Streamers & LSL

I remember family friends going on the Flotta Lauro in the 1960's and we went onboard. For some reason I have always remembered the ship's name. My sister went on a cruise in the early 1980's and we also went onboard.

Flotta Lauro was a company not a ship. Their ships (at that time) were the Achille Lauro and Angelina Lauro so your visit was likely to one or other of them.

My memory of streamers leads me to think that they stopped about the time that the Overseas Passenger Terminal was renovated, I think it was the mess they created and the environmental concerns that out the final nail in the coffin. Certainly the tradition continued into the 1980's with Oriana and Fairstar. I think that other factors that impacted was with the move of ships to 10 Darling Harbour and later 8 Darling Harbour, it was much harder to get close to the ship to farewell passengers, this made it harder to through the streamers and therefore the tradition was probably going anyway

Flotta Lauro was a company not a ship. Their ships (at that time) were the Achille Lauro and Angelina Lauro so your visit was likely to one or other of them.

My memory of streamers leads me to think that they stopped about the time that the Overseas Passenger Terminal was renovated, I think it was the mess they created and the environmental concerns that out the final nail in the coffin. Certainly the tradition continued into the 1980's with Oriana and Fairstar. I think that other factors that impacted was with the move of ships to 10 Darling Harbour and later 8 Darling Harbour, it was much harder to get close to the ship to farewell passengers, this made it harder to through the streamers and therefore the tradition was probably going anyway

Probably right about the timing and the move to DH affecting the ability to streamers being thrown. The environmental damage would also be a reason.

Wow - this thread brought back some memories! I sailed with my family out of Vancouver on P&O's Arcadia (the one built in 1953) in the early 1970's - first to Los Angeles and then to Hawaii. I remember the streamers - sail away was a huge event and the streamers were a big part of that. I can see why it's not done anymore - but wow - thanks for reminding me of this!!!

Or even something like fish food.

That might not be a good idea. Imagine a fish feeding frenzy around the ship, especially at Circular Quay with all the ferries coming and going. Could get very messy!