Maya Chen, Blue Kay or Tropicante?

gambler

Hey, you can't go wrong with Steve at Tropicante. I personally like Jaime's seafood at NK but Steve has good cooks and you won't starve or send things back at all. So yes Tropicante might be cheaper depending on how much you think you'd eat or drink over the time you're there.

Taxi fare is $3 down/$2 back per person. Tram is the same. Both go down the same street, Huachunango. Taxi comes back the other street, Sardina. Both are one way each way. A taxi driver if they speak English reasonably well, might be able to point out things on the way down and the way back. But if looking at the back of buildings and car entrances isn't what you had in mind, not much of a tour. My suggestion would be to take a taxi versus the tram and have the driver drop you at the lighthouse and then you can walk down to Tropicante or Nohoch Kay and see the entire malecon.

And you could walk on past Nohoch Kay later and even go past Macho's Bar and walk down the rest of the village on Sardina until it becomes a coast road past the municipal pier. Several small hotels and condos are along that stretch. Been a while since I did that and I could see more buildings up but didn't have time to dodge traffic (no sidewalks on that portion).

I like that idea. I take it Tropicante is within easy walking distance from the lighthouse? I don't mind walking, but my son is spoiled and will complain before too long.

I really can't decide between the two at the moment.

We reserved a lounger with Tropicante last year.(No charge for the reservation) When we arrived around 9:30 AM all loungers were gone. Steve gave us a chair at a table, pretty far back from the water. The place was very crowded. We bought a drink and decided to go back to the ship. If 2 ships are in port this might not be the experience you are looking for. Just an FYI.

We reserved a lounger with Tropicante last year.(No charge for the reservation) When we arrived around 9:30 AM all loungers were gone. Steve gave us a chair at a table, pretty far back from the water. The place was very crowded. We bought a drink and decided to go back to the ship. If 2 ships are in port this might not be the experience you are looking for. Just an FYI.

This would be the case for any of the more popular beach clubs along the malecon if there are 3 ships in. And sometimes for 2 larger ships, especially on a sunny day. You could have 1) left the ship earlier if it was in port at 7 or 8A 2) gone next door to El Faro same beach, similar food or 3) walked along the malecon to any other place. But I can understand your frustration if you had already reserved a lounger or two and had a copy of the confirmation in hand.

Wasn't complaining, just wanted to let her know that a confirmation isn't set in stone that she would get a lounger. The first time we were there we did a snorkeling trip from vendors on the beach. This time we knew we wanted to just relax so we decided to reserve ahead of time based on the good reviews. We considered looking further down the beach for a less crowded spot but decided to hang around the port area and then head back to the ship. Should always have a plan B when cruising. On a 1/2016 FOTS cruise had to have a plan B on 3 of 4 ports.

Crewsweeper, thank you for all your help. I went ahead and emailed Steve. Of course, I don't think I have too much to worry about. It appears we will be the only ship in town that day anyway.

I do have another question. Generally we have bought liquor to take home in Cozumel from one of the shops in Puerto Maya as we have always sailed Carnival. Do you know if there are better options in Costa Maya or should we just wait until we get to Cozumel again? This time we will be on Norwegian and it looks like we are scheduled to dock downtown, basically where we have never been.

Edited by bruadhin

I'd say Cozumel is your better bet. You can go to either of the large mercados there, Mega or Chedruai or the Covi Liquor store as well as places downtown or at Punta Langosta where you'll dock. Much better selection opportunities.

Costa Maya has a "Tequila Store" outside the port area and there's at least one place inside the port. So think typical port prices.

I'd say Cozumel is your better bet. You can go to either of the large mercados there, Mega or Chedruai or the Covi Liquor store as well as places downtown or at Punta Langosta where you'll dock. Much better selection opportunities.

Costa Maya has a "Tequila Store" outside the port area and there's at least one place inside the port. So think typical port prices.

Thanks again. I heard back from Steve and we are all set. He did mention that Jamie is no longer at Nohoch Kay. Apparently he had a disagreement with a partner a few months ago. He did say Jamie is still in town and exploring other opportunities.

Thanks again. I heard back from Steve and we are all set. He did mention that Jamie is no longer at Nohoch Kay. Apparently he had a disagreement with a partner a few months ago. He did say Jamie is still in town and exploring other opportunities.

It looks like we're gonna be on the same cruise! I was thinking about the Tropicante for my family and after these reviews, I think I'm gonna go ahead and email Steve!

It looks like we're gonna be on the same cruise! I was thinking about the Tropicante for my family and after these reviews, I think I'm gonna go ahead and email Steve!

Yeah, Crewsweeper really sold me on Steve. Also, Steve seems to have a high opinion of Crewsweeper. Said he is going to get him to eat at his place of these days. Apparently people think it is just Tex-Mex and he says his menu is more than just that, some things he feels are unique to the area.

Based on the advice of many, we are going to leave the port and hail a cab to take us to Tropicante. No need to pay MORE for a tram that has multiple stops and may not even take us directly to Tropicante.

Also his website says a 3 oz pour for 16 oz drinks. That is a pretty good drink, particularly at his prices.

Speaking of the cruise, are you on the roll call? I have posted there, although I don't recall seeing anything about a meet and greet. I might attend this time, I never have before.

