Sea Sickness Deck 6

mikem1977

Meclizine is over the counter and cheap--I pay less than $3 for an 8 pack of the generic in Ohio.

I found this a while back at Target. You have to ask for them at the counter but its a bottle of 100 of a generic Bonine and the cost was only $5.00 in Mississippi! Great buy!

61RPkKJQ6oL._SY355_.jpg

We cruised about a month after my wife had brain surgery. We were on deck 8 midship. She wore a motion sicknes patch and had no problems . We prefer the upper decks and have found there is not that much difference in deck level especially if you stay midship. Tablemates on our last cruise said green apples also helped with motion sickness. Seems like I had heard that before as well. I am blessed, I guess, the ship's movement doesn't bother me, even in rough seas. Have a great cruise.

I found this a while back at Target. You have to ask for them at the counter but its a bottle of 100 of a generic Bonine and the cost was only $5.00 in Mississippi! Great buy!

61RPkKJQ6oL._SY355_.jpg

Whoa, that is a great buy! I asked my pharmacist once if it would be cheaper if I just got a prescription since it's a constant problem for me, and she crunched the numbers for my insurance, but it didn't come out any better. I don't usually use a Target pharmacy, but next time I'm there, I'll definitely ask if they have any larger quantities behind the counter.

Whoa, that is a great buy! I asked my pharmacist once if it would be cheaper if I just got a prescription since it's a constant problem for me, and she crunched the numbers for my insurance, but it didn't come out any better. I don't usually use a Target pharmacy, but next time I'm there, I'll definitely ask if they have any larger quantities behind the counter.

I have never used Target to get prescriptions filled but on this particular day I had asked about Bonine and whether or not it would cause drowsiness. Regular Dramamine knocks me out so I would be useless on a cruise if I had to take it. The pharmacist showed me what they had on the shelf and then showed me this. It was a no brainer for me!

BTW, it says "chewable" but I don't particularly care for most chewables so I simply swallow it with water or juice.

For the record, although it doesn't knock me out like Dramamine, it does leave me feeling a little drowsy when I slow down. As long as I'm staying busy, I don't notice it as much. ;)

We were just on Carnival Liberty mid ship deck 6 (room 6393) for two weeks in November/December. Compared to other cruises we barely noticed any movement at all. At times, we didn't even know we were moving until we looked at the web cam on TV. Once in a while you could feel it a little but really not bad at all. We take to take ginger pills will us (available at Walmart for less than $4) because medicine tends to have side effects. We start taking ginger once a day the day before the cruise and continue as needed. If you'd rather take medicine, take it before bed. No one has mentioned it, but Benadryl also works for motion sickness. You could also bring a pack of ginger ale or some ginger tea. Like others have said, prevention is key. Take something before you feel sick. Hope this helps :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I should also mention that earlier in the year, I had my first episode of bppv (vertigo) and ever since, I have been extremely sensitive to motion. I worried about the trip for months and everything turned out fine. :)

I'm prone to motion sickness as well, but I have not problems staying on the higher decks, but would never stay about deck 6 or 7. You will feel more motion than on deck 2, but it shouldn't be too bad. I take one Dramamine at bedtime and I'm good to go!

No one can predict how you will react to an OTC med. They can just say what their experience was, and that or may not correlate to your own.

You will feel more motion the more forward you go. Is there some way you can test how the dramamine might work for you?

Say go for a car ride on a twisty road but take the meds prior to see if they work?

I wish but I live in Chicago and we don't have many twisty roads but I don't get motion sickness in the car - and I'm usually the one driving. Regular Dramamine puts me right out (missed a muster drill on my very first cruise because of it). We have boat rides here on the lake but they aren't cheap. Oh what to do, what to do. I think I will try the water taxi and take one say an hour before getting on to see what happens. Just gotta make sure I have a friend that goes with me just in case.

We were just on Carnival Liberty mid ship deck 6 (room 6393) for two weeks in November/December. Compared to other cruises we barely noticed any movement at all. At times, we didn't even know we were moving until we looked at the web cam on TV. Once in a while you could feel it a little but really not bad at all. We take to take ginger pills will us (available at Walmart for less than $4) because medicine tends to have side effects. We start taking ginger once a day the day before the cruise and continue as needed. If you'd rather take medicine, take it before bed. No one has mentioned it, but Benadryl also works for motion sickness. You could also bring a pack of ginger ale or some ginger tea. Like others have said, prevention is key. Take something before you feel sick. Hope this helps :)

Benadryl is what the doc told me to give my son for motion sickness just in case. Luckily he didn't need it as they said also kids really don't feel it at such a young age. I will have it just in case (doesn't make him sleepy at all).

Hello all,

My wife and daughter get really bad motion sickness. Our first cruise on the Fascination we were on Deck 11 forward and my wife was sick half the cruise.

Second cruise on the sunshine we were Deck 2 midship and this was much better. Aside from one night in the AFT Dining room they did really good.

This next cruise we are on the Liberty deck 6 midship. Will there be that much of a motion difference between deck 2 and deck 6. I didn't think there would be that much difference when I booked, but now am going back double thinking.

It has been my experience that if the ship is rocking, the entire ship is rocking. So, do I think there is much difference - no.

The ship will pitch (up and down motion of the bow and stern). The best way to reduce that is to be mid ship.

The ship will also roll (left to right swaying). The best way to reduce that is to be near the water line.

61RPkKJQ6oL._SY355_.jpg

I use the same thing. Got mine at costco.

I start the day before i leave home. I need it to fly to port and then daily on the ship.

Works wonders. I take one a day before bed. If it is really wavy, I may take a second. I still enjoy a cocktail or two by the pool and two glasses of wine at dinner.

I've used the wrist bands before, but now I take a ginger capsule morning & evening. No problems at all. I wonder if you could test the patches ahead of time. I've heard that some people react badly to them. At least with the meclazine or ginger you shouldn't have any unwanted side effects.

Oh, I just remembered - I was told the crew often eats green apples to help with motion sickness.

Edited by dmdiver

I get motion sick very easily (even short car rides) and the best remedy I have tried is the over the counter medication Bonine. One pill lasts 24 hours and best of all no drowsiness! I take one every morning of a cruise. If you haven't tried it yet, it might be worth a try.

This!! Me too! I even get motion sickness if I drive a small economy car LOL. Bonine is a life saver.