existing condition

deejay6870

After all, we are talking insurance with all it's loopholes and double meanings. Someone else may have a better understanding, but this is the way I understand it:

*Insurance must be purchased within 15 days of the reservation {with open onboard bookings, within 15 days of placing that booking with a TA for a specific cruise} to be covered for existing conditions.

*An Existing Condition is a health issue that the insured currently has and has had for a period of time {chronic}. I think there are some restrictions on medication changes. The patient must have been on the same meds for a number of months prior to traveling to be covered. I think this proves the condition is stabilized - therefore not as great a risk of cancellation.

*With Princess Travel Care Gold, 90% of the fare will be reimbursed. With regular Princess Travel Care, 70% (?) is reimbursable. Note: unless air and hotel are booked thru Princess, these costs are not included in their coverage.

*With other outside insurance agencies, all travel expenses are considered to be covered, but the reimbursement percentages may be different from Princess.

I think that sounds about right to me Gloria

One thing I have learned though about travel insurance is that every company is different and that this is one area where it could be really costly to assume anything.

I like Travel Guard and Princess/Princess Gold because, to me, they're easy to understand and I have not heard bad things about. Others may like any one of a number of companies out there.

On the insurance contract Ts and Cs (terms and conditions) I've looked at in detail, pre-existing condition is sometimes referred to as one in which you have actually received medical treatment for in the 4 months prior to the purchase of the insurance. When it is worded this way, you may have a diagnsoed medical condition (for example, a chronic medical condition such as Lupus), but if you have not had medical treatment or had to take medication for it in that time frame, it is not considered a pre-existing medical condition and therefore a "flare" would be covered, regardless of whether the insurance had a pre-existing clause or not.

The only one that has had a major change recently is CSA Luxe and I double checked this with them. If you purchase this policy within 15 days of final payment, pre-existing conditions are covered. And like the previous poster said, it's conditions treated within 4 months of travel.

As an added note to what Boo Boo said; many policies waive the pre-existing conditions exclusion if the policy is purchased within a certain number of days from the FIRST payment, meaning your deposit. CSA has recently changed this to be fromFINAL payment on their policies. Note that not all policies provide this waiver; most companies have at least one policy that does not waive pre-existing conditions for a certain number of days prior to your payment date, including most of the cruiseline policies.

The only one that has had a major change recently is CSA Luxe and I double checked this with them. If you purchase this policy within 15 days of final payment, pre-existing conditions are covered. And like the previous poster said, it's conditions treated within 4 months of travel.

Two errors here:

#1 The new CSA plans will cover pre-existing conditions if the plan is purchased no later than 24-hours after making the final payment on the trip.

#2 CSA's definition of a pre-existing condition is one for which you were treated in the 180-day period prior to the date you purchase the policy -- not the date of travel.

To the best of my knowledge, for all plans the "pre" in pre-existing refers to the policy purchase date, not the travel date.

Archived