Does the Dream have slot that keeps lights off while gone?

tbmrt

Magic & Breeze have the regular on/off switch, but to keep the lights on, you must insert a card (or folded paper) into the slot. I wouldn't think that Sunshine had these, except maybe where they added staterooms in the renovation. (They could have added the slots to the old rooms, and maybe I just haven't heard about it.) Thankfully, Dream does not have this terribly annoying feature!

Magic & Breeze have the regular on/off switch, but to keep the lights on, you must insert a card (or folded paper) into the slot. I wouldn't think that Sunshine had these, except maybe where they added staterooms in the renovation. (They could have added the slots to the old rooms, and maybe I just haven't heard about it.) Thankfully, Dream does not have this terribly annoying feature!

We had this on the Royal Princess. Picked up a couple of gift cards from Walmart and put one in the slot. Pulled it up when we left the room and lights went out in about 30 seconds. Pushed it down when we returned and the lights came on. Once we used it a few times we really did not find it annoying at all. The last time I sailed the Dream they did not have this feature. :)

It doesn't have to be a "card...you can fold a piece of paper and just leave it in the slot....all you need to do is break the beam that is controlling the lights....doesn't have to be a "card" at all! You could stick a dollar in there! Or, fold up one of those annoying flyers you'll get by the dozens in your cabin daily!

Edited by cb at sea

It doesn't have to be a "card...you can fold a piece of paper and just leave it in the slot....all you need to do is break the beam that is controlling the lights....doesn't have to be a "card" at all! You could stick a dollar in there! Or, fold up one of those annoying flyers you'll get by the dozens in your cabin daily!

Or you could make it easy and use your S&S card. I don't really need the card when I am in the room and this way I always know where it is.

Or you could make it easy and use your S&S card. I don't really need the card when I am in the room and this way I always know where it is.

Yes, you can use your sail and sign card, but I guarantee you that I would leave in in the slot and close the door. Ask me how I know that. :eek:

Also using your S & S card can be a problem if more than 1 person is sharing the room and aren't always leaving the cabin at the same time. Like it was for me and my son. We didn't do everything together so we would need our card when we left the room. It becomes a problem when the person with the card in the slot leaves and pulls the card while the other person is in the bathroom. Oh no!!! Suddenly it is totally dark. Even more so if you happen to be in an inside cabin. And the person who took the card is gone. And since there is a delay before the light go off they don't realize they left the other person in the dark.

We decided to use a folded piece of paper. But if we left it at the slot our steward would take it and throw it away. We didn't leave it in so the lights were on while we were gone but he still threw it away.

True. Just break the beam.

I would have to do something like this. Or I've heard you can stick an old gift card or something in there. Otherwise I would never have my S&S card on my person; it would live in the room. But while I would forget the card always, I'd never forget to turn the light switch off because that's a habit, so I'm glad we won't have to bother with this on the Dream.

Yes, you can use your sail and sign card, but I guarantee you that I would leave in in the slot and close the door. Ask me how I know that. :eek:

This happened to me on the Breeze multiple times. Thank goodness I always had multiple people with me who had another key.

I would have to do something like this. Or I've heard you can stick an old gift card or something in there. Otherwise I would never have my S&S card on my person; it would live in the room. But while I would forget the card always, I'd never forget to turn the light switch off because that's a habit, so I'm glad we won't have to bother with this on the Dream.

If you do cruise on a ship that has that system, gift cards work great. The cabin steward left it in the slot and used it when she made up our room. And the most important point; I never left DW in the dark when using the gift card. ;)

As of now no slots on the sunshine

I got left in the shower in the dark on the Breeze...not fun!

That is really funny. Did they remember and turn back around, or did you have to get out and search? Did you have any light coming in from outside at all, or were you in an interior? I just can't imagine.

That is really funny. Did they remember and turn back around, or did you have to get out and search? Did you have any light coming in from outside at all, or were you in an interior? I just can't imagine.

We were in a deluxe oceanview. I was getting ready for dinner so it was still light outside. I cracked the bathroom door to let some light in and finished my shower. DH had gone to get us some pre-dinner drinks so I couldn't be too angry with him:)