Can't use power outlet strips?

tbmrt

Think I might have found a couple that are cool, and don't have surge protection, but do have USB ports. The description doesn't say anything about surge protection in these, but if anyone has more info, it would be helpful!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Uber-3-Grounded-Outlet-and-2-USB-Port-2-1-Amp-Tap-Green-and-Blue-25113/205745666

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-2-Outlet-and-2-USB-Port-2-1-Amp-Tap-White-13464/205727432?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal1_rr-_-205745666-_-205727432-_-N

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-Eye-Indicator-2-AC-Outlet-and-2-USB-Port-2-1-Amp-Power-Station-Tap-White-25337/205728210?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal1_rr-_-205727432-_-205728210-_-N

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Merkury-Innovations-3-AC-Outlet-and-2-USB-Port-3-1-Amp-Power-Charging-Station-Black-MI-WC316-101/206647515?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal1_rr-_-205745666-_-206647515-_-N

Thank you for the links, I'm still concerned with these because one of the great benefits of my present Belkin surge protector is the 3 prong plug is rotatable and can fit any outlet regardless of it's position. I wish there was some way to know this for certain and I don't see anything in the description.

We use a charging station that has 3 plug-ins and 2 USB ports. One problem we had wss that the outlet in the room is at the desk and is placed very low, only about 1" above the table top.. We didn't have enough clearance , so had to buy a 12" plug extender to use it.

What is a plug extender? We will be three in the cabin. My DH sleeps with a BiPap+a portable oxygen concentrator. That is two plugs. If I want to recharge my phone to use as a camera and our other cabin mate needs a little electricity also it appears as if we may have a dilemma.:( Are there other places on the ship where we may plug in long enough to charge a device. I've done it many times, sitting on the floor in the airport.:o

Thank you for the links' date=' I'm still concerned with these because one of the great benefits of my present Belkin surge protector is the 3 prong plug is rotatable and can fit any outlet regardless of it's position. I wish there was some way to know this for certain and I don't see anything in the description.[/quote']

I had the same thought. It doesn't appear to rotate. One solution might be to bring a short extension cord with to plug this into, like most power strips have built into them. Then just lay it on the desk.

I think I might try it for our upcoming cruise. If I do, I will report back...

Think I might have found a couple that are cool, and don't have surge protection, but do have USB ports. The description doesn't say anything about surge protection in these, but if anyone has more info, it would be helpful!

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Uber-3-Grounded-Outlet-and-2-USB-Port-2-1-Amp-Tap-Green-and-Blue-25113/205745666

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-2-Outlet-and-2-USB-Port-2-1-Amp-Tap-White-13464/205727432?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal1_rr-_-205745666-_-205727432-_-N

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-Eye-Indicator-2-AC-Outlet-and-2-USB-Port-2-1-Amp-Power-Station-Tap-White-25337/205728210?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal1_rr-_-205727432-_-205728210-_-N

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Merkury-Innovations-3-AC-Outlet-and-2-USB-Port-3-1-Amp-Power-Charging-Station-Black-MI-WC316-101/206647515?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal1_rr-_-205745666-_-206647515-_-N

Thank you for the links' date=' I'm still concerned with these because one of the great benefits of my present Belkin surge protector is the 3 prong plug is rotatable and can fit any outlet regardless of it's position. I wish there was some way to know this for certain and I don't see anything in the description.[/quote']

I have not researched these particular products, but everyone should be wary of just relying on the retailer website descriptions. I have looked at some products that don't mention whether they are surge protected or not, and have gone to the manufacturer's website and either found the answer, or even their site is not clear, and have had to e-mail the manufacturer for clarification. Some companies, like Zilu, will have one product that is not surge protected, but the rest of their product line is protected, and they are not clear in any of their descriptions. I'll try to look at these this weekend.

KC, if you are wanting confirmation that the Belkin is surge protected, I have confirmed that it is at the manufacturer's site:

http://www.belkin.com/us/BST300-Belkin/p/P-BST300/

The specs list "clamping voltage", "joule rating" which are key measurements for surge protection, and even tell you that there are "MOV"'s between hot and ground and hot and neutral, and MOV's are the semiconductor that can fail and cause the problem.

For a quick reference, if there is a small LED on the device that says "protected", it is surge protected.

What is a plug extender? We will be three in the cabin. My DH sleeps with a BiPap+a portable oxygen concentrator. That is two plugs. If I want to recharge my phone to use as a camera and our other cabin mate needs a little electricity also it appears as if we may have a dilemma.:( Are there other places on the ship where we may plug in long enough to charge a device. I've done it many times, sitting on the floor in the airport.:o

A plug extender is basically a foot long cord with a male connection on one end and a female on the other. Mainly used when you need to plug a power supply into a power bar and it won't fit. Or a plug on a ship that is too low for your charger to plug into.

Someone had recommended this - Alisten 6 Port High Speed USB-C USB Wall Charger Hub Station, I found it on Amazon. I'm hoping this will help next year when we have 5 of us in a suite. I'm taking it next month on another cruise, so we'll see how well it works.

