Opinions on my choice of Manhattan hotels

TSUmom

A single subway ticket is $3. Cabs will probably be your best bet most of the time. It might save money to take the subway, but it saves time to grab a cab, as opposed to walking to metro station, buying ticket, etc. For longer trips, such as Wall Street to midtown, I sometimes split the difference, taking a train down and a cab back.

You can try to see as many things as possible, and wear yourself out, or you can focus on one area near your hotel. You'll have a much more pleasant experience that way. The tourist attractions will put you in a throng with other tourists, looking at things than you can see pictures of online. The beautiful part of New York is the experience, doing what the locals do -- eating in a diner, grabbing a snack from a 24-hour deli, shopping in a street market, watching musicians perform in a metro station. Things that can't be captured in a photo. Don't discount how enriching these activities can be.

You listed many daytime activities, but NYC at night is even more exciting. Upper West Side has Lincoln Center (some performances are very reasonably priced, or free). Seeing the huge Chagall paintings and the fountain are worth a trip, and that doesn't cost anything. Central Park is huge, which most tourists don't grasp until they've collapsed. From Lincoln Center, the park is a couple of blocks east, and the best sights are there -- the sheep meadow is my favorite people watching spot, and you can head north from there. Broadway shows are quintessentially New York. I had no idea how much a show would mean to me. Many visitors enjoy the thrill of rush/lottery tickets, which are inexpensive tickets given out a couple of hours before the show. The process takes about an hour, start to finish. You go to the theatre, put your name in a box, and wait to see if your name is called. Some shows have modernized this lottery and it's done online, no waiting, although in spring, waiting with other fans is fun.

This website has info,

http://m.playbill.com/article/broadway-rush-lottery-and-standing-room-only-policies-com-116003

There are better hotels for the NYC experience. I typically use Hotwire or online booking sites. This is one city where you want to stay in a 4-star, with at least 80% positive reviews. Hotel rates fluctuate wildly. Rooms can be $150/night one week and $450/night the next.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Somewhere on these boards I read of people doing just that, walking to the port.

I am sure I am missing so many things to see and do, like museums, but with so little time I could not enjoy them. I don't want to be so rushed that I am unable to just take in the sights and sounds. I guess I will just plan on a 2nd cruise from New York.

Looking at a map I will take your advice and start at the LaQuinta and pass by the ESB, Public Library,St Patricks and Rockefeller plus Radio City is close all on the way to Central Park. We could return down 7th ave through the Theater Dist. and Broadway.

What are your thoughts on Hells Kitchen?

Not much to Hell's Kitchen except some good restaurants, we do Becco's on restaurant row at least a couple of times on every trip ( we go every year) ( restaurant row is 46st between 8th and 9th) , I like all your ideas mentioned, remember there are Broadway matinee's every Saturday and Sunday and you can get good seats at half price tkts. For Pizza we love Angelo's on 54th and Broadway, next to CBS late night theatre. Also Ellen stardust diner on 50th and Broadway is a load of fun, out of work Broadway singers are the wait staff and every few minutes someone will start singing songs, this goes on from noon to past midnight

Grand Central Terminal, Bryant Park, and Times Square all are within a very short walk of each other along 42nd Street. All 3 well worth visiting.

Grand Central is famous of course and the huge main concourse is a sight to see. Many subway lines stop at Grand Central so if you take the subway there's a good chance you can easily stop here.

Bryant Park may be the best park in the nation. It's not huge like Central Park. It's only one block (and the block includes the spectacular central library with the famous stone lions out front too). But the park has a couple of places to grab lunch, lots of seats for a rest, and unique things like outdoor ping pong and petanque.

Times Square is really crazy at night. All the lights and thousands of people. It's a fun experience. It is also right there by many of the Broadway theaters so why not see it on your way to a show?

Edited by knoxblox

As you're going to be in NYC for 3 days, I'm assuming you're going to want to see/do as much as you can. Manhattan is not that small, and no hotel is central to everything. I think all of the hotels you mentioned are fine, as far as hotels go, but I'd expand on where you're looking and choose by the best rate you can get while still being fairly central (and close to a subway) as pretty much everything is reachable from everywhere in Manhattan. Public transit is quick, easy and affordable. With what you're paying for your cruise and your 3 days in Manhattan, so what if it's a $25 cab ride from your hotel over to the cruise ship terminal.

Oh my, I have been busy with my Grandkids this past weekend and thought I would check cc. You all have been busy giving me more inside info and for that I thank each and everyone of you!!!

My opening question on this thread was about 3 hotels and I am taking the advice and checking on all of my other hotel options.

My "map" is highlighted with the sites we want to see and the possible routes to each. We will be breaking down the days into sections of the city. We will be taking a taxi to the port (crazy idea when I read about walking there and considered it) We are even planning on using the subway and taking in an afternoon show if we have time for it.

I will keep watching for more helpful hints and ideas! Thank you cruise critic posters!!