Can't use power outlet strips?

tbmrt

I had one of them for our cruise on the Dream. Problem with it is that the receptacle is too low to allow it to plug in. Had to buy a 12" plug extender to allow me to use it. It might be different on other ships....

Good to know! I'll bring a short extension cord just to be safe.

Thanks for the tip!

Surprised to read somewhere this morning that power outlet strips may be confiscated. Always brought one to charge our phones, etc. onboard.

Is this information correct? If so, alternative?

Tx

You can bring a multi pronged extension cord, but not a power strip.

I am not a grammar teacher, so I don't know how that sentence in Carnival's site could be re-structured, but it would be awkward to list the phrase "without surge protection" after each type of device listed.

And yes, all surge protectors (that are available to consumers, for use in the home) are created equal, and banning ones on extension cords but not on wall warts or power strips would be silly.

Maybe saying something like "Any device that contains a surge protector is prohibited and will be confiscated for the safety of our guests and crew. An example of some items that can have surge protectors are, but not limited to, multi-plug/charging units such as power bars/strips, power cubes, etc. These types of devices can also damage your electronics when used aboard the ship due to the difference in the ship's electrical systems."

I'm not a grammar teacher either, but it think that should get the point across. That last part may be overkill but it might make a little bit of sense to some to keep them from using one. Seems like these days a lot of folks choose to intentionally ignore certain rules if they don't think it will affect them. Well maybe if they can make the correlation between surge protection and damaging their $800 cell phone it might give them something to reconsider. Maybe being the key word.

Edited by firemanbobswife

Maybe saying something like "Any device that contains a surge protector is prohibited and will be confiscated for the safety of our guests and crew. An example of some items that can have surge protectors are, but not limited to, multi-plug/charging units such as power bars/strips, power cubes, etc. These types of devices can also damage your electronics when used aboard the ship due to the difference in the ship's electrical systems."

I'm not a grammar teacher either, but it think that should get the point across. That last part may be overkill but it might make a little bit of sense to some to keep them from using one. Seems like these days a lot of folks choose to intentionally ignore certain rules if they don't think it will affect them. Well maybe if they can make the correlation between surge protection and damaging their $800 cell phone it might give them something to reconsider. Maybe being the key word.

Although the wording is less than perfect, I think if we are honest with ourselves, the intent is to restrict surge protectors. Regardless of how that sentence is worded, Carnival gives a warning that should be heeded if we read the entire portion that deals with such items.

"Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords (without surge protectors) are allowed on board when used with proper caution. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark."

Although the wording is less than perfect, I think if we are honest with ourselves, the intent is to restrict surge protectors. Regardless of how that sentence is worded, Carnival gives a warning that should be heeded if we read the entire portion that deals with such items.

"Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords (without surge protectors) are allowed on board when used with proper caution. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark."

Oh, I hear ya. I think that today's society sometimes has comprehension problems, so I'm all for spelling it out in the simplest, most direct terms possible. Too many ways to leave things up for interpretation. I think it would also cause less confusion for those that may misread or try and read too far into the statement. In fact, the policy was misunderstood in this very thread as you know earlier. Imagine how the masses without access to this site could make that wrong assumption as well. It certainly wouldn't hurt for them to change the wording.

[quote name='firemanbobswife']Oh, I hear ya. I think that today's society sometimes has comprehension problems, so I'm all for spelling it out in the simplest, most direct terms possible. Too many ways to leave things up for interpretation. I think it would also cause less confusion for those that may misread or try and read too far into the statement. In fact, the policy was misunderstood in this very thread as you know earlier. Imagine how the masses without access to this site could make that wrong assumption as well. It certainly wouldn't hurt for them to change the wording.[/QUOTE]

Agreed on all points.