Thank you to all that have posted good information here. I was going to bring the popular Belkin adaptor that has been recommended by so many on so many sites. Because of this discussion, I now know that is not an approved option.

I would like to bring the Powercube Original USB. I fear that the bad information provided by vendors will preclude that option as well. I do not believe a resettable fuse is the problem. The Powercube is not a surge protector. There is not enough clarity on the subject to chance it though. I do not want to have a debate with people just trying to do their job.

It is a iffy adventure to try to bring power strips with long cords if you fly. It is not enough to know they are allowed. It is vital that whatever you bring is approved by the person screening you. I try to keep things simple when dealing with the TSA. You are never going to win that battle.

Therefore, I am purchasing this item next.

http://https://youtu.be/O-QeAryuLdc

From what I am seeing, whatever you bring, it must have prongs of equal dimensions to fit into the cabin outlet. Polarized plugs will not work (1 blade being larger than the other).

And finally the disclaimer: I have not been on a Carnival ship. I just trust pictures and advice of those that have done things that I am researching... as I have done in this thread.

Carnival Australia recently changed their rules and are not allowing passengers to bring any power boards/strips on board. Even those without surge protection are now being confiscated, and they've confirmed the change on their Facebook page.

I don't know why, or if US based cruises are or will follow suit. Apparently you can ask your steward to borrow one.

Thank you to all that have posted good information here. I was going to bring the popular Belkin adaptor that has been recommended by so many on so many sites. Because of this discussion, I now know that is not an approved option.

I would like to bring the Powercube Original USB. I fear that the bad information provided by vendors will preclude that option as well. I do not believe a resettable fuse is the problem. The Powercube is not a surge protector. There is not enough clarity on the subject to chance it though. I do not want to have a debate with people just trying to do their job.

It is a iffy adventure to try to bring power strips with long cords if you fly. It is not enough to know they are allowed. It is vital that whatever you bring is approved by the person screening you. I try to keep things simple when dealing with the TSA. You are never going to win that battle.

Therefore, I am purchasing this item next.

http://https://youtu.be/O-QeAryuLdc

From what I am seeing, whatever you bring, it must have prongs of equal dimensions to fit into the cabin outlet. Polarized plugs will not work (1 blade being larger than the other).

And finally the disclaimer: I have not been on a Carnival ship. I just trust pictures and advice of those that have done things that I am researching... as I have done in this thread.

Sorry about the link. One too many https. Should be this link

Edited by MaineBirdBrain

I fly a lot for work and travel with multiple electrical devices (2 powerstrips and one extension cord). I have NEVER had an issue with the TSA and this type of equipment. There is absolutely nothing questionable about traveling with these. If there was, no one would ever be able to take their laptop cord with them :)

One less thing to worry about ...

I fly a lot for work and travel with multiple electrical devices (2 powerstrips and one extension cord). I have NEVER had an issue with the TSA and this type of equipment. There is absolutely nothing questionable about traveling with these. If there was, no one would ever be able to take their laptop cord with them :)

One less thing to worry about ...

I have never faced this issue either. I have read blogs where people have had issues. I except your firsthand account as more informed than mine.

I still see merit in taking a smaller item though. I always travel by carry on. I am always asking myself if there is a smaller item that does the job. People needlessly carry too much and too bulky stuff. Do not take that as an opposing view to what you state. Just my preference.

Carnival Australia recently changed their rules and are not allowing passengers to bring any power boards/strips on board. Even those without surge protection are now being confiscated, and they've confirmed the change on their Facebook page.

I don't know why, or if US based cruises are or will follow suit. Apparently you can ask your steward to borrow one.

Even if my point about the TSA is not valid, the one above might be. I do not like to run risks when there are alternatives that run no risks.

Even if my point about the TSA is not valid, the one above might be. I do not like to run risks when there are alternatives that run no risks.

As of right now, Carnival still allows power strips without surge protectors. The change is for Carnival Australia, which actually is separate from the Carnival in the US (still owned by Carnival, but managed separately).

As of right now, Carnival still allows power strips without surge protectors. The change is for Carnival Australia, which actually is separate from the Carnival in the US (still owned by Carnival, but managed separately).

Do you think that policy will not come here? I don't pretend to know. I know this much. I do not need such a bulky item and I will be prepared if it does. I just wish I had more foresight when I bought the Belkin thingy that everyone seems to have.

It's managed locally but it's the same ship and same company, Legend runs seasonally Sydney/Alaska (we keep the Spirit all year). I guess it depends on the reason. It's only a very recent change, the latest brochure I have states you can take one on, and I took one on a year ago.

I went ahead and bought this one through Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Uber-25113-Station-Outlets-Grounded/dp/B00SD9J376?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

It looks like it would work. Nowhere on the device, or on the packaging, does it say anything about surge protection. There is no way to reset the device, no lights indicating any kind of protection, no switches to turn it on or off. It seems to just be a 3 outlet tap with 2 USB ports. It also requires very little clearance below, so this should work well with the minimal clearance between the outlet and the desk in the cabins.

