Coffee Machine in Epic Haven Suites

old nutter

We recently returned from a cruise on Epic and were not very happy with the coffee machine in the suite. OK I know we were spoiled up to now because we have had those great Lavazza cappuccino machines. They make superb coffee and can also provide steam to warm chocolate milk and hot water for tea.

The coffee machine we had in the Epic was a Nespresso thingy that only made espresso from the little supplied pots. It only held enough water for about four decent cups and if you used it for coffee, there were bits of grounds in it if you wanted just to get hot water for a cup of tea. We ended up getting flasks of hot water from the butler twice a day to make our drinks.

Does anyone know if these little Nespresso machines were there before the recent dry dock upgrades or if they have always been another "feature" of that rather odd ship? If they are new and will be put, or have already been put in other ship suites after dry docks, we will have to start bringing our own instant special coffee packs in future.

We recently returned from a cruise on Epic and were not very happy with the coffee machine in the suite. OK I know we were spoiled up to now because we have had those great Lavazza cappuccino machines. They make superb coffee and can also provide steam to warm chocolate milk and hot water for tea.

The coffee machine we had in the Epic was a Nespresso thingy that only made espresso from the little supplied pots. It only held enough water for about four decent cups and if you used it for coffee, there were bits of grounds in it if you wanted just to get hot water for a cup of tea. We ended up getting flasks of hot water from the butler twice a day to make our drinks.

Does anyone know if these little Nespresso machines were there before the recent dry dock upgrades or if they have always been another "feature" of that rather odd ship? If they are new and will be put, or have already been put in other ship suites after dry docks, we will have to start bringing our own instant special coffee packs in future.

The Lavazza machines were on the Epic when we cruised on her, several years ago.

I'm sorry to hear that there's a fleet-wide conversion to the Nespresso machines. Like many others, I do not think they are as good as the Lavazza machines. Obviously Nestle must have cut a deal with NCL.

I never used the Lavazza machine once on our previous cruise so I cannot really give a fair comparison between the 2 but I have a Nespresso machine at work and at home and I am completely satisfied with it. I am in my late 40's and did not start drinking any form of coffee until they added the Nespresso at our office and now I drink 1 or 2 per day. I convinced my wife to replace the Kuerig we had at home with a Nespresso and she is so much happier with the Nespresso. To be fair we have a Nespresso model at home that includes a milk warmer/frother that my wife loves and I don't believe they have these on the Epic but I think the quality of the Espresso/Coffee is not subpar.

I do remember being told to ask out butler how to work the Lavazza features and that it took him several minutes to go through them, I think the Nespresso is simpler to use and that might have also contributed to the switch.

I do remember being told to ask out butler how to work the Lavazza features and that it took him several minutes to go through them, I think the Nespresso is simpler to use and that might have also contributed to the switch.

The Nespresso is much simpler to use; in fact, other than the way it brews it's not really a complete espresso machine. While I'm sure simplicity is part of the reason for the switch, it's much more likely that Nestle paid NCL a lot of money for a "shot" (sorry for the pun) at a captive audience.

What I don't like about them is that I cannot use them to make an Americano (shot of espresso & hot water) as I could with the Lavazza machine.

Is there seriously no cut backs that FDR wont do. Pretty soon NCL is going to announce puppet shows to go along with hot dog night. First the cheap tea bags and now no more Lavazza.

What kind of cheap tea do they have? I might have to bring my own English Breakfast.

Getaway are Nespresso.....don't understand what everyone is unhappy about though. Never use them anyway.....we have the butler bring coffee and we don't drink espresso.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Getaway are Nespresso.....don't understand what everyone is unhappy about though. Never use them anyway.....we have the butler bring coffee and we don't drink espresso.

The Nespresso unit is coffee only, no milk frother (is that how you name it? :)) so making a cappuccino i.e. isn't possible.

And the Lavazza was grind and brew. A whole different machine than the simpler Nespresso with the single use pods. Not saying the Nespresso is less or bad (I own one myself lol)!

The Lavazza was a near full size machine with a much larger capacity than needed in room. And I suspect the maintenance/cleaning, parts and unit price on the Lavazza's was too hefty.

It wasn't cheap! It was Tea Forte on the Escape recently; pretty high end stuff!

They had about 5 flavors and I can only remember English Breakfast and Chai. I didn't drink any, but my friend drank a lot of it and thought it was great. They ran out towards the end of the cruise and then it was the same as they serve in the buffet.

What kind of cheap tea do they have? I might have to bring my own English Breakfast.

I'm sure you are correct....as mentioned, we had our coffee delivered by the butler and when we wanted hot chocolate he brought us a large pot.

Edited by watchdiva

It wasn't cheap! It was Tea Forte on the Escape recently; pretty high end stuff!

They had about 5 flavors and I can only remember English Breakfast and Chai. I didn't drink any, but my friend drank a lot of it and thought it was great. They ran out towards the end of the cruise and then it was the same as they serve in the buffet.

So could you make tea in your cabin? Does the coffee maker work for tea?