Zaandam Cabins on Lower Promenade

ravinblue

We are in the process of booking an Alaska cruise on Zaandam. I find the nomenclature of the decks confusing - shouldn't the Promenade deck be the one where people "promenade", i.e. walk. The deck plan though makes it pretty clear that the walking deck would be the lower promenade, deck 3. For the outside cabins on deck 3, how bad is the privacy issue? I mean, if I have to keep the curtains closed all the time, I might consider paying extra to not be on deck 3 or paying less and just getting an inside cabin.

Thanks,

Frank

On the S- & R-class ships one "promenades" (<---lower case) on the Lower Promenade (<---upper case).

Doesn't have to make sense---it's the way it is.

Edited by RuthC

I found that when it got dark outside I closed the curtains, so we couldn't see anything visible that was lit up at night.

I like the Lower Promenade deck rooms for their proximity to the outside but they do have their drawbacks: they are a bit smaller than Main deck OVs, you have to close the curtains when it's dark out so you won't see any of the nighttime shore lights, drill rigs, other ships etc., and you don't want to get one under the galley!

I think next time if I have the opportunity I will go with a Main deck OV and enjoy being closer to the water, or if you want to go for an inside, (been there, done that) it's great if you can get one on Lower Promenade and be close to the outside, as long as it's not under the galley!! Happy planning, m--

• 5 weeks later...

Could anyone speak to the inside L category (Zaandam)? I'm considering a cabin that on the deck plans looks like it's beneath the lower dining room. Will much noise penetrate in the late evening or early morning?

If we upgrade to ocean view, what might be a good choice? Do the windows get covered with sea spray? I would want to see the water clearly.

Could anyone speak to the inside L category (Zaandam)? I'm considering a cabin that on the deck plans looks like it's beneath the lower dining room. Will much noise penetrate in the late evening or early morning?

If we upgrade to ocean view, what might be a good choice? Do the windows get covered with sea spray? I would want to see the water clearly.

There is very little to make any kind of noise in the dining room at any time of day. A cabin under a carpeted room like that should be plenty quiet for sleeping.

An outside cabin on Dolphin or Main Decks could get some sea spray on the windows. This would be especially true for the more forward cabins, or in rough seas.

On our Zaandam February Antarctica voyage we had an ocean view cabin on the Dolphin Deck Midship and it was quiet and nice to have an ocean view to wake up to in the morning. Sea Spray was never an issue. Normally we travel using inside cabins (quite satisfied) but the Guarantee upgraded us to ocean view.