Techie question -Connecting your phone to RC Samsung TV

I've noticed that the Samsung flat screen TVs have a HDMI port and was wondering if anyone has tried using an MHL adapter and HDMI cable to connect their phone to the TV in order to watch a movie or TV show in the evening before bed.

I've noticed that the Samsung flat screen TVs have a HDMI port and was wondering if anyone has tried using an MHL adapter and HDMI cable to connect their phone to the TV in order to watch a movie or TV show in the evening before bed.

My advice would bring a Samsung remote and try it.

Some report success using a universal remote to select another input.

I actually have a few Samsung TV's at home, but use thB2Be TWC remote on them, but will try bringing one of the remotes that came with the TVs as well as a universal. At this point when I am on board ship for a month or so there's just so much Big Bang Theory I can watch dubbed in German...lol.

I actually have a few Samsung TV's at home, but use thB2Be TWC remote on them, but will try bringing one of the remotes that came with the TVs as well as a universal. At this point when I am on board ship for a month or so there's just so much Big Bang Theory I can watch dubbed in German...lol.

You could always switch to the Portuguese version.;):D

FYI, there are a couple of pretty good universal remote apps. I've had a lot of fun with those.

I tried a couple of those on my wife's phone and found they needed internet access to function. I'd like to find one that does not need internet access, other than the initial download.

I tried a couple of those on my wife's phone and found they needed internet access to function. I'd like to find one that does not need internet access, other than the initial download.

On my Android I am using Peel Smart Remote. as far as I know the only time you need internet access is if your adding a new remote. That is something I do at bars. I was at a bar where my wife and friends were doing Karaoke, which to me is as much fun as root canals. I used the app to turn on the TV near me and find a basketball game.

On my Android I am using Peel Smart Remote. as far as I know the only time you need internet access is if your adding a new remote. That is something I do at bars. I was at a bar where my wife and friends were doing Karaoke, which to me is as much fun as root canals. I used the app to turn on the TV near me and find a basketball game.

Thanks Bill, I'll give it a try.

you'll need two things for this:

Universal Remote. You can find them on Amazon for under $10 if you look. You don't need a fancy one, just one that you can program with codes. Don't forget to bring the code book with you on your cruise, as you may have to try several.

(remote apps on your phone likely won't work, as most modern mobile devices do not have IR emitters, and you probably won't be able to get the TV and your phone onto the same network together)

Disconnect the TV's "phone" connection from the ship. The TV will be hotel mode, which means that you won't be able to use a standard remove until you disconnect the RJ-11 "phone" connection that the ship uses. Once you've disconnected the phone cable from the back of the TV, you should be able to program the universal remote from above to allow you to change volume and inputs.

You'll need to plug that RJ-11 cable back in to use the ships channels and smart features, btw, and please remember to plug it back in before you the leave the ship! :-)

Edited by heimdall

(remote apps on your phone likely won't work, as most modern mobile devices do not have IR emitters, and you probably won't be able to get the TV and your phone onto the same network together)

I don't own an I phone, but that statement is just wrong.

They work fine on my last 3 phones including my current Samsung Galaxy S5. I'm certainly not on the network of the bars, or the one in my office, they commnunicate through IR, The LED is right next to the headphone jack.

Apr 12, 2013 - Like most of the newest halo phones on the market, the Samsung Galaxy S4 has an infrared port so you can use it as a TV remote

And I've never seen a TV with an RJ11 connection, you probably mean RJ45 more suitable for networking, but I'll check on my next cruise.

Edited by BillOh

We asked our cabin steward for a Samsung remote. He found one for us in half an hour. I'm not sure if every steward would do this or not. We sailed with this one on numerous occasions so he's very comfortable with us.

We brought our own HDMI cable plugged it in and just have the adaptor to hook up to our iPad. All you need to do is change your HDMI input and you're good to go. The toughest part was actually getting the HDMI cable into the plugs on the side of the TV as you can see from the photo it is tight in our cabin.

0f8ee3905bba911d8ef792305533dd97.jpg

56d8f9878b5caa59e9616a0ba8e91c24.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the tip, I'm going to try it.

We asked our cabin steward for a Samsung remote. He found one for us in half an hour. I'm not sure if every steward would do this or not. We sailed with this one on numerous occasions so he's very comfortable with us.

