Skagway , what to do?

souto

I need some help about Skagway.

Could give me some suggestions on what to do, tell me some of yours experiences.

I do not want to do the train ride, maybe a city tour, any tour company?

Can I do it myself ?Gold Rush Cemetery , Lower Dewey Lake...:rolleyes:

I think that if you put the word "Skagway" in the "search" column on the Alaska page, you will find numerous ideas with some nicely detailed discussions, even photos. After doing that, if you have specific unanswered questions about some of the ones that sound good to you, you can post the specific question(s) on a new post and people will be very helpful. I think that's probably your most practical way of going about receiving what you'e looking for.

Edited by poss

Thank you all for such quick response.

I just did it Poss, sure had some good ideas.

Sorry, I am Marcia, going with my husband, and 21y son. We are from Brazil.

CruisermanVA,No problem with heights. I saw a tour by car, not by train to the white pass,thinking about...

CowPrincess -How do I get there?

Gold Rush Cemetery and Lower Dewey Lake, can I do walking?;)

Info on guided NPS tours:

http://www.nps.gov/klgo/planyourvisit/guidedtours.htm

The building is called "National Park Visitor Service Center" on this map:

http://www.alaskamagazine.com/images/articles/communities/skagway_lg.jpg

Yes you can do Gold Rush Cemetery and Lower Dewey Lake on your own, but good idea to get a map of the trail anyway. The walk to the cemetery is flat. Lower Dewey has some elevation gain, if I remember correctly.

Skagway and the term "city" are not compatible. The main part of town is one street, not much of a city to tour. There is a nice free guided National Park walk around town talking about the history, sign up at the visitor center. At the far end of main street is the Cemetery, probably a little over one mile one way.

Most ships have a pretty long port stop here, if you don't want to do the train I'd suggest renting a car and driving up into the Yukon. I took a flightseeing tour over Glacier Bay from Skagway with Mountain Flying service and loved it. (Paul is based down in Haines)

Like most towns/ports Skagway has a web site. There is info on excursions, vendors, maps, town bus, etc

http://skagway.com/

Most people either rent a car and drive to Emerald Lake or do the train.

A low key option is to participate in the ranger led tour offered thru the Gold Rush NP, then either walk to the Gold Rush Cemetary where some of the characters are buried, or, take the town bus which will drop you near it. At the edge of the cemetary is a trail to the Falls.

You can look at past trip reports to see what others did .... most ships stop there.

Such as AryMay's report from 2014 ; they rented a car but this page shows the last part of the drive including a stop at the Goldrush Cemetary and Falls:

http://mysouvenirmemories.blogspot.com/2014/12/skagway-part-2-wednesday-june-4.html

Edited by mapleleaves

I need some help about Skagway.

Could give me some suggestions on what to do, tell me some of yours experiences.

I do not want to do the train ride, maybe a city tour, any tour company?

Can I do it myself ?Gold Rush Cemetery , Lower Dewey Lake...:rolleyes:

Skagway is my fav port.... I enjoyed the train.

• Liarsville
  • Red Onion
  • Yukon/Carcross
  • walk through town

Here's a vid to give you some ideas...

[YOUTUBE]cF1l3vfKWAM[/YOUTUBE]

Skagway and the term "city" are not compatible. The main part of town is one street, not much of a city to tour. There is a nice free guided National Park walk around town talking about the history, sign up at the visitor center. At the far end of main street is the Cemetery, probably a little over one mile one way.

Most ships have a pretty long port stop here, if you don't want to do the train I'd suggest renting a car and driving up into the Yukon. I took a flightseeing tour over Glacier Bay from Skagway with Mountain Flying service and loved it. (Paul is based down in Haines)

Agree with this. We took a private tour up to the Yukon. Very beautiful and a comfortable scenic ride.

- Joel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

The last time DH and I cruised Alaska, we rented a jeep from Alaska Green Jeep in Skagway and had a wonderful day touring, believe it or not, Alaska, British Columbia, and the Yukon. The jeep comes with a guide book full of comprehensive directions, as well as information about your trip - where to stop (Emerald Lake), where to eat, etc. You can't get lost, the highway is the only one. We're planning on jeeping again this year:)

I wish we had more time in Skagway. I really liked that town. We rode the rail and it was great because my husband can't walk that far. I would have loved to take a formal tour and have someone tell me about the town. I found a fantastic quilt store there, but I am a quilter and spent a few hours there alone!

I like narrated tours -- so much to learn about a new place.