface of the Beethoven Deck (Upper Promenade) verandahs. I suppose it's only really useful for suggesting a fair distance between the tenders and the hull, and that's what folks are hoping for, I think.

I feel like a heel.... bringing bad news.

Here we go.

That model of KODM is just that... a small model. Not much detail at all. I fear... that nice brown 'prom deck' is not a prom deck at all. What you have here is balcony cabins on Deck 4... immediately above the tenders. Looks like a prom deck.... because the detail on the model does not show all the dividers between each balcony.

... because the detail on the model does not show all the dividers between each balcony.
Thanks for that! I thought something was funny when I didn't see dividers, but didn't suspect it was just a picture of a model! ;)

Since the new Panamax beam is 180 ft, it's a shame that they didn't add another 15 or 20 feet to K'dam's beam and put the the lifeboats and a catwalk to access them down on deck 2 ... and keep a traditional HAL Promenade on deck 3.

I feel like a heel.... bringing bad news.

Here we go.

That model of KODM is just that... a small model. Not much detail at all. I fear... that nice brown 'prom deck' is not a prom deck at all. What you have here is balcony cabins on Deck 4... immediately above the tenders. Looks like a prom deck.... because the detail on the model does not show all the dividers between each balcony.

No worries, I think we are saying the exact same thing. My quote: "I think we are mostly seeing the painted surface of the Beethoven Deck (Upper Promenade) verandahs." Deck 4 is the Beethoven Deck.

>SNIP<

Huge area at the stern:

26opl.jpg

jtl513 thanks for posting that picture :) My first cruise was on the previous Westerdam, and I sort-of remember the Promenade deck on it looking like that. But since my memory is starting to fade, I wasn't certain. Seeing that picture of the P-dam makes me more sure of my recollection :D

Since the new Panamax beam is 180 ft, it's a shame that they didn't add another 15 or 20 feet to K'dam's beam and put the the lifeboats and a catwalk to access them down on deck 2 ... and keep a traditional HAL Promenade on deck 3.

Wouldn't that be a considerable amount of cost for non-revenue producing space?

Never mind that... ALL... repeat, ALL balconies could at least three to five wider than what they are now. They don't hang over the side of the ship... unless you count the balconies that now do not block the view of the boats... but they would still not see over the boats. Pity... air is free... apart from a but of extra steel to make the balcony wider.

Here is a deck Plan of the newbuild for Carnival... due April/May.

Easy to say new monster ships don't have Prom Decks... well, some don't and some do!

The new CARNIVAL VISTA has TWO Prom decks. One goes all the way around, the second goes around 'almost'.

Looks like very good decks... and lots of public rooms on those decks as well! I have to admit that there seems to be a lot there to offer.

Carnival's website shows several food/beverage outlets on the Promenade deck wide areas- looks like very little to no space for loungers. I'm betting will be very much like NCL's. Mezzanine deck promenade looks to be at the lifeboats- likely for lifeboat loading and probably blocked view.

Edited by frankc98376

Carnival's website shows several food/beverage outlets on the Promenade deck wide areas- looks like very little to no space for loungers. I'm betting will be very much like NCL's. Mezzanine deck promenade looks to be at the lifeboats- likely for lifeboat loading and probably blocked view.

Most of the promenade deck on deck 5 on the "Vista" will be closed off for the general public until 5 p.m. (Havana Cabana area) and there will be restaurant seating / outlets on the same deck midships.

A finished picture, minus some padding around the lifeboat. This is the narrowest area, appears to be almost all the way aft.

That picture is from Capt. Albert's blog and that is protected by copyright. You should at least give appropriate credit.

Edited by Mary Ellen

That picture is from Capt. Albert's blog and that is protected by copyright. You should at least give appropriate credit.

You must've caught me me edit. I always credit Captain Albert, he is a saint to me.

A finished picture posted by Captain Albert today, minus some padding around the lifeboat. This is the narrowest area, appears to be almost all the way aft.

Looks like those of us who adore spending time on the Promenade Deck better adjust our expectations :) :D I'll do my best to adapt :D

There are two promenade decks. One for boat embarkation areas... probably similar as KODM.... the difference is the upper promenade deck. It is a very wide deck... granted no loungers that I can see, but the deck will be quite useable for sure and plenty of seating along the deck... with bars and restaurants. I'd rather this than the ugly corridor on the KODM. At least the Carnival Vista will have beautiful fro walking and a great view.

A finished picture posted by Captain Albert today, minus some padding around the lifeboat. This is the narrowest area, appears to be almost all the way aft.

I hope it gets better. On the NA in Dec, we tried several times to have a casual stroll around the Promenade deck, only to give up as it was clear that we were in the way of the joggers and runners. Can't imagine taking a leisurely stroll around a narrow deck.

I have sailed all of the Celebrity S-class ships. While much of the promenade is obstructed by life boats, there is a section mid-ship that is open to the sea with loungers. It sure isn't a beautiful as other HAL promenades, though. In fact there is no comparison. But in reviewing everything I can find about Koningsdam, sadly, I'm not seeing an area on the promenade where loungers or chairs would go. :(

On the S-class ships, the chairs are located where the Grand Dutch Cafe is located on the starboard side of the sip and where guest relations is on the port side. I'm guessing HAL will not be placing chairs in these locations. It's very, very sad. But who knows...maybe they will.

There really are a lot of things I really like about the ship and we're excited to sail her next January. I'll wait until we actually get to see her before making any decisions on what we think.

On the S-class ships, the chairs are located where the Grand Dutch Cafe is located on the starboard side of the sip and where guest relations is on the port side. I'm guessing HAL will not be placing chairs in these locations. It's very, very sad. But who knows...maybe they will.

Anne, You are right. The Grand Dutch is to starboard side. On the port side you can see Reception Desk. Immediately behind of the Desk is the office.... where the glassed area is. A bit if a wasted area to be used an office!