I'm gonna give it a shot!:D

Per Carnival's site:

Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords (without surge protectors) are allowed on board when used with proper caution.

Honestly, I read that as I can't have an Extension Cord that has surge protection....if it applied to all items I would have thought they would have worded it as electircal devices without surge protectors.......

Per Carnival's site:

Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords (without surge protectors) are allowed on board when used with proper caution.

Honestly, I read that as I can't have an Extension Cord that has surge protection....if it applied to all items I would have thought they would have worded it as electircal devices without surge protectors.......

Just did a search for that wording. You are quoting it correct.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2261/~/restricted-items-list

I cannot see any issue with your logic. I agree. Extension cords are allowed per that posting on Carnival's own site.

Opinions? What are we missing?

Of course this is only relevant if you desire to bring an extension cord. I want as small a device as possible that will provide more outlets.

Edit:

Okay. Now I wish I could delete my post. I see the emphasis now. I read your post too quick. I do not agree with your logic. I believe the wording is poor. The characteristics of surge protection is the problem. There is nothing unique about a surge protector in an extension cord that would single them out as the only issue. Carnival worded that line poorly.

Edited by MaineBirdBrain

Edit:

Okay. Now I wish I could delete my post. I see the emphasis now. I read your post too quick. I do not agree with your logic. I believe the wording is poor. The characteristics of surge protection is the problem. There is nothing unique about a surge protector in an extension cord that would single them out as the only issue. Carnival worded that line poorly.

I agree with this. I think they have had his policy in place for awhile and before all the little cube type things started popping up with surge protectors in them. They have just not updated the wording.

From chengkp75's numerous posts on this over and over again due to his expertise on the subject, all surge protectors are deemed hazardous (and therefore prohibited) due to the way it affects the ship's electrical system. Or rather the way the ship's electrical system can affect the surge protector. Or both. It has nothing to do with the shape or how many/types of outlets it has, but the very nature of the surge protection itself. I'm sure if I'm wrong he will correct me.

http://www.amazon.com/Uber-25113-Station-Outlets-Grounded/dp/B00SD9J376?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

It looks like it would work. Nowhere on the device, or on the packaging, does it say anything about surge protection. There is no way to reset the device, no lights indicating any kind of protection, no switches to turn it on or off. It seems to just be a 3 outlet tap with 2 USB ports. It also requires very little clearance below, so this should work well with the minimal clearance between the outlet and the desk in the cabins.

That particular uber item I have researched, and it does not have surge protection, from the manufacturer's website.

Just did a search for that wording. You are quoting it correct.

I cannot see any issue with your logic. I agree. Extension cords are allowed per that posting on Carnival's own site.

Opinions? What are we missing?

Of course this is only relevant if you desire to bring an extension cord. I want as small a device as possible that will provide more outlets.

Edit:

I agree with this. I think they have had his policy in place for awhile and before all the little cube type things started popping up with surge protectors in them. They have just not updated the wording.

From chengkp75's numerous posts on this over and over again due to his expertise on the subject, all surge protectors are deemed hazardous (and therefore prohibited) due to the way it affects the ship's electrical system. Or rather the way the ship's electrical system can affect the surge protector. Or both. It has nothing to do with the shape or how many/types of outlets it has, but the very nature of the surge protection itself. I'm sure if I'm wrong he will correct me.

I am not a grammar teacher, so I don't know how that sentence in Carnival's site could be re-structured, but it would be awkward to list the phrase "without surge protection" after each type of device listed.

And yes, all surge protectors (that are available to consumers, for use in the home) are created equal, and banning ones on extension cords but not on wall warts or power strips would be silly.

I had one of them for our cruise on the Dream. Problem with it is that the receptacle is too low to allow it to plug in. Had to buy a 12" plug extender to allow me to use it. It might be different on other ships....

All this talk about surge protection, etc is confusing me. I don't want to get in trouble. I just want to plug my devices in without having to borrow a cord from the stewards.

My next cruise will be the first with a C-pap machine. So I'm assuming I'll need something for that. I'll probably use one of those two or three prong adapters (not a cord). But how will I know if it's surge protected? Will it say so on the adapter?

For my iPhone/Kindle etc, I have this.

6FCE407A-6FAB-4FA5-AD75-51A9D78F4810_zpsqvec6gii.jpg

85D687E2-E266-4337-BA42-0407E13B8741_zpsvsrvyavo.jpg

I honestly can't remember if we took it on our last cruise or not, but I think we did (Royal Caribbean). It wasn't taken away or anything. Anyway, I never thought this was surge protected, and I don't see anything indicating protection. I bought it at Wal Mart a couple of years ago for about $20.

I can't say for sure, looked at this particular model number, don't see too many places that still stock it here in US, mfg. in China, so a little difficult to get data, but I would hazard a guess that it is not surge protected.