Pool Questions - Independence

It's been a while since I sailed on a Freedom-class ship!

Does anyone know how deep the pools are on the Indy (both the 2 main pools and the solarium pool)? I'm somewhat vertically challenged and a non-swimmer. I made the mistake of getting in a pool on the Explorer that was too deep for me to stand, and had to eventually tuck my tail between my legs and ask people to move away from the edges so I could "walk" my way over to the ladder with my hands on the edge! Talk about embarrassing! [emoji12] Will I be confined to the shallow ankle-water at the edges of the pool, or is one of them shallow enough for me to stand/float around in?

On another note - are they saltwater or fresh water? Heated?

Where are the towel stands located? Is there one in the solarium or will I have to go to the main pool?

Thanks in advance!

I'm 5'2" (and 3/4";)), so from one vertically challenged individual to another, the Solarium pool was pretty deep for me. As soon as you step off the entrance stairs, it had a steep drop and I had to doggy paddle to get to either side. There is a metal railing just under the lip of the tile edges so I was able to hang on and kick to stay afloat. I found that the majority of people didn't leave the edges as it was pretty deep for most. Everyone was very considerate when people were getting in and out of the pool if they needed to use the railing - I wouldn't feel embarrassed at all!!

There was a towel station on the starboard side just outside of the solarium doors (as of my sailing in September, not sure if it has changed). FYI, I almost wiped out walking from the pool area in the Solarium to the towel station (more times than I'd like to admit) so take caution and wear rubber soles.... :s

Edited by LilD

It's been a while since I sailed on a Freedom-class ship!

Does anyone know how deep the pools are on the Indy (both the 2 main pools and the solarium pool)? I'm somewhat vertically challenged and a non-swimmer. I made the mistake of getting in a pool on the Explorer that was too deep for me to stand, and had to eventually tuck my tail between my legs and ask people to move away from the edges so I could "walk" my way over to the ladder with my hands on the edge! Talk about embarrassing! [emoji12] Will I be confined to the shallow ankle-water at the edges of the pool, or is one of them shallow enough for me to stand/float around in?

On another note - are they saltwater or fresh water? Heated?

Where are the towel stands located? Is there one in the solarium or will I have to go to the main pool?

Thanks in advance!

The pools are fresh water on Indy.

Every pool has the depth clearly marked on the pool.

The Solarium pool on Independence is deep but I think it's 4 feet at the steps. The steps are wide so I usually stand right near the bottom or sit on them - and there is a lip to hold onto and a handrail on steps that goes right to the bottom step. The steps are so much better than a ladder. Enjoy! :)

The only towel stand that I saw open last week was near the main pool.

I liked the layout of the pools on this ship. There is a large ankle-deep area of water to sit in around the deeper areas. For some reason, I'm thinking the main pool is 5'4", but I stood in the pool (on my tippy toes) and my head was above water. I'm 5'3".

We did not go in the Solarium pool, so I don't know the depth. But there was also a shallow area around it.

Have a great cruise!

Will I be confined to the shallow ankle-water at the edges of the pool, or is one of them shallow enough for me to stand/float around in?

In the Solarium pool, there's a little bar with underwater seats beneath the bridge - you'd be comfortable there if you could edge your way to it from the side.

Just looked at a picture and the sign by the bridge say's depth 1.7m or 5' 7''. a sign under the bridge say's it is 2.1 m or 6' 11''.

Main pool has a sign 1.3 m or 4' 6'' unsure if deep end or shallow end and a sign that looks like it is 1.6 or 5'6''.

Edited by BARNET

The solarium pool area is lovely. The steps going into the pool are great. The pool itself isn't heated and TOO DEEP for non swimmers. I am 5'7 and had to hold my chin up to stand. I'm not a swimmer either and was VERY disappointed that I couldn't relax and enjoy the water. I will bring a (small) floaty the next time.

Edited by fourkittys
misspelled word

Thanks so much for all of your replies!

I'm so disappointed to hear that the pools are all non-heated and too deep for me! Was hoping to be able to use them on my upcoming transatlantic cruise. I guess I'll be sitting in the shallow part on the edge with my feet in instead! Nothing like a wet bum while being dry everywhere else! Lol!

You still have time to learn how to tread water. You don't need to learn to swim. Treading water will get you across the pool to the edge, and keep you safe. We found the water temp comfortable when we were last on this ship in 2014.

Thanks so much for all of your replies!

I'm so disappointed to hear that the pools are all non-heated and too deep for me! Was hoping to be able to use them on my upcoming transatlantic cruise. I guess I'll be sitting in the shallow part on the edge with my feet in instead! Nothing like a wet bum while being dry everywhere else! Lol!

Freedom definately heats the port pool. Almost the same temp as the Jacuzzi by the bar

I do believe I'm capable of treading water but I still wouldn't want to put myself in a position of having to do so. Safer to stay where I know I can touch the bottom comfortably.

Interesting that the Freedom heated one pool! I wonder if the Indy does as well... I know the Freedom has more upgrades than the Indy so perhaps they are different in that sense.

Freedom definately heats the port pool. Almost the same temp as the Jacuzzi by the bar

I dont believe they heat the pools at port... they simply fill the pools with water that is in port and therefore much warmer than water in the open ocean. I believe the pools are drained/refilled every day and as such port days are much warmer than sea days....

I dont believe they heat the pools at port... they simply fill the pools with water that is in port and therefore much warmer than water in the open ocean. I believe the pools are drained/refilled every day and as such port days are much warmer than sea days....

Go on Freedom a lot. Definitely heat the port pool. Considerably warmer from one to the next. Like I said earlier, almost as hot as the big tub in the middle

Go on Freedom a lot. Definitely heat the port pool. Considerably warmer from one to the next. Like I said earlier, almost as hot as the big tub in the middle

Is the port-side pool by any chance the one that is more shallow? Lol! (And not the one they do the sports in?)

Is the port-side pool by any chance the one that is more shallow? Lol! (And not the one they do the sports in?)

The port side pool is the one with two hot tubs attached. It tends to draw more kids since they jump off of it :o

Edited by John&LaLa