We brought our own HDMI cable plugged it in and just have the adaptor to hook up to our iPad. All you need to do is change your HDMI input and you're good to go. The toughest part was actually getting the HDMI cable into the plugs on the side of the TV as you can see from the photo it is tight in our cabin.

0f8ee3905bba911d8ef792305533dd97.jpg

56d8f9878b5caa59e9616a0ba8e91c24.jpg

Would you mind emailing me? I have some (stupid) questions about this that I would rather not handle on this thread)

Thanks.

I don't own an I phone, but that statement is just wrong.

They work fine on my last 3 phones including my current Samsung Galaxy S5. I'm certainly not on the network of the bars, or the one in my office, they commnunicate through IR, The LED is right next to the headphone jack.

And I've never seen a TV with an RJ11 connection, you probably mean RJ45 more suitable for networking, but I'll check on my next cruise.

No models of iPhones ship with IR ports. According to comScore, the iPhone had the largest US marketshare, at 44% of the US smartphone market in 2015. In comparison, Samsung's market share in 2015 was 28%. (I'm not making a qualitative analysis, just a quantitive one.) That would make my statement NOT "just wrong".

If your last 3 phones have been Samsung's and have had IR ports, then that's wonderful for you. However, it's safer for most people to assume that their phones do not, though, as IR ports on phones aren't a given (even if you limit it to just Android devices).

Other point:

Most hotel TVs and those on both Royal and Carnival ships certainly do use an RJ-11 jack to transmit serial codes upstream, typically connected to a LodgeNet or other similar device that is attached to the back of the TV, and then connects to the device via coax. The RJ-11 connection (which is using a serial RS232/RS486 protocol, I believe) is used to transmit the IR codes through the TV back to whatever the backend infrastructure is so that they know what (hopefully paid for) content you're asking for. As much as I work with network cabling, I assure you that I can identify the different between RJ11 and RJ45.

I spend way too many nights traveling in hotel rooms, and have picked up a thing or two when it comes to connecting my devices up to the TV to watch movies, Netflix, shows without commercials, or even just to extend my laptop so that I'm not squinting at network diagrams on late nights.

From Carnival - thought it was interesting. Not sure if it affects your discussion as I'm not at all techie!

Prohibited: Digital Cameras/Camcorders, DVDs/VCRs, USB sticks, iPods, Nintendo/X-Box Play Units cannot be used with the TV in the guest's stateroom or suite as the connection ports are disabled.

Prohibited: Digital Cameras/Camcorders, DVDs/VCRs, USB sticks, iPods, Nintendo/X-Box Play Units cannot be used with the TV in the guest's stateroom or suite as the connection ports are disabled.

I was able to use the TV on Carnival Magic without much trouble. The trick is the same as I mentioned earlier, to disconnect the telephone jack (RJ11) from the back of the television. This usually will disable hotel mode while it's disconnected and allow you to use the inputs for your gear.

We just used our Samsung S5 phones in a hotel and on Serenade. We bought a Samsing MHL 2.0 HDTV adapter to connect our phones to an HDMI cable. On the ship it automatically switched to the phone screen as soon as we plugged in the cable. In the hotel we had to manually switch it to HDMI and aux audio by using the menu buttons on the side of the TV. Note: First I bought the much cheaper Rocket fish brand connector. It looks exactly the same but when I tried it on our TVS at home it didn't work. Bought the one made for our phones and it worked seamlessly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

The Peel app works great! Samsung s4 and newer have an actual IR blaster that emulates an infrared remote. NO wifi needed after initial set up for each tv or cable box.

The Peel app works great! Samsung s4 and newer have an actual IR blaster that emulates an infrared remote. NO wifi needed after initial set up for each tv or cable box.

I have the S7 and noticed the app. Although I haven't tried it yet, do you still have to determine the make, model #, etc. ??? Do you have to enter a hundred codes to figure out which TV will sync?

I have the S7 and noticed the app. Although I haven't tried it yet, do you still have to determine the make, model #, etc. ??? Do you have to enter a hundred codes to figure out which TV will sync?

Kind of, each brand tends to use the same use the same codes. My experience with the Peel Smart app is you select the brand from a drop down list and then instructs you hit the power icon on the app. If the tv turns on, done. If not scroll to the right, try again. You never have to enter a code, just arrow keys and power icon.