Athens DIY? Beat the heat?

NatalieWood

I've been trying to read and research, but thought I'd just ask my questions and see if anyone has more recent information/advice. We are going to Athens in July on the NCL Spirit. We'd like to see the Acropolis and surrounding area, but are concerned about heat and crowds. Our ship gets in at 7am... Is it feasible to DIY and maybe beat the heat? We are a bit, how do I say this, anxious about getting back to the ship without stress so we are doing mostly ship sponsored excursions. But, the Athens ones all look like a long day in the July heat. Any advice from summer travelers or people who have used the bus more recently to DIY? If you do so, can you theoretically do the Acropolis in the AM before it gets too hot?

Thanks!

We'll be doing this same cruise but in August. Because of the heat I've actually planning on a private tour since at least there will ac in the car. The other thing you should know is that the port is huge and walking to the taxi area is quite lengthy. If you are on a tour you don't have to walk far since they are allowed to pick you up near the ship. The following is from toms port guide. http://www.tomsportguides.com/port-guides.html#greece

"The port is huge with two terminals and space for 12 cruise ships. For organized tours, docking location is irrelevant. You board your tour bus near the ship. But many people do self-guided tours which usually involves walking to the Metro station. It is 3500 feet from Terminal “B” to “A” and another 5800 feet (1.1 miles) to the Metro station. Cruise ships line up from Terminal A to B as shown on the map. Our captain said he does not know the assigned dock location until as late as 24 hours before docking. For planning self-guided tours, assume your ship will dock at any of the 12 spaces. I have provided detailed information for walking through this huge port to the Metro station. Other options include taxis at the cruise terminals, bus stops in the port, and Hop-On Bus Stops near the cruise terminals. Your ship might provide buses for travel in the port area."

As usual Tom's guides present a somewhat incomplete picture.

The walk to the metro station can be quite a distance, but getting to the terminals (where taxis are, and also the express bus into Athens now) is not that far.

I would suggest taking a taxi to the Acropolis first thing to avoid the crowds and heat. The ship tours usually do not begin arriving until about an hour later.

You can pick up the hop on hop off bus right at the cruise terminal, so maybe that's an option for you. That's what I had been planning to do, but in the end I signed up for a private tour. It's a good way to DIY though. I don't think the first bus starts until 8 or 8:30 though.

In July the x80 tourist bus will be running from the port to the acropolis area....4E round trip and metro use included-----the metro green line is quite a hike from the port---just go as early as you can as the heat can be bad

Paul

The X80 bus starts running at 7am, it's 4 euros for a day pass which includes the metro which you could hop on near the acropolis if you wanted to go to the archaeological museum in the afternoon.

You can reach the acropolis well before it opens beating the tour groups and full sun since your on top of a hill. Most of the things to see is within 1 km radius of the acropolis. The X80 bus heads straight back to the port.

• 2 weeks later...
As usual Tom's guides present a somewhat incomplete picture.

The walk to the metro station can be quite a distance, but getting to the terminals (where taxis are, and also the express bus into Athens now) is not that far.

I would suggest taking a taxi to the Acropolis first thing to avoid the crowds and heat. The ship tours usually do not begin arriving until about an hour later.

I have been reading Tom's Port Guides, also, so I am interested in your info. When you talk about the express bus, is this the HOHO bus or something different? Is it a bus you can buy tickets for in the port? Would you recommend a taxi over the bus? Thanks. I will be there next month and am so looking forward to it!

I have been reading Tom's Port Guides, also, so I am interested in your info. When you talk about the express bus, is this the HOHO bus or something different? Is it a bus you can buy tickets for in the port? Would you recommend a taxi over the bus? Thanks. I will be there next month and am so looking forward to it!

The X80 express bus is different from the HOHO bus. It started service in 2014 and it is one of the better choices (IMO) for getting into Athens.

Here is some good information: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2040424&highlight=express+bus+athens

The only concern I'd have is that the bus is seasonal - it does not run in the slower winter season. You'd probably want to confirm that it is up and running in April when you will be there. (If there is not a link to the official site in the post I linked above, try the Athens Forum on Tripadvisor, where a local expert may be able to help.) You could also do a search here on CC; type in X80 bus Athens.

Assuming the bus is running and you can get on one of the earlier trips, I would recommend it especially for 1-2 people. If you have more or if you are arriving into port later, I'd suggest a taxi to get to the Acropolis ASAP.

After some researched I have learn that the x80 fare is now €4.50 and operations for the winter season suspended on Nov 1, 2015. I have yet to find out when it resumes however the Piraeus cruise schedule really picks up in April so I would assume it has or will start running about now (Apr 1)