Yeah, Crewsweeper really sold me on Steve. Also, Steve seems to have a high opinion of Crewsweeper. Said he is going to get him to eat at his place of these days. Apparently people think it is just Tex-Mex and he says his menu is more than just that, some things he feels are unique to the area.

Based on the advice of many, we are going to leave the port and hail a cab to take us to Tropicante. No need to pay MORE for a tram that has multiple stops and may not even take us directly to Tropicante.

Also his website says a 3 oz pour for 16 oz drinks. That is a pretty good drink, particularly at his prices.

Speaking of the cruise, are you on the roll call? I have posted there, although I don't recall seeing anything about a meet and greet. I might attend this time, I never have before.

I joined the roll call yesterday. There was a post back in January about a meet and greet but the poster hasn't added to the thread since. I'm new to CC so I haven't done a meet and greet either but I think it sounds fun so hopefully we hear from the original poster again soon!

I have a few questions, maybe you can answer.

I have my kids going with me and the wife, is Tropicante kid friendly. Not even kid friendly but do they frown upon kids?

My wife likes getting the massages on the beach, is there anywhere close to Tropicante for her? I personally find it gross.

And a liquor question. If I buy liquor at a port what happens to it. Do they take it until our cruise is over?

Whoa. That's news! I know he was working with the developers on the condo complex between NK and Pez Quadro to set up a restaurant on the ground floor. Hope that works for him. Or maybe he can team with Fernando and bring some business acumen to Fernando's brand. Otherwise, I'll recommend he head back up north and try Holbox Island.:D

Yeah, Crewsweeper really sold me on Steve. Also, Steve seems to have a high opinion of Crewsweeper. Said he is going to get him to eat at his place of these days. Apparently people think it is just Tex-Mex and he says his menu is more than just that, some things he feels are.

Thank Steve for the complement. Much appreciated. And I promise I'll stop in and eat there next time I'm in CM which may not be until 2018, or late 2017.:(

With Jaime no longer at NK, and it sounds like they're taking walkins based on a review or post I saw last week, we'll probably not go there.

I have a few questions, maybe you can answer.

I have my kids going with me and the wife, is Tropicante kid friendly. Not even kid friendly but do they frown upon kids?

My wife likes getting the massages on the beach, is there anywhere close to Tropicante for her? I personally find it gross.

And a liquor question. If I buy liquor at a port what happens to it. Do they take it until our cruise is over?

Tropicante is kid friendly..Have seen them there each time we have been there. You can get a massage right at Tropicante..They have massage tables right there on the beach. When you reboard the ship, they will take your liquor purchase from you to pick up or deliver to your cabin on the last day.

Tropicante is kid friendly..Have seen them there each time we have been there. You can get a massage right at Tropicante..They have massage tables right there on the beach. When you reboard the ship, they will take your liquor purchase from you to pick up or deliver to your cabin on the last day.

Thank you Jamon, Tropicante it is!

We are two middle aged ladies just wanting a nice beach to swim in (no snorkeling) nice lounge chairs to relax with shade, good local food and drinks. As an example, we always go to Paradise Beach in Cozumel.

I inquired on booking Maya Chen and this was part of the response I got back.

"We are just a very simple funky beach hang out. We don't have pristine water since we all keep our waters natural. Just like it should be. We clean our beach of seagrass everyday. The Costa Maya Coastline is a turtle preserve. If you need to have a Disney created beach, stay at the Port, or go into town. In town, they use dredges and tractors to make it look better. If you want the real Caribbean experience, then our place is for you."

Will this work for us or would we be better off at one of the other places? which one and why? Guess I am nervous about safety and following directions to get to the other two.

Thanks, any help is much appreciated.

i suggest yaya beach club http://www.yayabeach.com/home.html we went there for $2 cab ride plus $30 per person all inclusive. it was great. we had our own umbrella, beach chairs and a waitress that can by very often. we will go back if we are there again. nice and quiet too.

i suggest yaya beach club http://www.yayabeach.com/home.html we went there for $2 cab ride plus $30 per person all inclusive. it was great. we had our own umbrella, beach chairs and a waitress that can by very often. we will go back if we are there again. nice and quiet too.

Unfortunately that price does not include food, a must for us.

• 4 weeks later...

We were just there the second week in april..Bucket of beer is 15.00 for 6....they are 12 oz bottles. Don't know about Blue Kay, but Tropicante is right downtown and is only a 2.00 cab ride and 10 minutes at most......Massages are 30.00 for one hour......go enjoy...

We were just there the second week in april..Bucket of beer is 15.00 for 6....they are 12 oz bottles. Don't know about Blue Kay, but Tropicante is right downtown and is only a 2.00 cab ride and 10 minutes at most......Massages are 30.00 for one hour......go enjoy...

How much is the food Tropicante? I didn't see a menu posted anywhere.

We were also there the second week of April. We were there April 11th. We had a great time! The beach was beautiful, clean, and clear! We enjoyed delicious food as well as very relaxing massages. The staff are great! They're kind, welcoming, and attentive. Perfect customer service.

• 1 month later...

Having been there now, I definitely would recommend Tropicante. It was by far our cheapest excursion and best. Our son had a blast, the food and beer were good, and we were just able to relax. My wife had the hour long massage and she felt so relaxed afterwards.

While there are tons of peddlers, they all respected a polite no thank you or just a friendly wave of the hand. Some of the items are pretty good and the prices reasonable for what it is.